NHL'94 Forums

Goalie Lock - Genesis bug

Goalie lock is a super beyond annoying bug in the Genesis version. What happens is your control star gets suck on the goalie and you can't change off of him, but you can't even control the goalie. Basically you're just hung out to dry until one of your players on your team gets possession of the puck.

It doesn't just happen randomly, however. First off, you have to be in a situation where you don't have all 5 of your skaters out on the ice, (playing short handed, 4 on 4, 3 on 3, or using the 2on2 rom, etc.) Then, you have to make a bad pass with your goalie. If you just fire the puck away by pressing B (pass button on Genesis) with no target, you get goalie locked. As long as you aim at a player you won't get goalie locked even if the guy doesn't end up getting the pass. If you do end up getting goalie locked, there's nothing you can do but pray one of your guys gets possession of the puck, or that your guy comes out of the box. As soon as one of your players, including the goalie, gets the puck then your goalie lock is over and you can continue playing like normal.

Let me know if I missed anything!

pro tip: when your teammate is locked up in 2v2, take manual goalie and let your computer team mate scoop up the puck. skating towards the puck and switching to goalie right before you get to the puck is ideal.

i might hold the record for most time locked up. had to start using the A button lol

I thought it was common knowledge that it happens when you pass to nobody, but after talking with a few people maybe it isn't? Anybody else have any thoughts on when it goalie locks? And any chance of Smoz using his magic powers to fix it? :P

I think 95% of the time I get goalie lock is when I pass from the goalie into the boards around center ice. I don't believe I get locked if I pass directly into the boards horizontally or launch it vertically (i.e. both to no one).

Interesting that you needed to be a man down for it to happen....that's something new to me. Then again, 99% of the time I experience goalie lock is in 2v2 games.

pro tip: when your teammate is locked up in 2v2, take manual goalie and let your computer team mate scoop up the puck. skating towards the puck and switching to goalie right before you get to the puck is ideal.

i might hold the record for most time locked up. had to start using the A button lol

I'm pretty sure you can only switch to the goalie in 2on2 if you're the center. (player 1 or player 2) If you're the winger then I don't think it lets you be the goalie if your partner is goalie locked.

Yeah, you're always down a man when it happens. Whenever you have all 5 skaters you can't get goalie locked. And if you're down a man and he comes back on, your star is automatically switched to that player. Maybe it tries to switch your star to the player who isn't on the ice when you pass to nobody for some reason and that's why it's locked?

so, is it when you pass to the guy on the bench, then? is it only when your pass is directed at the penalty bench?

would it be only when the benched guy is the closest recipient, then?

I'm pretty sure you can only switch to the goalie in 2on2 if you're the center. (player 1 or player 2) If you're the winger then I don't think it lets you be the goalie if your partner is goalie locked.

the winger can be goalie anytime. for myself, getting locked up as goalie while being player 3 or 4 is common