NHL'94 Forums

Updating NHL94.com Homepage

chaos

Hey Guys,

I'm going to try and update some of the info on the main page this weekend. I don't have full access to the page, but I will try to do what I can by using some loopholes.

First thing is updating the menubar on both nhl94.com and nhl94online.com so it works in mobile browsers. I found out the ones used were generated by some software Evan must have used back in the day, and aren't compatible with mobile browsers. I will try to fix this on the weekend.

I know others have stated about updating the Online Gaming tab with currently run leagues; I can do that too.

A couple guys have complained about grammatical errors. I'll work on this.

Any other suggestions? I can get the easy ones out of the way this weekend.

There might be another post on suggestions somewhere, but I'm too lazy to search for it.

I have lots of suggestions bud....we can talk about it over some beer and wings...when you wanna go?

thanks for taking this on, Chaos. that is right proper of you, good sir.

Edited by trudatman

• 2 weeks later...

I've edited the "Getting Started" page a little bit and changed some of the nav bar menu drop-downs. I've added some new links in the Online Gaming drop down and the Other Links drop down.

If you guys can give me some feedback, I would appreciate it. Let me know what other things you would like to see in the drop down menus.

My next plan is to update the Download packages and add them to the front page of nhl94.com.

Wookie's suggentions pretty much put together all the different things members want, making 94.com more accessible to noobs & more focussed on the online league community.

I have lots of suggestions bud....we can talk about it over some beer and wings...when you wanna go?

Man I want some beer & buffalo wings! Egan's in Montclair NJ used to do sum great ones!

wings-and-beer-nc_gdgd.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1342458878247

Montclair, NJ is my hometown! If anybody wants to meet me for beer, wings, and NHL '94 I will gladly meet you at Egan's!

By the way, My post about updating the website was in the "Growing the Game" thread: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/14380-growing-the-game/#entry117515

LOL at the popcorn. Has anyone ever done an "NHL '94 Weekly" type of magazine / blog?

Possible features:

Game of the week - with video, box score, and/or write-up

Play(s) of the week - short video clip(s)

Standings Snapshot

Player Stats Snapshot (where available)

Player(s) of the week - from league play that uses stats

Weekly Poll

Interviews

Write-Ups on League Milestones (Sign-Ups, Drafts, Playoffs, etc)

Forum Fodder

NHL News

Video Game News

Weekly, monthly, quarterly, and/or yearly awards for the awesome buds in the community that make it a truly special place and/or had significant accomplishments.

Anybody else interested in this? If we could incorporate videos into a web magazine, how sweet would that be??

I'm thinking this could be fairly easy, just by compiling the best posts from the forum over the course of a week, paraphrasing some of them, and putting them together in a nice format. I've been learning Wordpress as a CMS lately, and I'd love to take this project on.

Raph has been doing a great job with Survivor and Blitz write-ups. Others have written some cool stuff and provided just the right amount of irreverent belligerence. The thing we've been lacking lately are videos, but I guess those mainly come out during playoff time.

NHL '94 WEEKLY. Let's take this to the next level.

http://www.nhl94.com can remain as a comprehensive hub for all things NHL '94, and the central news section can be replaced with a section of images (picture/headline) that link to the weekly blog's top articles. We can even set this up with an RSS Feed for minimum maintenance time. Am I crazy, or does this make sense?

Edited by da94wookiee

Hmm... well... hate is a strong word. Maybe it's because most people in Montclair are really good at NHL '94 and don't blame the computer when they lose. :glare:

lol. Not biting. But maybe the people in Montclair just think they're a lot better at '94 than they really are? Who knows.

Actually when I was there I was working with a bunch of other English guys & it was a real "school playground" atmosphere. You wouldn't believe some of the total BS that went on as people tried to get one over on others and put others down. Was crazy.

I would definitely say there are a lot of people there who are in their own personal rat-race though. Just part of the NJ/NY culture. I went into an electrical shop in NYC once looking for an iron. The cheapest iron was like $70 for some crappy $15 model. Obviously I was like "F!*# that, i'm not paying that", and the old boy who owned the place went crazy at me for wasting his time! lol. Just one of many examples of NJ/NY people. I remember once getting on a bus into NYC at the traffic lights because it didn't stop at the bus stop when I tried to flag it down. When the driver opened the door he started moaning at me for not waving him down (Obviously didn't see me) and said he only opened the door because he was standing at the lights.............I was so shocked, it was only when I sat down I thought "Hold on, i'm the F#"!*n customer here!!!"

I do have to say i've still got lots of friends there & met some good people, but it just seems a real highly strung place, where manners get left at the door. I could give you so many other examples like the ones above in shops, restaraunts, airports. It's just the way a lot of people are in their jobs there it seems. Good experience & NYC is still my favourite place in the world, but certainly don't miss living there!

I went into an electrical shop in NYC once looking for an iron.

wtf...

Possible features:

Game of the week - with video, box score, and/or write-up

Play(s) of the week - short video clip(s)

Standings Snapshot

Player Stats Snapshot (where available)

Player(s) of the week - from league play that uses stats

Weekly Poll

Interviews

Write-Ups on League Milestones (Sign-Ups, Drafts, Playoffs, etc)

Forum Fodder

NHL News

Video Game News

Weekly, monthly, quarterly, and/or yearly awards for the awesome buds in the community that make it a truly special place and/or had significant accomplishments.

Anybody else interested in this? If we could incorporate videos into a web magazine, how sweet would that be??

This is a great idea. I'd love to see this happen and I'd be glad to help. My guess is you'd be the editor-in-chief, running the whole thing, but would need contributions from the rest of the community. My concern would be the workload involved in keeping this up weekly. Bi-weekly may be a better place to start.

We would also have to get into the habit to hit "record" for every game, so we can process and highlights and/or games for the vids. That'd be a lot of fun.

I like the layout a lot! I'm hoping this continues to build up momentum...great job!

Thanks Man. I just used a "Weekly" Wordpress Template. I'm gonna be sprucing it up quite a bit in the near future. Gotta get back to the real world for the next couple days. :exciting:

when i visit nhl94.com, the top of the page is all messed up now. is anyone else experiencing this? the blue writing on the gray/black background is impossible to read (LOL IRONY)

I think it could use different colors or at least a bigger font in a few columns instead of one big long one

looks fine for me. could it be a colorblindness thing? what type of hardware and software are you using to view it?

when i visit nhl94.com, the top of the page is all messed up now. is anyone else experiencing this? the blue writing on the gray/black background is impossible to read (LOL IRONY)

I think it could use different colors or at least a bigger font in a few columns instead of one big long one

You might need to clear your cookies. What browser are you using?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Updated the front page a little:

Included a section on online leagues:

Please let me know if any mistakes were made, or if any of the guys who run the leagues want the description and/or links changed.

I will add the NHL '13 Fantasy League to the list once it is ready to go.

Added new links to the "Other Links" tab.

Hid some old news links. Should shorten the page a little. Can be viewed by clicking the Archived News link.

I also updated the downloads on nhl94online.com. The Gens Package should include all the correct files, including the kailleraclient.dll from the blitz download page and smoz's updated Gens-netplay emulator that fixed the resizing issue.

Some of those download links were broken - I fixed that.

I will update the downloads page on NHL94.com tomorrow. I would like to get all current league ROMs on there for download, and remove some old download links. Also, update the editing program downloads to their current version.

Any opinions on the front page? Just starting to learn CSS; I would really like to redo the whole site and make it look nicer, but that will take a while. If it looks ugly, you think some things should be moved around, etc., let me know.

Thanks!

I think I might just make the Active Online League stuff its own page and add a Quick Links section above the News. I can put the Online League page, Downloads, and some other stuff there.

excellence. thanks for bettering our community, buddy.

Let's put the GA Tribute in the video section :)