NHL'94 Forums

Goalie Puck Control

da94wookiee

Since we are talking about all this stuff, I was wondering if anyone's ever brought up the Goalie Puck Control being way too inflated in NHL '94.

I love throwing a pass from my goalie to my winger streaking for a breakaway, but how often do you see that in a real hockey game?

Has anyone considered making ROMs where most goalie's have 0 for PC and the best ones are only a 2 or 3?

pretty sure this controls their ability to cover/contain the puck (and not give up juicy rebounds). not even sure lowering it would do anything to their passing abilities, but I'm curious. would you be willing to make a few adjustments and run some simulations?

Puck control has a large effect on save percentage. not sure what affects their passing.

Any aspiring ROM code hackers, hit me up on AIM and I can get you started on discovering what stat if any affects goalie passing.

They don't have offensive awareness in 94, do they?

mm. yeah, actually, I think Smoz proved they do and that it's even calculated into their overalls. I might be wrong on those, though. I guess that could be their passing (not sure what else it would do), but I don't think it is. test it.

but was it you that showed that it is calculated in their overalls? am I misremebering the whole thing?

I just noticed that Patrick Roy and Ed Belfour seem to be the best passing goalies in the game, and they both have exceptional Puck Control. Something else occurred to me: Is it possible that high offensive awareness means that when that player has the puck, players without the puck become smarter?

I also thought that offensive awareness impacts goalies' positioning in terms of moving closer to the other end... which might be good because the farther away from their net they move, the more they can cut off shooting angles.

interesting theories.

Surely to stop the goalies turning into Dan Marinos you'd need to restrict them to only weak, short distance passes?

I think that this really depends on the coach's skill in question when you're moving around with the goalie who's controlling the puck. Y'see, one of the first things your instincts tell you is to get that puck moving, especially when you're trying to get that oh-so needed goal and the goaltender might just be the one guy that sparks up the play. So then, you try to make the play and you pass as you find the right angle, the right spot and the right player to pass the puck. It takes some good control, vision and quickness to get the play right, but this is one of the best plays you can make.

Look, I'm not a stats/hack nerd like Smoz is. My point is some goalies can do it pretty well and it all depends on what you're doing with them. I should probably make a list on some of the best passing goalies tomorrow.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic, but puck control pertains to the goalie's ability to not let the puck get through when it hits him. Shoot slap shots at the five-holes of the CPU goalies with the lowest puck-control ratings, and you'll see that you score more goals through their five-hole. Do the same thing against goalies with 99 puck control, and you'll see a lot fewer five-hole goals. The goalies with the best puck control will give up fewer rebounds and fewer five-hole goals.

As for goalie passing, I have a feeling that defensive awareness and/or offensive awareness have something to do with how well they pass the puck. Or maybe it's their speed rating? I never bothered to figure out what it was because just about any goalie can pass well in the game.

• 4 months later...

I am sure Off. awareness has an affect on something. Its not listed in the game in the goalie skills but its editable in the editor in both versions (SNES and Genesis). And unlike Stick Handling, Checking and Shot Accuracy the values are originally set to higher numbers than 25.

Goalikeepers rated 100: Belfour, Joseph, Potvin

85: Fuhr, Hasek, Blue, Vanbiesbrouck, Stauber, Barrasso, Soderstrom, Essensa, Whitmore

Rest 65 or less.

I don't think it is passing because Hasek was pretty bad with the stick and he is rated 85. And Hextall is not 100 or even 85!

Edited by DominikJagr

• 1 year later...