NHL'94 Forums

NHL’94 SUPER NINTENDO HIGHLIGHTS

What better way to showcase your skills than to play with your favorite team? 

If Tiger Woods played his whole career with his favorite clubs then suddenly was forced to play with Happy Gilmore's ratty old clubs then he'd certainly have a problem with it. 

I too disagree with the random teams as you are only playing handicapped (no matter how good you are) and the true spirit of the game is not allowed to shine through.

How's that for over dramatic? :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hi bud's in future SNES NHL'94 tournaments I would like to see a side tournament that starts around 3:00 pm the day of the tournament so players eliminated can still play some SNES NHL'94. We keep a record of wins and loses on a big board for everybody to see. It's a one game winner goes on. You can play as any team except AllStar teams. $5 to play. So the winner get's $5 each game he wins! See how many wins a player can get. Have this tournament on the side of the main tournament. We could even do 2 vs 2. What does Halifax and the SNES NHL'94 community think of this? It would have been fun in Las Vegas to have played on the same team or against Casey, Halifax, Dangler, Adam and Annatar and others...

I finally put my cell phone video on YouTube. Congrats Jamil! What a moment! Great Celebration! 

SNES NHL'94 Las Vegas 2017 World Championship goal video by Jamil Karimani from Vancouver beating Adam Giles (Bob Kudelski) from Ottawa in game 7 Overtime!

IMG_4344.PNG

Edited by JeffBC
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2017 at 12:32 AM, CaseBC said:

What better way to showcase your skills than to play with your favorite team? 

If Tiger Woods played his whole career with his favorite clubs then suddenly was forced to play with Happy Gilmore's ratty old clubs then he'd certainly have a problem with it. 

I too disagree with the random teams as you are only playing handicapped (no matter how good you are) and the true spirit of the game is not allowed to shine through.

How's that for over dramatic? :lol:

Sticking with the golf analogy... I feel that people who only play with one team are like people who only play miniputt or only go to the driving range, but never play an actual 18 holes and use all the different clubs. (pun not intended, but pretty apropos)

But then a similar argument could be made for using Line Changes :)

Anyway, try playing with all the teams! It's really fun! My buddy and I made a huge schedule where every team played every other team, and we played it.. it was amazing. The time Doug Wilson scored an overtime breakaway goal on Patrick Roy to win it in overtime... The unexpected result of Buffalo sucking and Dallas being pretty good... The time I had a full half-neutral-zone breakaway with Scott Mellanby and he was so slow he got caught before he even hit the blueline and we laughed our butts off.

11 hours ago, JeffBC said:

Hi bud's in future SNES NHL'94 tournaments I would like to see a side tournament that starts around 3:00 pm the day of the tournament so players eliminated can still play some SNES NHL'94.

I think Halifax has something like this planned already actually? Or he tested it out in Edmonton or something like that? Anyway, I agree, I like the idea of keeping people playing :)

(On the other hand, I think it would be cool to have a game up on a projector the whole time so we can foster a good spectator sport environment)

• Love 1

21 hours ago, JeffBC said:

Hi bud's in future SNES NHL'94 tournaments I would like to see a side tournament that starts around 3:00 pm the day of the tournament so players eliminated can still play some SNES NHL'94. We keep a record of wins and loses on a big board for everybody to see. It's a one game winner goes on. You can play as any team except AllStar teams. $5 to play. So the winner get's $5 each game he wins! See how many wins a player can get. Have this tournament on the side of the main tournament. We could even do 2 vs 2. What does Halifax and the SNES NHL'94 community think of this? It would have been fun in Las Vegas to have played on the same team or against Casey, Halifax, Dangler, Adam and Annatar and others...

10 hours ago, smozoma said:

I think Halifax has something like this planned already actually? Or he tested it out in Edmonton or something like that? Anyway, I agree, I like the idea of keeping people playing :)

(On the other hand, I think it would be cool to have a game up on a projector the whole time so we can foster a good spectator sport environment)

For the next King of 94 tournament, we will be putting a "non-qualifier's bracket" if you will, for all those that don't move on to the next round. There wouldn't be a fee as the fee was already paid. The winner would get a prize of some sorts, or cash, or a combination of the two. It would be single elimination, as Jeff suggested. I'm actually been re-thinking the non use of all stars. In the edmonton tourney, I let some of the guys call that match-up, East vs West. They enjoyed it, and I kind of wondered why not use it. It's only going to be called once anyways by any person anyways.

There were plans in place to have a 2 on 2 event at Vegas, but that didn't happen in the end. I plan to see it implemented at the next one. 

On 10/6/2017 at 11:56 PM, CaseBC said:

I can't wait for the rematch!

Ottawa Kudelski 6.gif

1280px-Canucks_Logo_1978_to_1997 4 A.png

not sure how I missed this before...love this!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bob Kudelski said:

I like this side-tournament idea, and I think the $5 per game should be part of any informal gaming that happens.

This is common in the Smash scene https://www.ssbwiki.com/money_match

On the Sega side, I always thought it would be fun to have a mini live draft tournament. With a laptop and an Everdrive, you could create the teams as they are selected. Would need multiple Everdrives to play on more than one console however.

Edited by jer_33

I'm going to Jamil's house tomorrow for some SNES NHL'94!

Jamil is the Las Vegas 2017 SNES NHL'94 World Champion! It should be a great battle! Too bad my buddy Adam Giles (Bob Kudelski) isn't part of this. We could have played winner plays until he gets beat. Bring it on bud! It should be a great time!

Jamil and I (Jeff) in Las Vegas 2017

IMG_2814.PNG

Edited by JeffBC
  • Like 1

that is awesome.  (I would love to host anybody SNESing their way through Maine.  I live where the drinking water comes from -- holler.)  have fun, guys!

7 hours ago, JeffBC said:

I'm going to Jamil's house tomorrow for some SNES NHL'94!

Jamil is the Las Vegas 2017 SNES NHL'94 World Champion! It should be a great battle! Too bad my buddy Adam Giles (Bob Kudelski) isn't part of this. We could have played winner plays until he gets beat. Bring it on bud! It should be a great time!

Yeah, don't think I can make it this weekend bud. Good luck!

• Like 1

I went to Jamil's house in Vancouver and I had a great time so much fun! I played good but not great like Jammer! I didn't even win 1 game but I took him to OT in 1 game. He proved to me that he is the best SNES NHL'94 player in the world! The best player I've ever played! Congrats bud I look forward to one day in my life beating you in a series but right now that is in my dreams! Jamil you are a class act and on your game that I can't imagine anybody in the world beating you right now or ever in a series!

It was great in the Las Vegas 2017 SNES NHL'94 tournament that I got to hang out and talk with Dangler for 30 mins. Dangler I thought was the greatest for awhile at this game like me :)! Dangler didn't make it to the end in the Las Vegas tournament but I was a fan of his and cheering for him! Jamil's friend Kris came in 3rd in the Las Vegas 2017 SNES NHL'94 tournament and his friend Kevin and Rick are great players also!

Come to Vancouver and run through the gauntlet against Andrew, Casey, Jeff, Rick, Kevin, Kris and Jamil and see if you can beat us all! WE ARE THE BAR! I want Adam Giles (Bob Kudelski) to one day maybe years from now come down to Vancouver for a few days and we can do the rematch right!

I'm proud to call Jammer my bud and he's from Vancouver! If you want to be the best SNES NHL'94 player you have to beat the best and that is Jamil!

IMG_4638.PNG

IMG_4622.PNG

Edited by JeffBC

10 hours ago, Premium said:

How does winning a corny SNES tournament, beating Bob Kudelski and beating JeffBC make you the best player in the world? I don't believe this guy is the best player in the world.

Anyone who can beat me is, for that moment in time, for all intents and purposes, the best in the world. Haha JK of course.

Seriously though, given the talent in Vegas, I completely agree Jamil IS best in the world. Yes, he beat me, and he beat Annatar 2-0 in best of three. He also won a tourney that included Dangler, AngryJay, Stheds2000, KingRaph, the90Jacket, tylerdeanhill, Halifax, Chaos (sorry I know I'm forgetting someone). He did it all in a high pressure situation, with the whole NHL 94 community watching.

Edited by Bob Kudelski
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bob Kudelski said:

(sorry I know I'm forgetting someone). 

:ninja: smozoma with the strong 16th-place finish, by cheesing better players with expansion team matchups

We need Jammer and Mikhail to play each other to unify the King of '94 'belt' :) 

My feeling is that if Jammer beat BobK and annatar after they've already played Mikhail (in theory learning some new techniques), then Jamil gets the #1 rank.

4 hours ago, Bob Kudelski said:

Anyone who can beat me is, for that moment in time, for all intents and purposes, the best in the world. Haha JK of course.

Seriously though, given the talent in Vegas, I completely agree Jamil IS best in the world. Yes, he beat me, and he beat Annatar 2-0 in best of three. He also won a tourney that included Dangler, AngryJay, Stheds2000, KingRaph, the90Jacket, tylerdeanhill, Halifax, Chaos (sorry I know I'm forgetting someone). He did it all in a high pressure situation, with the whole NHL 94 community watching.

Get back to reality.

The King of '94 is nothing more than a get-together with NHL'94 on the side. The tournament is there for you guys to grab a drink and hang out in person. Why play it off as if it's the Wimbledon of NHL '94?

The actual format is something you would set up for your 12-year old son's birthday party. I'm not understanding how coin flips and best-of-ones and best-of-threes determine who the best players are? 

Edited by Premium

29 minutes ago, Premium said:

Get back to reality.

The King of '94 is nothing more than a get-together with NHL'94 on the side. The tournament is there for you guys to grab a drink and hang out in person. Why play it off as if it's the Wimbledon of NHL '94?

The actual format is something you would set up for your 12-year old son's birthday party. I'm not understanding how coin flips and best-of-ones and best-of-threes determine who the best players are? 

#1 King of 94 is awesome.
#2 Very little drinking.
#3 The hanging out together is great.
#4 It is the Premier Event/Title you can win in 94.
#5 It is kinda like a 12 year old birthday party (which is awesome)
#6 What format would you propose for people traveling from all over the USA and Canada.
#7 I would love to see you come to one as you are obviously one of the best players in the World. (For what that is worth:haha:)

Edited by CoachMac
  • Like 1

Come'on plabs, do not speak of what you do not know. Live games without question produce the best results.

JeffBC is taking it over the top IMO (Adam lost a 1 goal game for the money).

57 minutes ago, Bob Kudelski said:

When it comes to playing NHL 94, there's nothing more "real" than a live tournament with real money and bragging rights at stake.

I agree... however how you play it is more important. You guys are playing in a live tournament but under what rules? Coin flips and best-of-one or three series? How do you gain bragging rights from playing like that? What is there to brag about? Why not play blindfolded or play first goal wins.. it wouldn't matter because it would be in person, right?

1 hour ago, CoachMac said:

#1 King of 94 is awesome.
#2 Very little drinking.
#3 The hanging out together is great.
#4 It is the Premier Event/Title you can win in 94.
#5 It is kinda like a 12 year old birthday party (which is awesome)
#6 What format would you propose for people traveling from all over the USA and Canada.
#7 I would love to see you come to one as you are obviously one of the best players in the World. (For what that is worth:haha:)

I'm sure the King of '94 is awesome. I don't like how people are acting as if it's the World Cup of NHL '94. I don't see how it can be the Premier Event to win in NHL '94 because of the format.

Why not make the tournament three days and have all round-robin matchups best of 3, then have everyone who advances past it everyone play best-of-5 or best-of-7? Also, let people choose their teams maybe... Anyone can win King of '94 with the current format. That's why the winners are not even community members. 

45 minutes ago, jer_33 said:

Come'on plabs, do not speak of what you do not know. Live games without question produce the best results.

JeffBC is taking it over the top IMO (Adam lost a 1 goal game for the money).

Playing live games does produce the best results, but you need to play enough games. A small sample size does no good, and the King of '94 produces a very small one. BobK and Jamil had a max of just seven games combined through winners and losers even though they played in Grand Finals and reset the bracket. That's ridiculous. The equivalent for many other competitive video games would be fifteen games (3x best-of-five going to game five), which is more than double of what King of '94 offers.

13 minutes ago, Premium said:

I agree... however how you play it is more important. You guys are playing in a live tournament but under what rules? Coin flips and best-of-one or three series? How do you gain bragging rights from playing like that? What is there to brag about? Why not play blindfolded or play first goal wins.. it wouldn't matter because it would be in person, right?

I'm sure the King of '94 is awesome. I don't like how people are acting as if it's the World Cup of NHL '94. I don't see how it can be the Premier Event to win in NHL '94 because of the format.

Why not make the tournament three days and have all round-robin matchups best of 3, then have everyone who advances past it everyone play best-of-5 or best-of-7? Also, let people choose their teams maybe... Anyone can win King of '94 with the current format. That's why the winners are not even community members. 

Playing live games does produce the best results, but you need to play enough games. A small sample size does no good, and the King of '94 produces a very small one. BobK and Jamil had a max of just seven games combined through winners and losers even though they played in Grand Finals and reset the bracket. That's ridiculous. The equivalent for many other competitive video games would be fifteen games (3x best-of-five going to game five), which is more than double of what King of '94 offers.

I would  be happy to come play in a 3 day LIVE event but that may be a tough sell as we can't get everybody to a 1 day event.

The second argument is ridiculous, The World Cup?  The Olympics?  are very small samples.

In fact all major sports PLAYOFFS are small samples.  Why not make the Presidents Trophy winner the Stanley Cup winner.  It is a much larger sample of excellence.

How about the 18-0 Patriots obviously better than the NYG, but the NYG are Super Bowl Champs and that is what matters.

2 hours ago, CoachMac said:

I would  be happy to come play in a 3 day LIVE event but that may be a tough sell as we can't get everybody to a 1 day event.

The second argument is ridiculous, The World Cup?  The Olympics?  are very small samples.

In fact all major sports PLAYOFFS are small samples.  Why not make the Presidents Trophy winner the Stanley Cup winner.  It is a much larger sample of excellence.

How about the 18-0 Patriots obviously better than the NYG, but the NYG are Super Bowl Champs and that is what matters.

The World Cup and Olympics are only considered to be premier events because of hype and tradition. They are established, prestigious events that bring out the best of the best and have this aura of being the "best". The prestige in winning them comes from the fact that the events are held in high regard. However, you can't go around talking about being the best because of a World Cup or an Olympic Gold Medal. There are other events that determine who the best really are because the format is better at doing so. In the case of the Super Bowl, there is no alternative.

While major sports playoffs are small samples, they are large enough. You could make the President's Trophy winner the Cup winner too.

Edited by Premium

In baseball simulators, one of the greatest teams in all sports is the 1927 NY Yankees. 

What makes them great was how much better they were then the next best team on multiple levels.  Its almost impossible to find a team with a larger statistical gap between them & the rest of the league.  It's not that they would be great talent wise compared to other teams from different eras, just compared to their own league at that time.

Reason I mention them is using the high tech simulators they have these days, &&& the goofy wild card playoff setup of MLB of today, the 1927 Yanks have a 30% of winning the World Series win you run the simulators vs their own league that they dominate.

So, the "best" does not always win , even in simulators.  Trying to remove the "factors" that diminish the value of some wins in a tourney that you could point to as "lucky" or "random, is a noble cause.  Going more games doesn't always produce more verified results.

Basically, I'm not knocking Plabax very real criticisms of a one day tourney, but at some time, you HAVE TO give credit to those who actually won the real life event over the one who was supposed to win.

giants are the SB champs, USA hockey vs Ussr , etc.

Bragging rights always go to the guy who actually showed up & won.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

SNES NHL '94 Jeresy Hall of fame! Nice Darrell! It has the L and R buttons on the shoulders! Wow!

IMG_6487.PNG

IMG_6488.PNG

IMG_6005.PNG

I have this multitap so I can get 5 players to play at the same time. I'd like to see in a SNES NHL'94 side tournament have the best players like Jammer vs 4 other players and keep track of points for the team that has the 4 players. See who wins! See if the Champ ever loses. Video tape it. Great goals, great saves and great games would happen.

Edited by JeffBC
  • Like 1