NHL'94 Forums

SNES Choppy and Can't Change Your Lineup

OldSchoolGamer

I grew up playing (Genesis) NHLPA NHL '93 and (SNES) NHL '94. Those two games I like the most out of the series due to them being great games and the nostalgia factor. When I finally got into the emulation scene a couple decades later, I tried out the rest of the games in the series for the Genesis and SNES. The Genesis and SNES versions each have their positives and negatives. But there is one game that stood out like a soar thumb. And that game is the SNES version of NHLPA NHL '93. At first I thought it was just emulated poorly, but I realized that wasn't the case. The two main things that slapped my face were the inability to edit/change my lineup and the atrocious choppy gameplay. I read that the game was ported over from the Genesis. So I have a couple questions:

• Why did they take away the ability to edit your lineup?
  • Why is this the only game that is choppy? All the other SNES versions are fine, so I don't get why this one was so choppy.

Everyone has their own opinion to which game and system for that game they like the most. But I can't possibly see a single person saying that they like the (SNES) NHLPA NHL '93 game the most out of the SNES/Genesis series.

Edited by OldSchoolGamer

Having done a little bit of hacking in the SNES 93 code, my opinion was that it was a rushed port. I think I read that elsewhere, too, and the guys doing the port were not very experienced and did not have a lot of time.

The hardware of the systems is different, so my guess as to why it's choppy is that the SNES just didn't work well with the way the Genesis version was programmed.

But yeah, there's no point playing SNES 93, when it's just a bad copy of Genesis 93.

rushed port, exactly.

93 on Genesis was the same game as 94 except without goalie control or the A flip. So basically it was a worse version of 94. Genesis 95 was terrible, and 96+ was a totally different game, which almost everybody agrees isn't as good as 94 (although I do play 96 occasionally with Voc)

SNES was just awful every year except 94.

Protip: There is really no reason to play any year other than 94 in SNES or Genesis ;)

• 2 weeks later...

NHLPA 93 for the SNES was the version I played the most when I was little, so I have a soft spot for it despite the fact that it's sluggish and that it left out features that were in the Genesis version. It's also kind of a comfort thing for me because I played it while I was recovering from a really bad alergic reaction to a shot when I was little.

I admit it isn't nearly as good as any of the other SNES/Genesis versions of the game, but I still like it the most out of all of them. You could easily say my bias toward the game is because of my experiences connected to it, and not a reflection of the quality of the game. I probably would prefer Genesis 93 if I had never played SNES 93 as a little girl. XP

I think the one thing I like at all about SNES 93 is that in the offensive zone, the players aren't roaming around way too freely. It gives the player a lot of freedom to wheel and deal with passing sequences. Unfortunately, with no one timer and choppy movements, it doesn't really help much for setting up scoring.

Then again, that's probably why you can score on sequences with SNES 94...a bit of free roaming by the players which creates miscues, odd-man setups, missed assignments, etc. that open up plays for scoring.

I dunno, either way 94 is superior overall and always will be I think :)

• 2 weeks later...

93 on Genesis was the same game as 94 except without goalie control or the A flip. So basically it was a worse version of 94. Genesis 95 was terrible, and 96+ was a totally different game, which almost everybody agrees isn't as good as 94 (although I do play 96 occasionally with Voc)

SNES was just awful every year except 94.

Protip: There is really no reason to play any year other than 94 in SNES or Genesis ;)

I dont really agree with that because I love the way NHLPA 93 plays compared to NHL 94. 93 has fighting, which affects the overall strategy of the game because a goon can knock out your star player for the game. I love that aspect, and its missing in 94. 93 also plays much differently than 94. crazier bounces and more fun gameplay in my opinion. :)

Yeah I agree about the fighting... people always talk about adding fighting to 94 but that seems impossible. What about adding goalie control and the A flip (and anything else that is missing) to 93?

I suppose taking Genesis '93 and hacking in goalie control and one-timers would be slightly easier than adding fighting to '94. SNES '93 isn't worth the effort, to me. the skating and framerates are lacking to the point where the good qualities don't make a dent in redeeming the thing. I don't think more options would balance out the suckiness.

in SNES '94, if the penalty lengths are set to five minutes (there are two different roughing penalties, I extended the injuring roughing to result in five minutes on the bench), the skaters have about twenty seconds to congregate and brawl before the instigator is sent to sit and the action resumes. players are free to pair up and dance with their full arsenal of moves available. it isn't fighting like they had in other version with single partners on stage in a spotlight, but it does resemble the chaos after an injury in "today's" non-lockout NHL. don't let me stop anybody from being the hero to add fighting to '94, but it isn't at all likely and neither is adding later features to '93, at least not the SNES version.