NHL'94 Forums

6-button Controller Round-up

jer_33

WOW! hopes its durable.

WTH is that you're using EA?

Just got it last night and played some 2v2. Luckily was able to blame a poor performance on a new controller. ;)

As for durability, this thing has a lot going for it. There are a lot of cheap 6-button pads out ther - but this one feels very solid.

• 3 weeks later...

yo dudes. ive been off and on this site for a couple years now. this is probably my first post.. wondering if anyone has had this issue. I purchased an original Sega Saturn japanese controller on ebay.(the grey one). and bought a mayflash usb SS adapter. i map the buttons in gens and when playing i cannot move DIAGONALLY. the player actually just stops altogether when i attempt to press two directions at once. its considered a "plug and play" and installs no drivers. i thought maybe that might have something to do with the problem. anyone have any diagonal issues or fixes??? any help would be appreciated. i do have a working sega genesis/ usb combo but was looking to upgrade to saturn one before starting fall. also, the saturn controller/adapter does work correctly in other emulators.. thanks buds

No experience with this particular adapter - though I'll be curious to hear if others have. I've had the exact same problem with a PS1 adapter, and have just never attempted to resolve it.

One thing that will work, is to map GENS to your keyboard and use mapping software (I've used Xpadder). Example, map the 8 directions to the numbers on your keypad, then use the mapping software to chain them together (8=up, 6=right.. etc).

No experience with this particular adapter - though I'll be curious to hear if others have. I've had the exact same problem with a PS1 adapter, and have just never attempted to resolve it.

One thing that will work, is to map GENS to your keyboard and use mapping software (I've used Xpadder). Example, map the 8 directions to the numbers on your keypad, then use the mapping software to chain them together (8=up, 6=right.. etc).

Thanks a ton. Xpadder didn't work for me since it relies on controllers having drivers.(this SS adapter does not).. However it led me on the right track to find an alternative. An app called Antimicro. Seems to work like a charm. Thanks man!

So, I'm reading this and it's something I know I'm going to have to re-figure out myself shortly as I bought a new CPU last night (too lazy to bother w/ installing & testing NHL94 on it last night given the joystick/Windows 10 potential issues).

When I used to plug in my PS3 joystick into my laptop, unless I used the Motionjoy? software, the buttons behaved the same as you are describing. When I tried to skate on an angle, the player stopped moving!

I did SOMETHING a few years back, and I no longer needed the software from Motionjoy in order to get the PS3 joystick to work properly on my laptop. I don't remember what though.

Recently, at work, I brought both my PS3 & PS4 joysticks in to do a test. The PS4 joystick plugged in and the ANALOG sticks worked great, but the D Pad button had the same problem, where pushing two of the D Pad buttons would result in non-movement, instead of an angle. When I plugged in the PS3 joystick, none of it worked. No recognition of the D Pad or Analog sticks. I'm not sure if it's because I already had plugged in the PS4 or what, but PS3 is not working on the work computer, and that's the joystick of preference for me.

SOOOO, I'm assuming that installing drivers or something like that is what I did, but I don't remember. Aside from running ANOTHER program in the background, I'd like to try to figure it out. I'm going to save my energy to get the one at HOME working first, and then hopefully, use that intel to get the PS3 at work to "work".

Any ideas/updates as we go are always helpful.

So, I'm reading this and it's something I know I'm going to have to re-figure out myself shortly as I bought a new CPU last night (too lazy to bother w/ installing & testing NHL94 on it last night given the joystick/Windows 10 potential issues).

If my new PC (with Windows 10) ends up having issues with 94, I'm going to flip the F out and smash either it or the old one. I'm not kidding. Or I'll play with the old one on Wifi and like AJ says "you're just gonna have to deal with it". Blood already starting to boil because I know my luck, nothing works as it is supposed to.

Edited by Uncle Seth

If my new PC (with Windows 10) ends up having issues with 94, I'm going to flip the F out and smash either it or the old one. I'm not kidding. Or I'll play with the old one on Wifi and like AJ says "you're just gonna have to deal with it". Blood already starting to boil because I know my luck, nothing works as it is supposed to.

Plabax is like the only guy to have a windows 8 or newer that hasn't had any problems.

New computers + 94 = crap shoot

Just had to post this.. not in any way endorsing the item (these aren't the worst 3rd party USB controllers, but for the price you can still buy better quality used stuff).

COMMUNIST CHINESE MANUFACTURED GAME CONTROLLER FOR SEGA MASTER SYSTEM OR SEGA GENESIS/ MEGA DRIVE. MANUFACTURED BY POLITICAL PRISONERS FOR THE GLORY OF THE STATE AND THE REVOLUTION. WARNING THE PURCHASE OF NON-PARTY SANCTIONED GAMING SUPLIES HAS BEEN DEEMED COUNTER REVOLUTIONARY; PUNISHABLE BY FORCED LABOR IN OUR SEGA CONTROLER GOULAG.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENERIC-COMMUNIST-CHINESE-CONTROL-PAD-FOR-IMPERIALIST-SEGA-GENESIS-MASTER-SYSTEM-/301342979215?hash=item462970f48f:g:L1cAAOSwAHZUMlER

Edited by jer_33

Wanted to throw this out there as well.. there is a company selling replacement d-pad and button rubber to make those OEM Sega 6-button controllers feel like new.

I've ordered some sets and will let you know how they work out.

Sega_Turbo_Controller_Conductive_Pads.60

https://mortoffgames.com/gameboy-color-conductive-pad-set-p62-p202-p524.html

Wanted to throw this out there as well.. there is a company selling replacement d-pad and button rubber to make those OEM Sega 6-button controllers feel like new.

wow, been looking for that for a while. definitely interested to hear your review and if they have those for the 1653 models.

FYI stopped by my local Game Stop and found out you can order 6-button original Sega game pads for $15.99 from them shipped direct.

Ordered two today. With warranty

FYI stopped by my local Game Stop and found out you can order 6-button original Sega game pads for $15.99 from them shipped direct.

Ordered two today. With warranty

That is freaking amazing. I hope they're available at Canadian gamestops too

You can land 6 button controllers on eBay for all-in $15 easily. If you look diligently, you can get them for $10. Passively they're always available for $18.

Still really curious to know how those replacement rubber pads Jer_33 got turn out. Honestly, one controller and 2-3 sets of those pads should be enough for a lifetime.

You can land 6 button controllers on eBay for all-in $15 easily. If you look diligently, you can get them for $10. Passively they're always available for $18.

Still really curious to know how those replacement rubber pads Jer_33 got turn out. Honestly, one controller and 2-3 sets of those pads should be enough for a lifetime.

Raph, you just stick to classic Gens 6-button right?

Have you used any of the USB Saturn 6-buttons yet?

Was thinking about making a change but wanted to make sure it was worth the coin.

Was thinking about making a change but wanted to make sure it was worth the coin.

Yeah, I picked up a 6-button a few years back and haven't used anything since. Can't speak to the Saturn controllers.

I use the 6 button Saturn. Took a while to break it in but once I did, I vowed to never go back to keyboard. They usually are much more pricey then the Gens if I recall right. Not sure if its worth that much extra coin in comparison to the Gens version.

I have both the Saturn USB and Sega 6-button. For the price, I would definitely recommend buying a couple of Sega pads and a USB adapter. You'd probably still come out cheaper than the Saturn pad AND you'd have a spare controller.

So I finally got around to trying out these replacement rubber pads.

I ordered another Sega 6-button (MK-1653), and tore it all apart. Washed all of the plastic bits with soap and water, took some alcohol to the contacts on the board itself, and put it all back together with the new rubber pads.

The d-pad feels great, honestly though it probably wasn't that worn out.

The buttons on the other hand, now have a stiffer feel to them (like a new controller, I suppose). Slowly working them in - and getting used to the feel.

So far so good.

Edited by jer_33