NHL'94 Forums

Differences between NHL 94 & 93?

MaynardGKrebs

93 is just not the same as 94. In gdl 93 i just try the same move over and over again because it always works on the computer goalie. Trying it out online you will soon realize that manual goalie is necessary and the lack of onetimers is just lame. It's not as much fun playing 10+ shootout games every game because every single breakaway or scoring chance goes in

Guest John Smith

93 is just not the same as 94. In gdl 93 i just try the same move over and over again because it always works on the computer goalie. Trying it out online you will soon realize that manual goalie is necessary and the lack of onetimers is just lame. It's not as much fun playing 10+ shootout games every game because every single breakaway or scoring chance goes in

Maybe your opponents need to step up their defense then. And they can also score at will against your cpu goalie so its no advantage either way. I personally hate one timers. Takes away alot of creativity in scoring, and people use it as a crutch.

Maybe your opponents need to step up their defense then. And they can also score at will against your cpu goalie so its no advantage either way. I personally hate one timers. Takes away alot of creativity in scoring, and people use it as a crutch.

It's not easy to "step up your defense" in 93, it's very easy to score there's nothing you can do.

I averaged 6.5 GPG in the past Classic season and I rarely use the one timer, the same goes for Kabs too. 93 has much less creativity in scoring because the goalies cant do anything. In 94 most of the time you will be doing moves go try to fool your opponents MANUAL goalie so the creativity in scoring goes to 94 by a mile.

I like 93 better John Smith, but trust me you can't step up your defense on TomKabs or many of the other guys on this site.

For Head to Head between top level players 94 is a much better, challenging, entertaining game.

That is coming from a guy who loves 93 like no other.

And for not so good players like myself 93 is a blast.

Hit me up for a game or if you want to get 20 dropped on ya hit up TK.

Guest John Smith

It's not easy to "step up your defense" in 93, it's very easy to score there's nothing you can do.

I averaged 6.5 GPG in the past Classic season and I rarely use the one timer, the same goes for Kabs too. 93 has much less creativity in scoring because the goalies cant do anything. In 94 most of the time you will be doing moves go try to fool your opponents MANUAL goalie so the creativity in scoring goes to 94 by a mile.

Theres virtually no rebounds when you shoot in 94. 93 has tons of rebounds, which equals massive amounts of fun. Shot power also means alot in 93, but virtually nothing in 94. In 93 sometimes the goalie gets a piece of the puck but if you have a hard enough shot, it trickles by him. In 94 the goalie either makes the save, or you score (yawn). 94 has no blood or fighting too, a little too politically correct for my taste.

Guest John Smith

I like 93 better John Smith, but trust me you can't step up your defense on TomKabs or many of the other guys on this site.

For Head to Head between top level players 94 is a much better, challenging, entertaining game.

And for not so good players like myself 93 is a blast.

Hit me up for a game or if you want to get 20 dropped on ya hit up TK.

At least you agree 93 is better :)

I prefer to play in person but if I were to play online it'd only be with kega. gens is such crap.

looks like we have a new trudat lol. Man non of that stuff really matters like rebounds and how goalies react. The goalies are atrocious, and they let in the exact same deke and there's nothing you can do about it. Breakaways are a part of hockey, but in 93 it's an auto goal. 93 has no competitive value, it's cheese

I want to see a Head to Head match up.

John Smith vs TK.

I did not say 93 was better, I said 94 was better for top level Head to Head Competition. (Which I do not fall in.)

I like 93 better for many of the reasons you stated.

But again trust me John Smith.

In person,

on Kega (which I love),

on Gens

as TK said 93 is cheese and he would drop 20 on ya.

Join GDL 93.

Play me.

Be nice.

Don't troll.

Guest John Smith

I want to see a Head to Head match up.

John Smith vs TK.

I did not say 93 was better, I said 94 was better for top level Head to Head Competition. (Which I do not fall in.)

I like 93 better for many of the reasons you stated.

But again trust me John Smith.

In person,

on Kega (which I love),

on Gens

as TK said 93 is cheese and he would drop 20 on ya.

Join GDL 93.

Play me.

Be nice.

Don't troll.

When was I not nice? Anyway how do I contact you for a game? Do you have kega?

Edited by John Smith

Guest John Smith

looks like we have a new trudat lol. Man non of that stuff really matters like rebounds and how goalies react. The goalies are atrocious, and they let in the exact same deke and there's nothing you can do about it. Breakaways are a part of hockey, but in 93 it's an auto goal. 93 has no competitive value, it's cheese

What about in 94 with the cheesy wrap-around goal when the goalie flops everytime? 93 doesnt have that. Rebounds don't matter? I don't understand what you mean. They make the game more fun. So yes, it does matter. 94 has hardly any rebounds, which equals boring and predictable gameplay.

Yes the goalies are bad in 93, I agree. But its not like they are great in 94 either against the cpu. You can still win 20-0. Bad goalies in 93 actually make playing the cpu more fun, because the cpu can actually score a few times. 93 is just more fun to play and I cant really get into a hockey game with no fighting.

Haha well you just kind of walked in out of nowhere and started bashing 94 on the nhl94.com forums. That cheesy wraparound goal (crease cut) can be stopped with manual goalie. Rebounds are unpredictable in 94 like they are in real life, in 93 there's a rebound on almost every shot that's cheese. kega is no fun either because of all the input lag. If you wanna contact people to play add these guys to aim http://nhl94online.com/html/online-players.php?lgtype=gens

Theres virtually no rebounds when you shoot in 94. 93 has tons of rebounds, which equals massive amounts of fun. Shot power also means alot in 93, but virtually nothing in 94. In 93 sometimes the goalie gets a piece of the puck but if you have a hard enough shot, it trickles by him. In 94 the goalie either makes the save, or you score (yawn). 94 has no blood or fighting too, a little too politically correct for my taste.

Have you ever played 94? Shot power does matte and there are rebounds.

If you were to play me (It wouldnt be on shitty Kega) I would score more than 10 goals on you and I can guarantee not one rebound would happen because the goalie wouldnt make any saves.

EDIT: And what do you think happens when you shoot.. The goalie makes the save, you score or you miss. How is that boring? You have a serious boner for 93 to the point where you dont even make sense just to make 93 sound better.

Edited by PlabaxV2

The '93 league is a lot of fun, drafted teams, 5 minute periods, 1 minute penalties, fully stats-driven web-site.

You should check it out. Or play an exhibition to test it out.

93 is/was the game for me. I also have just joined the 93 draft league that kingraph spoke of and can see why the pros love 94. It is my first league with this online community and the scoring by the pros (raph, Tom Kabs etc...) is ridiculous. The deke is completely unstoppable. But for playing solo or playing with like skilled friends and some other like skilled players in the league 93 is still my favorite.

I am going to try a 94 league but feel my lack of ability in goalie control and one timer will make me even more of a doormat but hey it is a video game and it is fun finding like minded guys who play 20 year old video games. New games and systems are worthless to me. I bought everyone up to like NHL 2005 on the PS2 played them for a week and went back to NHLPA 93.

The wt bug fix is awesome. NOSE blew me away. And yes smozoma is incredible.

I never played SNES original or now but I am sure I would love the game on that system as well.

It cracks me up that we fight over it. I love this community but everybody needs to read the quote at the bottom of kingraphs post whenever we argue about systems, running up the score, hits after the whistle etc...

Lastly, I am also a big Tecmo Bowl Fan and feel like 93 can be made better when playing by just adopting some simple rules like people do in Tecmo. In Tecmo leagues you can not use the DL as guys you control because you are unstoppable. I don't use them when I play the computer. If you play 93 and outlaw the deke it becomes a really fun game without ridiculous scoring.

I play solo and with some other guys using this simple rule and have great competitive games.

I also am not very good (7-30-3 record in league)

www.oldtimevideogamesports.webs.com

Just checked out your site, very cool! You make a great point on the desyncs also in season mode, and the saving that happens in the game. I am sure it can be fixed but would need someone with a bigger brain than me to figure it out.

I bet we could figure out.

I remember resetting the game after I would trade all the Original Oilers back to Edmonton.

I will look at it tonight.

I am 99% sure that is why you had desynchs.

Both guys need to completely reset the rom to its original form before playing online.

It is the first question we ask each other before playing Tecmo Bowl.

Our site and tournaments were completely inspired by you guys.

It brought us back together after 15-20 years and led us here and to online play.

I would love to come to Minnesota to compete in a Segathon, but am afraid my drinking skills may not match up.

To make 93 great you must do one of 2 things:

#1 Outlaw the deke. (This is what we do at our in person tournaments)

or #2 Not be very good at the deke. (The games I am competitive in or even my occasional win in GDL 93 are really fun and against guys who have not mastered the deke)

The problem is, it is all we try as well in our games and that gets boring.

"IF" and I sure hope we do continue the 93 League we should outlaw the deke and fix the wt bug.

Without constantly going to and trying to deke you get all the crazy bounces, rebounds, slapper goals etc... that make 93 great.

I am also honing my 94 skills so that I can join more leagues of that.

haha you can't outlaw the deke that would be crazy. First of all there's no way to manage that properly, and secondly that's nuts the whole idea of competitive hockey games is to score any way you can. That's the most basic way to score, limiting ways to score is taking a huge step backwards. I think you should all forget about 93 and play 94 lol

Managing properly is a huge problem I will admit, but TK try it playing solo.

In fact try it playing solo with the Ottawa Senators, it is fun.

You have to pass it around, set up shots, look for the open man and get rebounds.

Secondly, of course it is nuts. We are all nuts playing video hockey.

Tecmo Bowl leagues disallow (limit) the use of D-Linemen as the guy you control because they are unstoppable,

I am just proposing limiting the same thing because it is unstoppable and makes the game more fun.

Though managing it is harder than managing not using a D-Lineman.

I will never forget 93. I love 93 but I also hear what you are saying and am joining 94 leagues.

If Segathon gets a 95 league going...I'm in.

I would love a 92 league.

Come on over and I'll play ya in some Coleco Table Hockey.

haha you can't outlaw the deke that would be crazy. First of all there's no way to manage that properly, and secondly that's nuts the whole idea of competitive hockey games is to score any way you can. That's the most basic way to score, limiting ways to score is taking a huge step backwards. I think you should all forget about 93 and play 94 lol

I think CoachMac recognizes this. For competitive games and leagues, '94 is the game to play. For a fun novelty with your friends, you can play '93 and ban dekes.

If there is a GDL'93 season 2, the weight bug should definitely be fixed (WHO VOTED AGAINST THIS???), but I think we're stuck with the deke goals as it will be impossible to enforce and define what exactly makes up a deke goal. And I'll tell you now, if I were banned on the deke goal, all I would do is is the light wrist shot rebound on the side goal, another high percentage play that would become monotonous in my strategy. Or pass shots...perhaps those would be banned with dekes.

There's really no argument on which one is better, they are two different games and it's just preferences that people have.