NHL'94 Forums

HOW TO: Remove Icings and Whistles

TheTome

Do you hate faceoffs? All of them? Well here are a couple of hacks for you!

To remove all icings(goalie will stay in net):

OFFSET: 102A0 (hex)
VALUE: 08F8 to 6002

To remove all icings(goalie will leave net):

OFFSET: 1023E (hex)
VALUE: 08F8 to 6002

NOTE: using offset 1023E does not require the other hack, however no harm will come from applying both.

To remove all whistles:

OFFSET: 22F9A (hex)
VALUE: 327C to 6002

NOTE: Removing all whistles is for testing purposes only! The game will not stop for anything, goals, puck out of play, periods expiring, etc. There is no way to continue your game other than a hard reset. It is useful if you want to watch the goal cheering animation for example, but otherwise breaks the game.

Edited by TheTome

cool! if anybody is at all inclined to figure this out for the SNES version, that would be nice, too. I don't imaging I would use it, but I think that the more options we have, the better. good work!

I noticed that although the icings are off, the goalie still thinks they're on, so he won't go out to get the puck.

Yea, I noticed that too, and I'm a little surprised. I think that's fixable though. The variable involved in icing changes depending on who has control of the puck and in what part of the ice. I simply disabled the part that tells the game that the puck has crossed the far red line, but it is still fully aware that you shot it past centre. In order to fix that you would have to find a way to make it so the game always thinks one team is controlling it in the offensive zone. I'll look deeper into it later and see what I can find.

Problem fixed. I added a third hack above. With this one applied the goalie will never think there is an icing call.

You're becoming a goto bud around here....and to that, we all owe you our gratitude.

Thanks for givner bud!

can I/we pay you to work on the SNES ROM? you are good at this stuff.

• 2 years later...

Possible, but not a super simple hack (i'd worry that it would slow the game down by checking every time the puck moves.. maybe it could be put into wherever it detects that the puck hit the boards, that'd work better... but would be harder to find..)

• 1 year later...

hi i downloaded the nhl16tradedeadlineedit rom but i don'T know if we can remove the icings on this one cause i can't find the offset mentioned above. is there something i can do?

Edited by exildaot

hi i downloaded the nhl16tradedeadlineedit rom but i don'T know if we can remove the icings on this one cause i can't find the offset mentioned above. is there something i can do?

The offsets are in hex, make sure you are editing in hex and not decimal.

Those offsets should exist. Can you explain the problem you're having? Are the original values at those offsets different?

i opened hex workshop and i don't see the number 102a0 in the list. i see 10298 and the next number is 102c0.

it's in between those. if you change the size of the window, does it change the way it counts the offsets?

To go directly to where you want to go...

Ctrl+G

102a0

OK

(I don't use Hex Workshop, but I assume it's the same as other editors..)

Or, click on the different positions, and somewhre else in the window it should tell you which offset you have clicked.

---------------------

The values are hexadecimal. It's a different type of counting, where instead of going to 10, you go to 16 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f, 10,11,12...1d,1e,1f,20,21...). So you need to just count bytes from the left where it starts at 10298.

1029a

1029b

1029c

1029d

1029e

1029f

102a0

still doesnt see it. even with the original file.

Great that you got it to work, but you don't need to see that exact number in the program...

You need to think about it like a grid. here is an example using decimal counting (0-9 instead of 0-f).

| 00  01  02  03  04  05  06  07  08  09
-------------------------------------------
000 | ab  cd  ef  gh  ij  kl  mn  op  qr  st
010 | uv  wx  yz  aa  bb  cc  dd  ee  ff  gg
020 | hh  ii  jj  kk  ll  mm  nn  oo  pp  qq
030 | rr  ss  tt  uu  vv  ww  xx  yy  zz  ba

What is the value at the offset 15? It's "cc".

Now I resized the grid

| 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 
------------------------------
000 | ab cd ef gh ij kl mn op 
008 | qr st uv wx yz aa bb cc
016 | dd ee ff gg hh ii jj kk
024 | ll mm nn oo pp qq rr ss
032 | tt uu vv ww xx yy zz ba

Where is "cc" now? It's at the intersection of 008 and 07. In decimal, if you add those, it's 015. Same as before.

Then you just need to learn to count in hexadecimal instead.

-------------------

Or just click any value and look at the "cursor" value in the status bar (bottom bar) of the Hex Workshop window... that's the offset... AKA position, AKA address

....you don't need to see that exact number in the program....

it seems like he DID need to see it to find it, as detailed explanations weren't getting him there. sometimes an introduction to a new concept needs to be simplified, not complicated. I'd guess your exposition into accurate examination of the issues at hand may makes sense to him by this time next year, but he was clearly getting frustrated with an inability to see the address in the sidebar, preventing him from delving into the hex data, generally. hopefully having found it will bring him closer to understanding the hex arrangements in the future.