NHL'94 Forums

More rosters to NHL95PC

Kiba

Hello all roster makers!

These tools are for NHL95 PC-version exporting and importing. This is not even alpha version of anything, just some tools I wrote to help running my NHL95PC league.

These are not tested in any way, so dont risk your important NHL95PC installation. Make new fresh installation of NHL95PC for this one.

I dont take any responsability if you mess up your computer by using these tools.

Files in this package:

- Readme.txt This info file.

- gametocsv.exe Export players and goalies names, jersey numbers and attributes from game to attributes.csv file.

- csvtogame.exe Import players and goalies names, jersey numbers and attributes from attributes.csv file to game.

- attributes.csv CSV file holding importing/exporting information.

Files you need from NHL95 PC:

- TEAMS.DB

- KEY.DB

- ATT.DB

What can be done with these tools?

- Export info from game to csv file, edit some of the info and put it back to game. You can edit player/goalie names, jersey number, position and attributes.

Remember check limitations to values from below, there is none error checking in exe-files. You CANNOT delete players/goalies or insert new ones by editing attributes.csv.

So dont remove lines from attributes.csv or dont add any new lines. For deleting and adding new players I recommented Toni Wilen's NHLinfo.

What info can be edited?

- attributes.csv holds following fields in order:

For Players:

Team Team short name. Do not edit!

TEAMS.DB order number Do not edit!

Jersey# Can be edited, values 1-99

Position Can be edited, values C/R/L/D

First name Can be edited, max. 16 characters

Last Name Can be edited, max. 16 characters

Hanted Can be edited, values 0-1 (0=right 1=left)

SPD Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

AGI Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

WGT Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

POW Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

CHK Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

STH Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

ACC Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

UNK Can be edited, but this is really unknown value, it is 8 by default to all players. Safer not to edit, but for experimental purposes why not! :)

PAS Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

OFF Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

DEF Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

AGG Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

END Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

BIA Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

UNK Can be edited, but this is really unknown value. Safer not to edit, but for experimental purposes why not! :)

UNK Can be edited, but this is really unknown value. Safer not to edit, but for experimental purposes why not! :)

FAC Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

TEAMS.DB Offset to TEAMS.DB Do not edit!

KEY.DB Offset to KEY.DB Do not edit!

ATT.DB Offset to ATT.DB Do not edit!

For Goalies:

Team Teams short name. Do not edit!

Position Can be edited, but for goalie only one value, G. So, no point to edit this.

Glovehand Can be edited, values 0-1 (0=right 1=left)

GLE Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

GRI Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

SLE Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

SRI Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

PCK Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

SPD Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

AGI Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

WGT Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

UNK Can be edited, but this is really unknown value, it is 8 by default to all goalies. Safer not to edit, but for experimental purposes why not! :)

OFF Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

DEF Can be edited, values 0-15 (0=25, 15=100)

Usage:

Copy all mentioned files to same folder. Run gametocsv.exe to export info to attributes.csv file.

Edit attributes.csv with any tool which is familiar to you. Remember keep the same format on attributes.csv file.

Format on attributes.csv is:

- First comes player info

- GOALIES line

- Goalie info

- END line

You should check how the attributes.csv looks like before you start importing/exporting.

When editing is done, save to attributes.csv and run csvtogame.exe.

Then copy files: TEAMS.DB, KEY.DB and ATT.DB back to your NHL95 root directory or on season directory.

Check if everything was changed correctly and game runs ok. For checking NHLinfo is a good tool.

These tools do not change players/goalies career stats. Those career stats could affect to simming in game, so if you want to edit those values, I again recommented Toni Wilen's NHLinfo.

Anyways, do not wait any updates to these tools :)

If this works, we should see more updated/vintage rosters on NHL95PC community.

Have fun!

NHL95PCtools.zip

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've run into an interesting problem. When I open the attributes file in Excel 2010 make a change and then save it as a .csv file it won't import back into the game. When open the attributes files in a text editor and make a change it imports just fine. Any ideas as to what's going on?

Did you open that excel made csv-file, with notepad? How does it look? Problem could be that excel uses different field separator by default: http://superuser.com/questions/396469/how-to-control-csv-import-into-excel-2010 and in that case you have to change it.

• 9 months later...

I got totally burned out after making my NCAA mod many months ago. But I am just getting back into the game. I've read in another thread that simulated stats are controlled by the players season stats stored in the game's databases (not their attributes). I was wondering if anybody has created a piece of software that would allow for the easy export/import of these stats so that we could more quickly adjust the stats (in a spreadsheet) to get accurate simulations with modded rosters. I'm thinking of something similar to Kiba's awesome piece of code that exports the rosters to a csv file and then imports it back.

Hello again all roster makers!

These tools are for NHL95 PC-version career stats exporting and importing. This piece of code is modification from my previous exporting and importing for player attributes. Therefore there is still possibility to edit player names etc.

These are not tested in any way, so dont risk your important NHL95PC installation. Make new fresh installation of NHL95PC for this one.

I dont take any responsability if you mess up your computer by using these tools.

Files in this package:

- Readme.txt This info file.

- careertocsv.exe Export players and goalies names, jersey numbers and career stats from game to career.csv file.

- careertogame.exe Import players and goalies names, jersey numbers and career stats from career.csv file to game.

- career.csv CSV file holding importing/exporting information.

- careertocsv.cpp Source code of careertocsv.exe.

- careertogame..cpp Source code of careertogame.exe.

Files you need from NHL95 PC:

- TEAMS.DB

- KEY.DB

- CAREER.DB

What can be done with these tools?

- Export info from game to csv file, edit some of the info and put it back to game. You can edit player/goalie names, jersey number, position

and career stats.

Remember check limitations to values from below, there is none error checking in exe-files. You CANNOT delete players/goalies or insert new

ones by editing career.csv.

So dont remove lines from career.csv or dont add any new lines. For deleting and adding new players I recommented Toni Wilen's NHLinfo.

What info can be edited?

- career.csv holds following fields in order:

For Players:

Team Team short name. Do not edit!

Position Can be edited, values C/R/L/D

Games played Can be edited, values 0-65535 (NHL95 have max. 84)

Goals Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 60)

Assists Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 92)

Points Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 130)

PPG Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 25)

SHG Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 7)

PIM Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 347)

Shots Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 397)

Plusminus Can be edited, values -255-65535 (On NHL95 lowest was -52 and top was +53)

PO Games played Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 24)

PO Goals Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 16)

PO Assists Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 23)

PO Points Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 34)

PO PPG Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 6)

PO SHG Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 2)

PO PIM Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 64)

PO Shots Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 101)

PO Plusminus Can be edited, values -255-65535 (On NHL95 lowest was -8 and top was +19)

UNK Can be edited, but this is really unknown value, it is 0 by default to all players.

UNK Can be edited, but this is really unknown value, it is 0 by default to all players.

CAREER.DB Offset to CAREER.DB Do not edit!

For Goalies:

Team Teams short name. Do not edit!

Position Can be edited, but for goalie only one value, G. So, no point to edit this.

Games played Can be edited, values 0-65535 (NHL95 have max. 74)

Wins Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 42)

Losses Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 41)

Ties Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 16)

Shut Outs Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 7)

Empty Nets Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 9)

Minutes Played Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 4412)

Goals Allowed Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 254)

GAA Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 561 that means 5.61 average)

Shot Against Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 2382)

Save Percentage Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 930 that means 93.0 percentage)

PO Games played Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 24)

PO Wins Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 16)

PO Losses Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 9)

PO Ties Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 all were 0, hence playoffs)

PO Shut Outs Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 4)

PO Empty Nets Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 3)

PO Minutes Played Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 1544)

PO Goals Allowed Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 59)

PO GAA Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 608 that means 6.08 average)

PO Shot Against Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 820)

PO Save Percentage Can be edited, values 0-65535 (On NHL95 top was 950 that means 95.0 percentage)

Usage:

Copy all mentioned files to same folder. Run careertocsv.exe to export info to career.csv file.

Edit career.csv with any tool which is familiar to you. Remember keep the original format on career.csv file.

Format on attributes.csv is:

- First comes player info

- GOALIES line

- Goalie info

- END line

You should check how the career.csv looks like before you start importing/exporting.

When editing is done, save to career.csv and run careertogame.exe.

Then copy files: TEAMS.DB, KEY.DB and CAREER.DB back to your NHL95 root directory or on season directory.

Check if everything was changed correctly and game runs ok. For checking NHLinfo is a good tool.

These tools changes player and goalie career stats. Those career stats could affect to simming in game.

How they affect to it, I dont know. I give that testing to you :)

Anyways, now if you like to release new rosters or conversion to NHL95PC, now you can include correct or modified career stats to game.

Test this and inform me about how this works. Anyways, do not wait any updates to these tools :)

If someone have interest to make own version of this, go ahead, I included source code on package. I am not a coder, you can see that when you review my code :)

Have fun!

EDIT: I just reposted this zip file, now includes source code.

NHL95PCtools2.zip

Edited by Kiba

• 3 months later...

A bit late to the party, but would it be possible to reupload the nhl95pctools2 package? I could download the first one without an itch but the 2nd one times out when I try to download it...

Thanks in advance, it seems waaaaaaay simpler then when I was editing the game in 98!! :D

Hey Kiba. It appears that NHLInfo has a column in the player attributes view titled 'R'. I assume that indicates if the player is a rookie or not. Would it be possible to include that in your roster input/export tool? I want to make sure the correct players are designated as rookies in the NHL15 mod I am working on and I would rather not go through each player in NHLInfo and make the change.

Yep, seems that that rookie yes/no is stored on season.db. Bit more work, because my code did not touch that file on previous versions. Anyways should not be too hard to implement. But, I do not have now much free time, I cannot promise anything, so do not wait for it :)

If someone is in hurry to do this, I can put my source code here, so you can figure it out yourself ;)

Hope you do not wait this for you conversion goodbyeccha, just select all players in NHLinfo and put them as not a rookie and then just change rookie's "rookie" attribute to yes. There should not be so much rookies on NHL15?

Quick question with which I hope you can share some light on...

I'm using Koppe's latest rosters (14_8 version) and when I use the gametocsv file, there are players missing in the attributes.csv that it generates. The players however are there in the game and in NHLinfo.

I don't have the same problem using the default roster; all players are exported correctly in the attributes.csv file.

Any idea as to what might be causing this?

Reason for that could be that I did not wrote support for importing/exporting free agents. I think Koppe's rosters have players as free agents and that could mess thing up with gametocsv. Could be some other reason also, maybe my code just do not work perfectly otherwise ;)

Kiba, I am having some issues with the career stat import/export tool you wrote. I've attached the files for reference. When I export the career stats to a csv everything works great. Then once I overwrite all the stats in the csv file and import it back to the NHL95 databases some strange things are happening. Here is the issue I have been able to recreate several times (there may be others):

When I import the revised stats CSV it is deleting #27 Dougie Hamilton from the Bruins and putting G Pekka Rinne on the Bruins roster (he remains in the ASE roster where he belongs). It is also putting some weird numbers in the stats. But most of them are importing correctly.

I caught this because when I tried to sim a season the Bruins only won 4 games and Pekka Rinne scored like 12 goals as a goalie.

Another issue I noticed was that the goalie playoff save% stat doesn't seem to be exporting correctly.

CareerStatsStuff.zip

Reason for that could be that I did not wrote support for importing/exporting free agents. I think Koppe's rosters have players as free agents and that could mess thing up with gametocsv. Could be some other reason also, maybe my code just do not work perfectly otherwise ;)

Thanks for the input! I'll start from scratch with the original db since after simulating the season with Koppe's rosters, Morgan Rielly of all people won the Hart, Norris, and Art Ross trophy with 53 pts. Carey Price played 61 games and had a .959 save %. Ryan Miller had a GAA of 0.50!

One weird thing... Sidney Crosby won the EA Sports trophy with 12 points, a +/- of -11 and 112 PIMS in 82 games. I wonder if that trophy in particular is based on attributes rather than stats...

goodbyeccha, same thing happened to me when I tried to import those rosters back to game. I have now no time to troubleshoot this, but I just updated NHL95PCtools2.zip with source code on this thread if someone wants to figure out what is wrong. Of course if someone want to make new version of career importing/exporting which actually works, even better ;)

This is just quessing, but maybe your NHL15 altering could cause this? Changing team names etc.

I will get back this when I have more time (who knows when).

Happy xmas and new year to everybody!

It is certainly possible that my modifications are playing a role in the stats import. I don't think posting the source code will help much as it would take me longer to fool around with the code than it would to just enter the stats by hand. I do think it is a valuable tool for roster making and I appreciate you writing it. I hope you will have time to work out the bugs in the future. Thanks Kiba!

• 2 years later...
On 18/11/2013 at 10:58 PM, goodbyeccha said:

I figured out the problem. Excel was adding commas to the goalie lines so that each line had the same number of delimiters. I deleted those in a text editor and it imported fine. Thanks for the awesome program it makes custom rosters infinitely easier.

Newbie here, so did you save it back as a .csv format once you edited it in the text editor? I'm having the same issue with it not importing and I'm using Excel 2007 but when I copy and past it into a text file, there are no commas. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by PenguinFan1985
Adding Info

1 hour ago, PenguinFan1985 said:

Newbie here, so did you save it back as a .csv format once you edited it in the text editor? I'm having the same issue with it not importing and I'm using Excel 2007 but when I copy and past it into a text file, there are no commas. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing here (because I've never used this, but I know about file formats...):

• In excel, save as a .csv file. (csv = comma-separated values).
  • Open the file in a plain text editor, such as Notepad and make the necessary changes.
  • Save (same file name)

Or, just don't use Excel. Open the file manually in Notepad and make the changes there right from the start.

16 hours ago, PenguinFan1985 said:

smozoma did guide you already, just wondering what do you mean by "when I copy and past it into a text file, there are no commas"? What did you copy and from where?

4 hours ago, Kiba said:

smozoma did guide you already, just wondering what do you mean by "when I copy and past it into a text file, there are no commas"? What did you copy and from where?

Appreciate the feedback. I'm trying to edit attributes to one of the rosters that I downloaded from a forum on here and when I try to save the file after editing it in Excel it saves ok. It's when I'm using the csvtogame program that it isn't copying over to the files I'm supposed to put back in the main directory to change the attributes. 
I copied everything from the excel sheet and pasted it into notepad and saved it from there and still it didn't transfer once I used the csvtogame program. Just wondering what I'm doing wrong because I've followed all the steps in the readme files that are attached.

39 minutes ago, PenguinFan1985 said:

Appreciate the feedback. I'm trying to edit attributes to one of the rosters that I downloaded from a forum on here and when I try to save the file after editing it in Excel it saves ok. It's when I'm using the csvtogame program that it isn't copying over to the files I'm supposed to put back in the main directory to change the attributes. 
I copied everything from the excel sheet and pasted it into notepad and saved it from there and still it didn't transfer once I used the csvtogame program. Just wondering what I'm doing wrong because I've followed all the steps in the readme files that are attached.

"I copied everything from the excel sheet and pasted it into notepad"

That's your problem. Don't do that :). That removes all the commas and uses tabs instead.

Just click Save in excel. It may complain about the file format.. Click Yes. Use the .csv file.