NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94 mode to be featured in NHL 14?

This is pretty big for the retro gamers out there. The EA Sports NHL
team posted the pic above to Twitter with the message “Why is the ice
blue in this NHL 14 screenshot? Find out July 11.” So three things here:
the ice is blue, the font is retro, and it’s now 20 years since the
iconic NHL 94 dropped. So you gotta figure there’s gonna be some sort of
implementation of NHL 94 coming to this year’s game.

Link : http://blogs.thescore.com/franchisemode/2013/07/10/nhl-94-mode-to-be-featured-in-nhl-14/

Rumor or real ??

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like it's just going to be an "anniversary mode", not the actual game. And I don't think the old players will be in the game, even though Roenick is in this trailer?

"All those fun elements back in the game with modern day players and a modern day look."

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/11/nhl-14-features-offline-nhl-94-anniversary-mode/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8pLV4-RImk

This Puck Daddy article says "Finally, you cannot talk about NHL 94 without talking about the legends of the game, like Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and, of course, the immortal Jeremy Roenick. All three will be playable characters in both the NHL 94 mode and NHL 14 itself."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/modernized-version-nhl-94-appear-upcoming-nhl-14-120310660.html

Well that's pretty cool!

EA's official page:

http://www.easports.com/nhl/news-updates-gameplay/article/nhl-14-nhl-94-anniversary-mode-revealed

Sorry for the news clippings....I'm sure we'll see a ton of activity today.

I wonder if it actually plays like the game....it seems like it's the same thing like the actual nhl14 game with some slight adjustments. I don't get the impression there's any goalie control like we are used to....

Boo, unfortunately it's not going to be online.

that's a big disappointment right there.

More interesting news from this article: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nhl-14-celebrates-20-years-of-hockey-excellence-with-the-nhl-94-anniversary-mode/

Speaking of Gretzky, the NHL superstar appears in NHL 14 along with Mario Lemieux and Jeremy Roenick, the dreaded beast player of the original NHL ’94. Ramjagsingh explained that the dev team knows Roenick is a must-have player for the Anniversary Mode, but bringing in others would have been a challenge. “For us to bring in those classic players from back in the day, we need to approach each one of those guys individually and sign a deal with them, which is pretty time-consuming and can get pretty costly,” he said.

“We did research throughout the year on where we wanted to go with this [Anniversary] mode, and people didn’t actually want to play NHL ’94. They wanted a different take on it that brought back great elements from NHL ’94, but wasn’t actually NHL ’94.”
It makes sense about the players...that part sucks. Looks like it will never be possible to get true '94 on a modern console.
I have to disagree that people "didn't actually want to play NHL'94". WHAT? Look at the EASports NHL FB page and the top comment is "If I could play NHL'94 online I'd poop my pants"

"NHL 14
features an assortment of classic jerseys, including a selection from
now-defunct teams like the Whalers, Jets, and Nordiques, all of which
appeared in
NHL ’94."

I stayed up all night working on a schedule and playoff brackets for 10894 new buds for the new '94 retro league. now that plan is dashed...thanks a lot ea.

You know what's better than an NHL '94 anniversary mode? Answer: NHL '94

BEST LINE EVER. I'm stealing it and spreading it everywhere. :)

I wonder if would be possible for EA to just re-release '94 on a modern console with online play. Make it like $10 - $20. Nothing special, no new features, just the same game, new console with online play.

But I guess all the legal crap will still get in the way...so silly. I can't believe they'd have to track down Robin Bawa to sign a new deal.

In nhl 14, there will be a classic game mode in there. NHL 94 ANNIVERSARY MODE!!! Whata do you think? I THINK IT"S AWESOME!!!!

That version seems pretty f-n fun.

If it doesn't have online play for the anniversary mode, that would completely make it worthless.

I love my NHL94, but we create ROM's all the time for variety. Some of us even play SNES or '93 out of boredom.

EA has had a history for a while now of making something 80% great, and completely f-ing up the other 20%.

Leaving online out. Who made that final decision, the Walmart greeter or something??!?!?!?

If it's got online for annivesary, I'll spend my $60 & buy it.

That version seems pretty f-n fun.

If it doesn't have online play for the anniversary mode, that would completely make it worthless.

I love my NHL94, but we create ROM's all the time for variety. Some of us even play SNES or '93 out of boredom.

EA has had a history for a while now of making something 80% great, and completely f-ing up the other 20%.

Leaving online out. Who made that final decision, the Walmart greeter or something??!?!?!?

If it's got online for annivesary, I'll spend my $60 & buy it.

"The single-game mode, which will only be available for offline play Ramjagsingh says, is built to be as "over-the-top" as the classic game."

Hockey just ended, so this thing can't due out for some time. Normally, I'd say try to petition to get online included, but I do recall numerous other issues I've seen over the past with EA Sports, & regardless of how many requests, they don't change their minds.

Madden had a solid following of guys who liked to play each other through online leagues with custom drafts, custom profiles so you'd have your own playbooks, etc, and they stopped supporting it as a use-able version, and refused to acknowledge that the game even had issues for several seasons, only to finally say they weren't going to focus on it. You had to do the online exhib only type thing, with their online rating system, etc as the focus. Playing within a Dynasty type season left everything jacked up.

That was like 08-09, and the last time I checked into an EA Game, to be honest. It had reminded back when computer games used to come out 70% completed/ 30% bugged & you'd have to hope the patches came in faster than the aggravation. Basically, if you bought a computer game at one point in time during its first 3 weeks of release, you were a PAYING beta tester.

Anyhow, no online, no Brutus :)

Edited by Brutus

Blaaa shame on EA Sports... They could have made this mode very cool and seemed to have half assed it. Blue Ice + Players' Start + HFD/QUE + JR/Gretz/Lem + 94 game sounds, that's it?! They should have brought in smozoma and clockwise to design this mode, not these apes at EA sports who couldn't figure out how to get us playing online