NHL'94 Forums

My "Deadline" Roms

naples39

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally learned how to change ice logos, so I've been experimenting on the Deadline ROMs using the Frozen Faceoff blog. Some of the logos needed extra work because I couldn't find a clean picture of them, like the St. Louis 30th and Washington 25th anniversaries. I was concerned that the anniversary logos might be too detailed to be rendered decently, but I think they work well in-game, more or less. The Washington anniversary is probably the worst one, not sure if I should fill in all the white space with the blue ice color.

Edited by FlyersHockey1967

Heads up: The 94 ROM seems to have some issues with the goalie handedness. Also, did the 97 Deadline have the all-star rosters from NHL 98? I might try getting the all-star teams up and playable, but I'll probably need to correct the rosters and the team banners.

FYI, I'm almost done re-doing all my roms to V4.

For V4s I've already done;

-season specific rinks/creases; no blue paint in pre-91 creases, keeping my current rom crease 92-98, and the modern chopped sides for post-99.

-clockwise sprite patch for better uniform editing (every uniform re-visited accordingly)

-in-game pause menu banners re-done in original NHL 94 text style.

I'm running out of things to do!

Regarding the center ice logos, coincidentally I started trying out some new ones yesterday also. The thing with those is that you have so little resolution, and you can only use the home jersey color palette, that you are very limited. Accurate representations from that frozenblog are not an option 90% of the time.

What I have been doing is looking at various alternate logos from http://www.sportslogos.net/teams/list_by_league/1/National_Hockey_League/NHL/logos/

I already did that in V3 for the SJ, CAR and FLA (and maybe a few others). Because you generally can't be real-life accurate, it's somewhat a matter of taste as to what looks good in the game, but I like having fun with it and adding some character to the roms.

I've already played with hockeytown logo, the Leafs logo is certainly do-able, the Flyers '97 30th anniversary logo worked okay, etc. I'll keep playing around this weekend and putting in new logos that work acceptably.

Yeah, you definitely have to forgo accuracy in favor of aesthetics in some cases. For instance, the Los Angeles ice in 1994 was a blank circle, which would be pretty boring in-game. So even though the logo wasn't there in real-life, I'd leave the Kings logo in-game because it beats having nothing there. And you mentioned the resolution problem for anniversary logos. Washington is definitely the worst one, but I think New York's 25th anniversary works pretty well. St. Louis and Boston are somewhere in the middle.

I think the Northlands Coliseum logo could work for Edmonton if you remove the text around it. The Edmonton palette works pretty well because of that bright orange and the blue for the face off dot in the center. The Hockeytown logo should definitely work. And for the Leafs 94 logo, I couldn't find a clean picture of it so I had to take the 67 crest, take out the text, put a white circle in it, and put a red circle around it in MS Paint. I've attached the one I hacked up if you want to use it or until you find a better one.

post-1173-0-31532800-1389977559_thumb.pn

post-1173-0-66335600-1389977590.png

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I figure v4 is done, so I uploaded them all in one zip.

As mentioned above, new features are;

-Applied newer clockwise sprite hack for better uniform editing. I re-reviewed them all and some look much better IMO.

-Period accurate creases and faceoff dots

-In-game banners now in original rom style

-Some new and revised center ice logos

-Some rating tweaks

Edited by naples39

• 2 weeks later...

Something happened when I messing with the rinks.

It happens with mid-90s rink setup used in the 92, 94, 95 and 97 roms, where the benches appear as one of the colors in the home team strip palette (a color that is not normally changed, but changes when using the clockwise sprite hack). I noticed it, but didn't track it down and decided to live with it. An acceptable quirk to me.

I figured it had something to do with the clockwise sprite hack, because I don't remember seeing it in the older ROMs. Oh well, acceptable price to pay for more accurate uniforms.

Do you also know how to edit the face off dots? I want to try and get the hash marks in the 97 ROM as they are in the 99 ROM. I noticed that if you do the reverse angle replay, the 99-style goal crease and face off circles appear, so they must be stored in the ROM somewhere. I haven't had any luck searching for it so far, but I'll try again later.

EDIT: Found some topics on rink tile editing. It is quite...demanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comment and your PM.

I needed you a few months ago! Over time I got very comfortable with the graphic aspects, but cranking out the rosters and lines became the real pain. As things stand now, I hit all my goals for these roms and more so I'm not working on them at the moment. Maybe I'll come back if I have some new goals to strive for, but for the moment I won't re-up to update the team for the mighty Peter Andersson. :)

• 2 years later...

Just downloaded your Deadline ROMs and just wanted to say they are amazing! I really enjoy all of your ROMs, naples39. Toning down the speed burst really makes it even more wonderful to play. Aside from the 2017 update, do you plan on doing anymore ROMs? Do you have any from any individual years in the 2000s aside from the past couple years? (I saw there were pre-lockout and post-lockout ROMs you created, which were also great).

Edited by Brad1981

Just downloaded your Deadline ROMs and just wanted to say they are amazing! I really enjoy all of your ROMs, naples39. Toning down the speed burst really makes it even more wonderful to play. Aside from the 2017 update, do you plan on doing anymore ROMs? Do you have any from any individual years in the 2000s aside from the past couple years? (I saw there were pre-lockout and post-lockout ROMs you created, which were also great).

I'm glad to have a fan!

All the old deadline ROMs had speed burst at 50%, but after a user comment I put it at 75% for 2016. Either way seems like an improvement to me.

Right now my only plans are for 2017, and a World Cup ROM this fall. I'm probably not going to do individual season ROMs for years from 2000s. It's just a lot of work and the reward seemed out of balance. Unless I get really bored....

• 1 year later...
On 11/22/2017 at 6:02 AM, Matt55 said:

Is there a version of the 87 and 89 deadline roms without the reduced speed burst? 

Not at the moment, but you can change it yourself by simply changing 4 digits through a hex editor:

36 minutes ago, Matt55 said:

How do I find the "address" in the ROM?  I have the ROM in the hex editor, and I see on the posting listed above that the "Hex offset" is 00BB88.  One problem: I do not know what a Hex offset is. :)

If you're using HxDen like I suggested, control+G to 00BB88.

You'll see in the hex table that you are at row 00BB80, and going across the table to column 8.

1 hour ago, Matt55 said:

I actually just found it! Believe it or not, I feel like I accomplished something :)! Thank you for your patience and help. 

That is awesome Matt, 7 years ago I had no idea what a Hexeditor, Tile Molestor, NOSE, and EARE were.
I had lurked around here forever at work as I had no home computer.
Then BOOM! I asked a couple questions and figured a couple things out and next thing ya know I was cranking out some quality Roms!

Keep it up and Good Luck!

• 4 years later...
On 5/13/2022 at 8:44 PM, Salbast said:

Does this work for Nvidia Shield?

Sure, put an emulator on there that can play Sega Genesis games (such as RetroArch with a Genesis 'core')