NHL'94 Forums

Scoring Goals with Defensemen in the SNES version

simba

I grew up with SNES version of NHLPA93, so I was used to being able to score from anywhere, particularly through the 5-hole from a shot crossing the top of the slot, and after playing 94, it seemed like that scoring from the point like that wasn't possible, and I started to believe that it was impossible to score without a one-time shot or some type of deke. Then in one glorious moment, I ripped a shot from a fairly weak shooting defensemen blocker side from the top of the zone....my question is, how can I repeat this more regularly?

I've never played anyone who could consistently score on blue line slappers, and I've only scored a handful of them in hundreds of online games. Usually they involved some kind of fluke like a guy falling down in the crease and blocking the goalie to one side.

One of the members here (oilers442) wrote a little tutorial on using slappers in SNES94, i'll try to find it and link it, but it's mostly for slappers from the top of the circles, not the blue line.

BTW if you want to get set up for online play add me on AIM: Northway Native or fromdacradle2dagrave@yahoo.com

We need more SNES players!

Edited by NorthwayNative

Quote:

"goals from the deep point are a very low percentage play. if you focus on this "favorite way to score," you will not be scoring very often. you can help this type of play with good positioning. way up by the line is usually too far away. being pretty well lined up with a goalpost can help. being way off to one side or another will not help. there is a relatively recent thread around here somewhere with videos showing a sweet spot for increased percentage slapshots. if I find it, I'll send you the link. maybe search youtube for SNES '94 slapshots. "

I've tried shooting a little more, and finally ripped a shot through the goalie's legs breaking straight in alone from the top of the slot in overtime...I also had a slapshot goal skating across the crease to the backside post, (top part of the rink, from near the bottom corner of the slot and right circle with a Left handed forward) in much closer. And I'm getting more shots squeaking through and going wide on high zone shots, at least in the bottom part of the rink.

• 4 weeks later...

The only time I can find a slapper working is during a penalty shot if the goalie is even slightly out of position. If you're far enough out and they're hanging back a bit, it almost always goes in. Other than that, I think it's easiest to try to cross-body shot.. head one way and shoot back across. You don't need to be in any special position for it to go, it just depends on goalie positioning.

I really think scoring in SNES is more sensible than the genesis version. Positioning for both shooter and goalie matter so much more! But yeah, 5-hole almost NEVER goes. You get the rare trickler, but you have to have a wicked shot.

I've never seen a 5-hole goal go in on SNES 94. Genesis has 5-hole goals on a fairly regular basis. Especially from the crappy goalies, if you pass it nice and flat right to the goalie directly in the middle of him then he'll go down into a butterfly and the puck will squeak right between his pads through the 5-hole.

As far as the slappers go, in SNES 94 they are much less effective than in the Genesis 94. In Genesis, you can pretty easily fire a slapper from the point in with somebody with high shot power, like Hull, Modano, Iafrate (if you can hit the net and not the stands with Al lol) etc. I think the SNES version has totally different goalie AI compared to Genesis 93-94 and I'd guess the SNES 93, which I have never played before. I'm going to download an SNES 93 ROM and try it out just for the heck of it, though.

I wrote a little piece in the Bo Knows Everything forum on the "crease cut" which is the way to score with a slapper on Genesis. I also talk about an alternate way to score that would be the SNES equivalent, but it's a wrist shot.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/14276-crease-cuts/