NHL'94 Forums

Just played '93 on SNES

halifax

I forgot how much it is like the genesis engine game. fun times...I only won 2-0. I only remembered how to freeze the goalie and shoot in the open net in the third.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The sounds are hilariously bad but they are the best part in of the worst hockey games of alltime, Megarts Hockey (known as Cross Check as well) for Amiga.

SNES NHLPA sucks really bad but it would have been number one in ice hockey games genre if ever released for Amiga.

SNES '93 was a rushed port of the Genesis '93 version. The guys had like 3 weeks, and were barely familiar with the SNES :D. In that respect, even though the game is terrible... props to those dudes for even getting it done! (even though it can only play 1 sound at a time, the frame rate is atrocious, etc etc..)

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

This was the first hockey game I ever played, I thought it was fantastic before I played 94... It certainly isn't the best game around, but it does still hold enough of a charm that I'll return to it, every so often, for a day or two. Personally, I ALWAYS play this with volume muted. It's got nothing on 94, or NHL Stanley Cup (Super Hockey to us Euro-Trash), but it was a (fairly) decent attempt at a hockey game.

The framerate is sooo bad. Other than that, it's a pretty fun game.

I still remember getting it Christmas morning (in 1992 I guess).

I do enjoy playing it from time to time, mainly for the fighting. 

You can also do some pretty ridiculous bodychecks. Sometimes a player gets somersaulted 20 feet into the boards accompanied by a funny sound that reminds me of someone slamming a garbage can shut.