NHL'94 Forums

So does anyone supplement their NHL 94 addiction with NHL 14 on Xbox or Playstation? I've toyed with the idea and even tried the demo on Xbox. However, I found that it was not as intuitive as NHL 94, didn't allow for hits after the whistle (guilty pleasure) and wasn't as fun. I then returned the Xbox knowing that the price would drop precipitously with the release of XBone.

But it was only the demo and the first "modern" NHL game that I've played. I think the last one I had was Gretzsky 3D on the N64. I probably didn't give it much of a chance and didn't put much time into it.

Would anyone recommend NHL 14 or is NHL 94 simply the pinnacle of the franchise with all other versions being a disapppointment?

You didn't try any NHL game made between 1998 and 2013? I'm impressed.

And yes, NHL 94 is simply the pinnacle of the franchise. I kept getting every version of the NHL games from 93 right up to 2006 but that's where I stopped. I realized that nothing would ever compare to NHL 94, so I went back to it full-time.

Full-time means the 3 hours a week I have to play video games is dedicated to NHL 94.

I guess I "retired" from video games after 1997 only to re-enter the arena 10 years later with the Wii (I kind of retired from hockey as well during the period unfortunately). Though in the interim I played a whole lot of Mario Kart 64 with my roommate and best friend in college. I love that game!

It was the Wii that convinced me to take the plunge again. I've never owned a Playstation or XBox and frankly the games didn't interest me that much. I also have a grundle of small children that don't need to be exposed to the violence, sex and gore found on those systems (though it can also be found on the Wii/Wii U to a lesser extent). So I happily play my platformers on the Wii/Wii U and old school retro games.

Then I got back into hockey this past hockey season and realized the Wii didn't have any good hockey games. I happened upon my Genesis at my parents' house this summer and re-discovered my love of NHL 95 (don't hate me - I only had NHL 95 growing up). I've joined the Gens-D league and love it (even though I usually get my tuckus handed to me on a regular basis).

I guess I was thinking of supplementing my love of hockey video games with a PS3 or 360, but I think my time and money would be better spent honing my dekes on NHL 94.

So glad I found this community - oddly enough I read about it in articles about the 94 Anniversary Mode in NHL 14.

Would anyone recommend NHL 14 or is NHL 94 simply the pinnacle of the franchise with all other versions being a disapppointment?

I'd definitely recommend nhl 14. It has a bit more of a learning curve than 94 does, but it also relies more on luck which is good for newer players. It might be a good idea to just wait for ps4 or xbox one and get nhl 15, because it will probably be a huge change just like the first nhl game on this generation was