NHL'94 Forums

Few questions related GENS ratings

Depch

I was wondering about a few things, if anyone knows it would save me some work, which I wouldn't be doing anytime soon.

How do the team ratings affect the game or do they at all? Let's take for example Blitz rosters which have 7 (strong) offense, 0 (strong) on defence, 2 (strong) home and 1 (average) away. Has anyone actually taken time to see out how it affects the team if these ratings are reversed for example? Does it affect any way how the offense keeps going or defence? If it does have an affect, it would be kinda cool to choose your own teams team strategy how they approach the game for your and your built teams strenghts, like is it super defensive (weak offense, could imagine that players stay lower in general or is it just weak positioning aka something to enhance awareneses)?

Another thing is that has there been any confirmation regarding the off awareness/def awareness bug? We have been playing this NHL95 PC as a manager style, do drafts, make lines and such, it's been fun, but I can't help but notice that some guy with extremely high off awareness always tends to go for short angles and get off poor shots (Bure), where as guys like Larmer and Nemchinov tend to go cross the crease and goal line and get a good angle shots (larmer def awa 100). We've played multiple seasons and this keeps popping out always. Could it really be reversed or could awareness be something that you just combine off/def and play accordingly?

I'm looking at some of the GDL draft sheets and there are a few iffy skills for me. I saw someone mention in threads that Rgh is actually Shoot/Pass bias? H/F looks to be high with tough guys who tend to fight more, could this be a skill that was in the previous NHL versions for fighting or does it have any other meaning like tendency to get penalties?

What is aggressiviness? If checking is how keen AI goes for the check in default, what meaning does Agr have? You could think Agr is tendency to get a penalty making it a negative skill, or is there even such tendency? Does Agr work together with Chk somehow what kind of a hit you are going for?

If anyone can confirm even any of these it would be great. :)

I'm looking at some of the GDL draft sheets and there are a few iffy skills for me. I saw someone mention in threads that Rgh is actually Shoot/Pass bias? H/F looks to be high with tough guys who tend to fight more, could this be a skill that was in the previous NHL versions for fighting or does it have any other meaning like tendency to get penalties?

Yes, Roughness was a guess at what the attribute was, but someone came along and pointed out that it was actually Shoot/Pass bias (or something like that). Guys with lots of assists have 0, while guys with lots of goals and few assists get high values. Gretzky, Lemieux, Oates, Gilmour, all have 0 for that, but some of them are still decent goal scorers, so maybe it's more just something to indicate how many assists they get.

Yes, Roughness was a guess at what the attribute was, but someone came along and pointed out that it was actually Shoot/Pass bias (or something like that). Guys with lots of assists have 0, while guys with lots of goals and few assists get high values. Gretzky, Lemieux, Oates, Gilmour, all have 0 for that, but some of them are still decent goal scorers, so maybe it's more just something to indicate how many assists they get.

Yeah S/P bias does make sense for having it in the game. You had it in NHL Hockey as well and it was a pretty much port from the Sega systems.

Now let's hope someone can answer some of the other questions. :)