NHL'94 Forums

Number of Forwards/Defensemen in ROM

Tickenest

I've been working on my own save state parser for kicks this week and the resources on the site here have been extremely helpful. One thing I haven't been able to find or tease out is how the game knows whether a player is a forward or a defenseman. Evan's hacking guide makes clear how the game knows that someone is a goalie, but I haven't teased this one out. Any ideas?

I only use NOSE, so I'm guessing here based off how NOSE works, but it looks like the game doesn't actually know if a player is a forward or defensemen exactly.

When setting up a team roster, you set the number of forwards (0-F). Any players that appear after that number of players is exceeded, are available for lineup selection as defensemen. That might be all there is to it.

Hah, found it!

Thanks to naples39's comment, plus:

Evan's goalie number guide: http://nhl94.com/html/editing/edit_bin_lines_goalies.php

and to this thread talking about numbers of forwards/defensemen in the SNES version: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/7560-snes-checksumteam-length/

I was able to find it. 20 bytes past the "j" in the away team jersey is the byte that holds this information. So F8 means 15 forwards (F = 15) and 8 defensemen. I guess if you play with the number of goalies a team has you can throw off the forwards number, but it appears that that's the byte that contains the information I needed.

that brings up a good point: it's infuriatingly hard to find old topics around here. it's easy to search the last year or two of posts, but this community is a vast resource with a terrible search restriction parameter set.