NHL'94 Forums

Help editing faceoff dots and hash marks

FlyersHockey1967

Say I want to take a rink with the half-moon crease, like this:

ItwxXq2.png

And put in the updated face off dots and inner hash marks like this:

vXdT5Ib.png

How can I achieve this? I've tried reading the reference topics like (http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/9706-reference-nhl94-rink-tile-layout/) and (http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/11658-how-to-altering-the-net-tiles-and-palette/) and (http://koti.mbnet.fi/~swos/nhl94/goalcrease.htm), but I'm still not clear on how to edit the rink tiles and get this done.

I tried brute-forcing it, but when I tried using Tile Layer Pro, I ran into a problem. Here's a ROM with the updated face off dots and hash marks, with the updated crease:

9J1J8Fg.png

Here's a ROM with the old face off dots, no hash marks, and the older style crease.

ThVXjlb.png

If you look at where that "F" tile is, editing that doesn't extend the hash marks, and the tile next to it is a crease tile, so editing that will change the crease and not the face off circle hash mark. So the only thing I can do right now is edit the actual face off dot and put in the beginnings of the hash marks, which leads to this:

PclOoJf.png

If I add tiles with the hash marks on them, it looks like I need some way to tell the game to use that tile and put it next to the already existing face off dot/hash mark tile. But I remember reading that if I add a tile, I need to remove one from somewhere else, or overwrite an existing one. In which case, I still have the same issue of telling the game where that tile goes.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I'd appreciate any advice on getting the face off dots/hash marks in while preserving the old style crease.

As a side note, I've noticed that when I do the reverse angle replay on that 97 ROM, I actually see the new-style rink with the updated face off circles and the newer crease, so I'm guessing that rink is stored somewhere on the ROM. I'm wondering if I could use that to change the game play rink? And how do I change the rink in the reverse angle replay?

If I understand the issue correctly, you need to change the rink tilemap in a hex editor. It's the part explained in the bottom half of the rink editing link you posted.

I bailed on detailed rink editing, but my understanding of the issue is that it's like putting together a puzzle. First you make the pieces (the tiles), and then you tell the game where to put each piece on the tilemap. You need to design a new puzzle piece (by overwriting one you don't want anymore), then edit the tilemap (hex code) so it's know to use that piece in the right spot.

You mentioned copying-and-pasting whole rinks instead of editing individual parts. Was that an easy process, or did you have to edit the hex code? I ask because the Vancouver 2010 ROM has the exact rink I want, besides having ice tiles in the bench areas and lacking the goal light as in your deadline ROMs. I'm wondering if I could implement that into a ROM without having to do too much puzzle-piecing together. And if so, would I have to re-edit the bench areas and goal light, or can I just copy over the ice tiles alone?

Here's a link to the Vancouver ROM: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/11002-vancouver-rom-shareware/?p=83461

Copying and pasting the rink is very simple. It's literally just copying pasting a whole code section when viewing the ROM in a hex editor.

Just taking the ice surface itself though, probably will not work. It's a complete package deal. Ice, boards, benches....

• 3 years later...
On 2/16/2014 at 6:13 PM, naples39 said:

Copying and pasting the rink is very simple. It's literally just copying pasting a whole code section when viewing the ROM in a hex editor.

Just taking the ice surface itself though, probably will not work. It's a complete package deal. Ice, boards, benches....

Can you give me the details on this @naples39

tough stuff, this.  good luck, guys!  mathy brains and computer pros probably think this stuff is a cakewalk.  I don't shuffle tiles in my ROMs, but I do try to edit them.  I do not know if I could make it easier on myself by teaching the tile editor to show whole single (SNES) tiles instead of a cascade of inseparable ones.  I think I understand that Genesis arrangements are easily achieved.  if anybody can teach me to have Nintendo ones display like that, PLEASE do.

On 12/17/2017 at 1:29 AM, CoachMac said:

Can you give me the details on this @naples39

TBH, I hate messing with rink/tile graphics and I haven't done it in a while, so I don't remember the hex sections of the ROM to do so.

Basically, the technique is finding the sections in the ROM that designates the tile graphics and layout, and just copy/pasting the whole big block of hex values. You'll have to go back through guides on these forums regarding rink graphics to figure out where those sections are.

The best I can do for you now is that once upon a time I made a bunch of ips patches. Just apply the IPS patch with an IPS program like Lunar IPS to a 94 genesis rom and it will apply that set of graphics to the ROM and change nothing else.

Patches.zip

Edited by naples39