NHL'94 Forums

Pens On/Off Discussion

• 1 year later...

Might as well use this thread...

We had penalties off last time, right? My understanding is this does funny things to the game. Tripping doesn't work the same way.

Is there a reason why we wanted penalties off?

Even apart from the mechanics, it makes it a bit more fun because you get some of your bench players into the game.

What do people think about turning them on?

Might as well use this thread...

We had penalties off last time, right? My understanding is this does funny things to the game. Tripping doesn't work the same way.

Is there a reason why we wanted penalties off?

Even apart from the mechanics, it makes it a bit more fun because you get some of your bench players into the game.

What do people think about turning them on?

Thought exactly the same thing: imo gives some tactical diversity to the game (plus as u said some benchwarmers will get some ice time :D )

I don't care either way. If there were a vote I'd vote penalties off since I was fortunate enough to win with that setup.

I also drafted Bret hedican and Scott young knowing I wouldn't get any ice time for a couple seasons until their ratings are good. With penalties on, they will see some ice this season even though they suck balls. So it's not ideal.

That being said, I kind of like the "flavour" that penalties can add to a game.

I'm for no penalties, as that's the way it was set up.

So, I'd prefer if we played with them off and based my auction off of these rules.

HOWEVER, Brute plays under any conditions. Just happy to be on the ice. No complaints in either direction.

it really seems unfair to change it on the fly, but I always think penalties and goaltender control and line changes and defense control and fatigue should be enabled. otherwise it's like "I only use Messier and he never gets tired and he never sits and you aren't allowed to stop him and...."

It's a valid point about changing the rules on the fly because people base their team selection around a certain set of rules.

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a consensus to change it. As that's already not the case I def won't force the issue.

I think it's 70/30 but in that 30 was Hali, which is like 10 votes!

Anyhow, if Hali wanted to put it to a vote w/ a super majority needed, like 75%?, I think that would be more than fair.

But again, last time, he didn't want it even voted on, so I'm not trying to speak for him.

For me, it's a straight balance issue. I have a handicap learning SNES from GENS, and like it being balanced out by you guys flailing at the B button vs me sometimes:)

I did draft my team to be better at C check, BUT the ONLY way to KNOCK down Lindros is w/ B check, so to claim I drafted my team based on the rules while you are asking for it WHILE having Lindros isn't that strong of a point anymore!!!

Even though I'm for keeping it, I'd be for a vote to see where everyone is at.

Heh I didn't claim you specifically drafted based on the rules, but it's normal people would!

I actually didn't think about it last year because I hadn't played much at all without penalties off and didn't realize the impact.

Lindros is coming for you one way or another. I just like a standardized set of rules and I enjoy the randomness of pens.

Pas de pens....we'll keep as is...I'd change it only if the entire league was unanimously against.