NHL'94 Forums

Empty Net '83

NYI80-83

NHL "Empty-Net'83"

- Using my NHL '82-'83'84 ROM I've began a 12-game regular season playing every game as the home team. Top 4 teams make the playoffs, all rounds will be Best of 5's

- The 21 teams of the era plus the Colorado Rockies, Cleveland Barons and Atlanta "Firebirds" (to avoid a Roughriders -like situation)

- Each team has a base roster of 12 Forwards, 7 Defencemen and 2 Goalies. Largely they are based on the '82-83 and '83-84 seasons with some adjustments made to compensate for the addition of the Rockies, Barons and Firebirds

- Each season a mini-roster is randomly selected from each of 5 Forwards, 3 D and 1 Goalie. This way good teams can have off seasons if most of their lower rated players are selected and vice versa

- Lines for each game also random, but distributed as evenly as possible among mini-roster players.

Week 4 - 3rd Period Action between the Cleveland Barons & Edmonton Oilers

Lineups:

Barons - Gilles Meloche (G), Al MacAdam (LW), Dennis Maruk (C ), Bob Girard (RW), Rick Hampton (LD), Jean Potvin (RD) ///// Oilers - Dave Semenko (LW), Ken Linseman (C ), Jari Kurri (RW), Paul Coffey (LD), John Blum (RD), Tom Roulston (EX)

Edited by NYI80-83

How are the ratings you used for the players working out?

Are you happy with the rom?

Labs you can find the rom here...

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/16185-nhl-82-83-84-rom/

Let me know how you think it plays.

NYI80-83 has some interesting ideas on rating players.

How are the ratings you used for the players working out?

Are you happy with the rom?

Labs you can find the rom here...

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/16185-nhl-82-83-84-rom/

Let me know how you think it plays.

NYI80-83 has some interesting ideas on rating players.

Thank you Coach Mac. I find they are working well. Notice in my highlight package, Paul Coffey capitalized on every offensive opportunity but failed to knock down the speedy Dennis Maruk. One flaw with my shortened rosters (I created another ROM with just Season 1 rosters) emerged when I was playing against the Sabres and Mike Ramsey came in at Forward to replace an injured player. The way I rated stay at home defencemen meant that Ramsey was an absolute beast, quickly scoring a 3rd period hat trick against me. I remedied this by creating a "taxi-squad" of 4 forwards and 2 d'men for each team, using real-life names from the era but all player ratings set at 33 (call it the replacement level player). A side benefit of this I've discovered is now teams are at a disadvantage if one of their players gets injured - which I like - unless it's a very weak player that's knocked out.

I've also created a blog for this project of mine. No posts up yet, some pages under construction, but there is some stuff to look at currently.

http://emptynet83.blogspot.ca/

Thanks for posting my ROM for LABS_66

Edited by NYI80-83

Checked out the blog, great stuff man! Good reads. Will def stay tuned

This is a great rom!

And I love the format, it makes playing the computer super challenging.

The player ratings are spot on and they play the most like themselves of anything I've seen.

Very ingenious way to use weight. Though I can't get used to how big Gretzky looks.

I did not realize how much you can notice the size of the players until I played this.

Minor trade off for how well it plays.

So I played a 7 game series best on best Oilers and Isles using goalies and my restrictions.

No dekes or upper rt corner slappers.

Oilers swept but the games were all competitive. 3-0, 4-3, 6-4, 5-1.

Then I played a series of empty net and got swept.

This would also be really fun Head to Head I think.

Anyway great job.

This is a great rom!

And I love the format, it makes playing the computer super challenging.

The player ratings are spot on and they play the most like themselves of anything I've seen.

Very ingenious way to use weight. Though I can't get used to how big Gretzky looks.

I did not realize how much you can notice the size of the players until I played this.

Minor trade off for how well it plays.

So I played a 7 game series best on best Oilers and Isles using goalies and my restrictions.

No dekes or upper rt corner slappers.

Oilers swept but the games were all competitive. 3-0, 4-3, 6-4, 5-1.

Then I played a series of empty net and got swept.

This would also be really fun Head to Head I think.

Anyway great job.

Thank you Coach Mac. This is good to hear, I'm glad it plays well. Certainly couldn't have strategized for the players to play as they do without the knowledge gained from you and others on the site.

So far it has been very challenging. I just ravaged the computer 8-3-1 in Week 7; not yet posted about - but had a major lineup advantage in many of those tilts. Raises my mark to 37-35-12 on the season playing with the empty net. Ideally I'll win 50-65% of the time - don't mind if I win a few more as I am the "home team". If it gets to 65% or greater I'll just impose more rules against me.

Right now I do do the deking, but I only try upper rt corner slappers with defencemen. Forwards can only pick the corner from inside the faceoff circle - ie they have to score "in the paint" - to steal a basketball term. So for example, as in the final stages of the Canucks-Firebirds footage I posted, Tom Lysiak gets knocked down before getting a shot off against Rick Lanz and Harold Snepsts - but perhaps if he was playing against weaker D he is able to get the shot off. Occasionally I'll accidentally fire one top corner "illegally" with a forward - OR accidentally force a d'man to put it in his own net - another self-imposed illegal move. I try to self-penalize by purposely passing away a breakaway later in the game if I can. If it's a real egregious break of my rule I'll just put it in my own net and shave the goals off the final score (if it's a non-televised game!)

I would like to figure out what makes goalies effective? I've always suspected that right-handed catching goalies are a bit tougher to score on. I seem to be noticing that some of my lower-rated tenders are just as good - if not better - at stopping the deke than the higher rated guys. ..And check out some of the stinkers 85 rating Richard Brodeur gives up in the VAN-ATL highlight package. Then I play against the Penguins and 40 rating Denis Herron is stoning me. I don't get it.

Edited by NYI80-83

I gotta try this myself, sounds like a great way to better yourself defensively and really concentrate on those little but very important aspects of the game. Love it!

I gotta try this myself, sounds like a great way to better yourself defensively and really concentrate on those little but very important aspects of the game. Love it!

My hunch is it would help with your defence. Necessitates the use of the A & B buttons - particularly if you are stuck with lightweight guys on your blueline. Playing with the empty net lends itself to some dirty defensive tricks, like the last ditch effort to try and play goalie with a defender which sometimes results in the defender knocking the net off before the puck goes in - something Atlanta's Dave Shand pulls off late in the 1st period in the highlight package I posted. A tactic I'm sure that wouldn't be needed in head to head; but is part of the strategy of the Empty Net game.

Edited by NYI80-83

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...