NHL'94 Forums

Rom Crash During Player Card/Pic Cycle

Rom base = wboy 30 team

Started crashing on both Vancouver and Washington. Only does it now on Washington. I changed nothing to get Vancouver to cycle through players in team selection menu. Just started working.

When I put it on Washington in the menu as soon as the first player pic tries to cycle the rom locks up. It's on Al Iafrate. Weird message saying record 3333/// shows up. I've read this may be a player card issue. Haven't been able to find a correction on this in the forum. No players have been deleted from roster. What do I need to do?

Wboy 30 team. Took the lcs all time legends rom and tweaked some things. All ive done to this rom is edit the rosters (some names and attributes), team uniforms, and swapped the goal siren for the period ending horn. I use androgens for my emulator and play lots of other roms with no problems.

NHL Heroes.bin

Edited by Tex

well you have 2 roms put together, not sure how that happened, that could be why you have errors, best thing to do is start fresh from an original 94 rom and an ips patch from wboy. if you need one I can send you one.

Two roms... :the_iron_man:

How does that even happen? I used NOS and EARE to edit. I spent a lot of time on this, there's no way im starting over. I'll just not use Washington. What a downer.

Hm, weird. This crash normally happens if you've deleted players from the teams so there are fewer than there were originally. But if you haven't deleted players, that's surprising that it happens.

Did you use the player pictures feature of EARE? You click a button and it sets all the player pictures for you. If you've used that and it's crashing.. might be my fault :D (author of EARE)

No, I didn't use it since it was an NHL Legends Rom. I like the generic player cards since they're no player pics for example Bobby Hull. I did use EARE but only to edit team overall ratings. I think the guy that created the original Rom for this got something jacked up. As long as you don't let Washington cycle in the menu you're fine. You can even play with Washington if you hit start before the cards cycle. Other than that it's fine. I'm just happy I figured out how to swap sound in hxd.

Edited by Tex

• 9 months later...

Bump.

This problem is also happening in my Rise of the North Shore Demo for MIAA Women's Hockey 20I5, and this had occurred while working on the hack using the original NHL '94 ROM, and also while I had begun working from scratch using Wboy's 030 Team ROM.

I presume that what's happening here, at least in my case (it might be different for you, as you are using a different ROM than me) is that this is a coding issue where the ROM Image is attempting to read and display players that are not there, and due to that, the game will crash probably due to insufficient, or the lack of, certain data that is supposed to be present; this crash will also happen if you have the Player Lines not properly edited in NOSE, so if you find a line that says "Hex !!!! (Number)", then do make sure that you fix this immediately, or the ROM will crash whenever you go into a Roster Menu, get to that Player Card at Ron Barr's commentary screen, score a goal, get a penalty, and I even think that it happens when a player gets injured, or when the Stars of the Game screen pop up.

I presume that this will be a factor for all NHL '94 ROM hackers until one of two probable scenarios happen:

~ Somebody makes a Bugfix of NHL 94 (UE) [!] or Wboy's 030 Team ROM to prevent crashes while reading the roster for each team.

~ Disassembly Hacks become completely possible, both for the original ROM and 030 Team ROM, respectively, which will allow us to deal with the code and other material in a faster and far more bearable way than we are currently subject to deal with.

For now, if any of us have a hack that has less players than what NHL '94 originally provides, then best bets are to just have Placeholder Players for now, just so that the ROM doesn't crash at all.

You don't have to call them anything aside from "Forward (Number)" and "Defenseman (Number)", as Wboy had done in the 030 Team ROM, and you do not have to have them in your Player Lines, but this is the best way, at the time of this post (that I know of, anyway), that will allow you to go through the Main Menu without having a crash such as this happen; unless if one of the above two scenarios happen though, where we do either get a Bugfix for Assembly Hacks or the ability to make Disassembly Hacks and get rid of the glitch ourselves, we will probably have to use the Placeholder Method for a while, and while it could be a bit strenuous to do this at times, at least there is the hope that this will help out, for the most part.

Sorry, can you summarize what you're saying / recommending?

If you have info you can add to the original player card thread (http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/216-how-to-player-card-tutorial-nhl94-nhl95/) to make it clearer / less error prone, that'd be awesome.

As for a hack to prevent the crash, I don't think anyone will do that :(

• 1 month later...

I would if I knew how. it's the one problem that prevented me from releasing a Genesis hack. I had tweaked a bunch of the physics aspects and had the game playing like the SNES version with its accurate skating and actual fun. but, every time you wanted to see the players cycle through it would crash. fixing it was beyond me -- at that point at least -- and didn't seem to be worth the effort for my own stupid project. getting it set up for everybody else would make it worthwhile, though. somebody do it; it's a problem for almost everybody and it's not something well explained for getting the average newcomer to have ease in fixing.

I had this issue with my Original 6 limited roster roms.

I fixed it by using the max players (26) on every team. (filled extra slots with drones)

Also make sure that the forwards and defensemen are set properly.

I believe it is 15 forwards, 8 defense, and 3 goalies.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/16814-nhl-67/

This solved the problem for me.

When cycling through it looks for top forwards, top d, and goalies.

When you limit rosters to say 10 skaters and 2 goalies it can't find the defensemen.

I would think GDL and Blitz roms would have this issue but I don't know.

I think the better solution would be taking those extra players back off and changing the pointers to the first goalie, first three forwards listed and the first two defensemen, too. that way, as long as you have a full six to ice, you won't have the crashing/freezing issue.