NHL'94 Forums

League Commish's Question/proposal

Should we consider having quitting or replacement penalties apply accross the 3 major GENS leagues - GDL, Blitz and Classic?

Meaning, if a coach is replaced due to a DNP or quits, they are not allowed to play in the next season of thr next league in adddition to subsequent season of league they quit in.

Ex. I am DNPed in GDL, the next league is Blitz, i'm not allowed to play that season. In addiditon I am not allowed to play in the subsequent GDL season.

Any other idea's? This comes from the fact we replaced 8 of 24 coaches, for various reasons, in this past GDL season.

I think the best strategy with GDL might be downsizing the league and playing more games against fewer coaches. Fewer opponents with more games per session makes it easier to hammer your games out. Instead of having to track down 23 coaches it's much easier to track down 17 or whatever.

The big problem is there just isn't as much interest from many of the coaches. I know I fall into that category. But if you go around banning coaches you're really going to water down the competition. Maybe instead we should make it more exclusive and that would encourage people. Plus, then if people don't play the waiting list would be stronger too, making slackers easier to replace.

I always thought GDL should split into an A and B league like Blitz. Makes for better competition for everyone.

I say leave the decision to each commissioner for each league separate. I agree with Bo that there isn't enough interest, particularly from the elite, to start restrictions.

Ya i'm all in favor of a 16 team GDL and maybe an 8 team B league. But i've heard from a few people they didnt like the downsizing idea.

I'll throw up a poll prior to GDL XII start, probably late august.

If you split into A and B would be sort of like downsizing with an easier schedule, which would help there.

I don't know, I think it kind of loses something when it splits into A and B though and you don't see every player in the league. Not being split is part of what made GDL different from Blitz too, for what it's worth.

GDL needs regional divisions battle, that would be epic.

I always thought GDL should split into an A and B league like Blitz. Makes for better competition for everyone.

I say leave the decision to each commissioner for each league separate. I agree with Bo that there isn't enough interest, particularly from the elite, to start restrictions.

Great idea... I would really be in favor of this.

Don't care either way how the GDL is organized, but fully in favor of banning guys for the following season if they quit. To me that shows they're either unreliable/unavailable for whatever reason or don't give a s**t who their actions impact. Oust em.

The only 1 who should be banned is u!! GDL needs to implement a salary cap rule so guys like can't get stacked and if ur active the salary cap goes up done!

I think downsizing to 18-20 teams would make for less DNP's, and make the playoffs re-seed from all conferences, but still have Regionally weighted schedules.

This does 3 things.

#1 Creates a real wait list so you have meaningful replacement coaches when needed & tightens some of the competition.

#2 By making the playoff seeding not conference selective, you don't have to worry how even you make the conferences, and can focus on put guys in the same time zones in the same divisions.

#3 By having the divisions weighted for the majority of your games to play, you get the stats, win/loss records close enough to talent/vs record and get less DNPS.

While you might end up with a guy who would normally make the playoffs all day missing out to a lesser opponent because he had an easier schedule, you already have that because of the high number of DNP's.

I'd do 18 teams, with Commish & maybe two guys voting who is in/out based on skill & ability to play those games. Make the playoffs more exclusive, because let's face it, maybe 6 guys play for a Cup. 8 teams makes it intense, or you could go with 16 teams, and everyone pretty much makes it. But with reduced teams, you have a higher talent on the Waiting List & can replace guys not playing their games if needed.

Edited by Brutus

I don't agree w/ penalizing guys from league to league, as some times, it's a different commish, and different style & different league mates, and you might just get turned off by one of the three, but be a great league mate in the other leagues.

Plus, there is enough drama already. I think crossing league penalties begs for the Divas to flare up & ruin both leagues.

ALSO, downsizing creates for a more stacked league, and changes the draft values/format/trades, etc, and could spice things up. By having "less" talent in the league over the past two seasons, I believe the league records/stats are probably already "tainted" anyhow.

Edited by Brutus

Great idea... I would really be in favor of this.

You're not even in GDL... Someone else had to finish the big opponents on your schedule. I'm sure you would love to plead with the commish to be in 'B' and win your 4th+ B league title on this site.

But back to the topic, this is a great idea. 8 coaches for a league is very ideal imo. Keeps enthusiasm and participation up. League membership by invite is the best way to go for any league that involves drafts, deadlines, etc. Sign-ups and waitlists attract too many non-reliable coaches that drop mid-season.

Edited by kupuck19