NHL'94 Forums

nhl post season transactions

minpind

Already a pretty big trade with Hartnell for Umberger. I'd like to know how superfan OrangeBlack feels about this? It took me by surprise. Umberger is pretty versatile, but Hartnell seemed like such a key peice to the flyers. Anyone else have any thoughts on this one?

There's a 4th round pick in there somewhere, too, isn't there?

Correct. It still seems like the flyers could have gotten a smidge more out of the deal. Maybe it's the fact the the Flyers really wanted Umberger back, but they probably could have gotten more for Hartnell if they shopped him to other teams or waited a little closer to the draft.

Also, lol at this:

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2014/06/umberger-traded-for-hartnell.html

"Hartnell makes the Blue Jackets faster and more physical"

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=723501&navid=nhl:topheads

"The number one thing was we wanted to get quicker up front," Hextall
said. "Whenever you make a deal there's a lot of considerations that
come into the mix, but I guess the one for us was quickness."

Lol good thing each team gets faster because of this trade.........................

I think Columbus gave too much up. Player for player would have been enough.

Edited by LABS_66

I think Columbus gave too much up. Player for player would have been enough.

Youre definitely in the minority there. Everyone else thinks it's another boneheaded flyer trade. Hartnell >>>>>>Umberger and in general 4th rounder is a marginal AHLer

In the salary cap era, some players contracts start to outweigh the players value and if you can get back a player that plays above his contract's value, you can then hopefully go sign someone at their value as a free agent w/ your cap room, and end up with more talent than if you just had one guy playing less than his contract warrants.

Teams like Columbus have hard times signing free agents, so it makes sense for them to want to take on vets w/ talent that might not be the best cap values.

Not sure if that's what went on here, but from a glance, that would seem the case to me.

Of course, if you don't go sign anyone to replace the talent you lost, then you have a better cap situation, but a much worse team.

And, there is always the case to be made if Hartnell is a bad contract or not.

Edited by Brutus

In the salary cap era, some players contracts start to outweigh the players value and if you can get back a player that plays above his contract's value, you can then hopefully go sign someone at their value as a free agent w/ your cap room, and end up with more talent than if you just had one guy playing less than his contract warrants.

Yeah that makes sense, but they pretty much have the same contracts (Hartnell 4.75 till 2019 and Umberger 4.6 till 2017)

Unless it's to bump up someone on the 3rd or 4th line to eventually fill Hartnell's shoes, and if that doesn't work out, throw Umberger in that spot. Not sure where he will fit but if lecavallier stays philly could have the most expensive 3rd and 4th line in the league. This trade reminds me of those weird trades in the 70's/80's you read about and go "wtf"

this is a weird one... i know philly's got some young guys with talent and i'm sure will be fine offensively. but i don't understand why this was all they traded him for. would've at least thought they'd try to get a d-man for him.

Well, Umberger is an obvious notch below Hartnell, but not 2 to 3 notches, at least not last year.

Both are 32. And 4.6M 3 yrs or 4.75M for 5 years, I would probably not want either from 35 yrs old & on at that money.

I gotta imagine by the time Hartnell is 35, unless the cap keeps going up, his final two seasons of that contract at 36 & 37 will be bad for Columbus.

My only thoughts are perhaps this is the only time you could dump those last two years and still get something back.

I agree they might not have gotten back what you'd want for 4.6M, but maybe there weren't many options on the table w/ 5 years left at 4.75 for Hartnell, but Umberger at 4.6M for 3 years doesn't sound like a sweet deal either.

Edited by Brutus

if anyone has any interest in analytics... they support the claim that this was a great trade by columbus. they added an above average player and got rid of a below average player.

tomorrows trade

Kesler to pitts for james Neal

That seems fair. Kesler had a short list of where he wanted to go, hopefully he opens it up a bit more. I heard it might take a 3 team trade to get him where he wants to go.

Lol anyone see Jason Spezza's list of the 10 teams he won't go to?

Report from @DarrenDreger says 10 teams on Jason Spezza's no-trade list are: MON, TOR, WPG, EDM, CGY, VAN, NASH, FLA, NYI, #CBJ.

Looks like he really wants out of Canada,and hates expansion teams, and screw the Islanders just because.

i expect the pens to be really active in trade rumors now that they finally have a gm and a coach.

the fact that rutherford can't seem to keep his mouth shut should only add to the entertainment.