NHL'94 Forums

Protection Rules

Brutus

Ok. I'm hearing multiple things from multiple people, so I think it would be good to clarify the rules before we get too far into the draft, as it already screwed up Labs.

Here's what I understand so far:

Blitz 09 (this season)

This year is an open draft on all rounds, with teams able to trade 5 times, and no future picks/protects able to be moved.

Blitz 10 (next season)

Round 1 is a protect round. Each team protects one player off their roster, and we start the draft at Round 2 based on records, DNP's ,etc from the players not protected in Round 1.

** You cannot trade your Round 1 protect is also what I heard, and no team can keep two players in Round 1.

Round 2 is an open round, and each team can trade that pick or draft someone from the players available.

**There are no protects in Round 2 this year.

Round 3 is a protect round. You have one protect and can protect one player not yet selected from Round 2 off your team.

Now here comes in the issues I don't understand, and would prefer this clarified.

#1 Can I trade my Protect in Round 3/5/7, etc to someone else for a pick? Currently, you can't trade Round 1 protects, but have not heard a ruling on after Round 1.

#2 IF you can trade protects, that would imply another team has multiple protects now for Round 3, and then can protect two of their remaining players prior to the start of Round 4.

#3 IF you can trade for protects, is there a cap on HOW many you can keep (2, 3, 4, etc)? In theory, someone could acquire three Round 3 protects if you dumped enough of your other talent.

I also hear talk about drafting a round before protects, and talk of protecting before drafting a round, so obviously confusion runs rampant here.

IN ADDITION, there seems to be confusion on IF you have to use your protect, or if you get to draft end of that Round if you waive your protect?

So, say I don't have a Round 1 pick this year, and I don't want to use my protect, do I get to draft from the remaining players that weren't protected before Round 2 starts, or is this non-optional?

Frey will ultimately decide, but I would vote:

* NO protection picks should be allowed to trade as this is the cause of stacking. The only people trading AWAY protects are people who don't value them 'cause it's not valuable. The people trading FOR protects usually have a pair of guys worth keeping. Instant stack.

* After someone picks a player in 2/4/6 rounds, the previous owner of that player can CHOOSE to protect a player in the following round, so you don't lose more than 1 player per round. You can protect, or get a compensation pick AFTER protects are in.

- example. I have Iafrate and Manson on my team this season. Someone drafts Iafrate in 2nd round next season, I could then CHOOSE to protect Manson in 3rd, or not.

* If the coach chooses NOT to protect, he should get a pick at the end of the protection round. In my example, if I choose not to protect Manson, I pick after everyone protects their players in RD3.

* I dislike (and always have) doing protects up front. It's facilitates more stacking. I can explain, but just think about it.

The reverse is true in Blitz 11....1st round is open, after each pick someone protects their RD2, etc.

It takes a little longer to draft, but worth it. You can always send or post your protection picks in order, or say you opt out to avoid waiting. So again, everyone would know ahead of time...if Iafrate gets picked, I protect Manson. If Manson gets picked, I protect Iafrate...etc.

Anyway, that's my two cents...I think that would keep the Blitz tradition of keeping players season to season, as well as help make sure teams don't stack before the draft even starts.

My suggestion to upgrade the rules. Had some chats about it in the Blitz 09 chat.

Depch
Blitz 10, protection round 1. 20 Guys out of 24 choose to protect their guys and 4 decide that no one is worth of a protect on their team. If the draft order was like it this year and let's say the 4 guys are Depch,Plabax,Swos and Labs. I dropped Belfour since he sucked ass. I can choose whatever from plabax,swos or labs team or anyones not protected players. Plabax goes insane and takes Belfour as I chose someone else and thinks it's good. Swos hates Modano and instead takes his favourite pet Ronning and so on. Next 2nd round is open round. Labs 1st round guys are still up for grabs as he took an old penguins guy Tocchet on his first pick (since no protect). ... Open round picks you pick someone and you drop someone from your team to keep it balanced. 3rd round repeat of first round. 23 guys decide to protect and I don't have a 3rd rounder next year so I'll skip. That one guy who has two 3rd rounders will pick protect 2 guys available still on their team or protect and and choose one. I think it's a simple concept how it allows you to protect for contuinity or blow up your team if you want.
plabax
what happens if all my players get drafted
plabax
i just draft normally?
plabax
what if I cant protect anyone
plabax
in round 2 the remaining 11 players from my squad are drafted
Depch
plabax: that would suck
Depch
but you had an extremely deep stacked team
Depch
and it deserved to got blown up
To to simplify the changes
-No rules about only losing 1 player per team per round, stacked teams deserve to get blown up. Let markets rule. Not sure if this was a rule but this would simplify things
-Add the option to blow up your team up yourself or not. As of current you can blow your team up but you have to protect shitty players or waste trades for them.
-If you decide to pick instead of protect we already have a draft order where players will choose who did not use their protect.

For simplification sake, i'd vote only round 1 protects as non tradeable (and round 2 year of open round 1).

Stacking to me is having multiple first round players on your squad. If you end up with 3 second rounders and no first or third rounders, thats not stacked imo.

I don't really like depch's idea, that would be too easy, main concept of blitz is the continuity between the seasons, if you screwed up on a draft, you will have to rebuild by doing trades or by picking better the following seasons. We could give the option to disband a team every 3 seasons like smoz said on the other topic, but that remains to be seen... I pretty much agree about everything king said, except the part where you renounce of a protection pick...I believe ice is right there: you should be able to trader later protection round picks. having a couple of 3rd or 5th rounders isnt stacking a team.

I believe any protection picks in the 1s round (season 10) or 2nd round (season 11) shouldnt be tradable thought.

Ok, Question how draft runs in Season 10 next year then.

Let's say Round 1, everybody protects a player.

Round 2 everyone drafts from the remaining unprotected pool.

Round 3 Everyone who has their Round 3 protect, protects a player.

Round 4 everyone drafts from the remaining unprotected pool.

ETC.

HOWEVER, if I trade my Round 3 protect next season for Season 10, do I just not get a Round 3 player, or do I pick at the end of the Round 3 before Round 4?

Because then obviously if you trade a protect, it's like trading an actual pick, where as the other way, it would be like trading down in Round 3 type thing.

ALSO, do I have the top part right as well?

So you have Hull, kamensky and Iafrate on your team (example). You have a 3rd round protect

Round 1 is protect

Round 2 is open

Iafrate is picked 2.15

---> this is where your protection pick comes in, Kamensky will be automaticly protected if thats what you wish.

If you trade your round 3 protect you don't get to pick at the end of the round, you will probably get a 4th round draft pick for it.

Ok, so the protect on trade is basically a draft pick for a round that doesn't run. Losing the protect, loses an actual player you could have "selected" by protecting them.

The only reason you trade it for a Round below is because you have no one on your team worth that high of a protect, and at least get the Round 4 pick presumably worth more to your new roster than the guy you would keep, and the team getting the protect has two Round 3 players worth protecting, in theory.

Well, anyone who tanks an entire season this year will potentially get high 2nd round pick, and can grab any #1 off a team that has 2 #1's, so in theory, you still could stack your team.

But, you'd have to punt an entire season to do so, and it would only last for one season.