NHL'94 Forums

swos (the game not the guy)

anyone play sensible world of soccer at all? best soccer game ever in my opinion. just 1 button and a dpad is all ya need, a model of simplicity. definitely could say it is the nhl94 of soccer games. anyway, ive been playing it a lot with people across the pond and i gotta say, their community really impresses me. they have a league called the ASL (amiga super league) that is entering its 117th season. they make it very easy to get started, all you need to do is download the amiga pack and it comes with everything you need to play offline and online with different graphics and updated and classic rosters. for a game released in 1997 it is very in depth. you can play simulated leagues in almost any country you can think of, world cup or champions league also, its pretty amazing really. best part of it all for me is when i play people from italy or england i have experienced literally no lag, i donno why this happens but online the game plays so smooth i cant even tell the difference from playing offline.

anyway, if anyone wants to download the pack you can get it at this address ( http://www.sensiblesoccer.de/amigatotalpack/amiga_swostp_v1.5_setup.exe ) and you can check out the site ( http://www.sensiblesoccer.de/ ) goto the site and if you like the game and consider joining the site because america and canada are poorly represented over there, and when i say poorly i mean literally nobody. so download the pack, play it and if you like it, hit me up for games. its all a piece of cake and a ton of fun.

heres a video of two of the best swos players in the world playing so you can get an idea of what this game is capable of:

Edited by donnybrook

yeah of course. havent played it in over 10 years though. To play you really need amiga joystick or keyboard. I have amiga usb joystick but I still havent played it online more than few games. I'm sensiblesoccer.de member #426

ya i bought a suncom tac-2 joystick for amiga that plugs into my gens converter. its a badass stick. Normal_tac2.jpg

also, i forgot to mention that there is a gens verison of swos. i think the amiga one is way better but would be up for playing either one.

Edited by donnybrook

Sensible soccer is indeed the 94 of footy games & the european community is massive. They even meet up to have regular live tournaments in different countries (like many in this community say would not work) I believe.

So glad to hear they have custom roms too. I would love to get into it, but just don't have the time for more online gaming.

When I was a kid Sensi & 94 were the games of choice for me & my mates. Endless leagues all the time. Just brilliant. Don't be fooled by the simplicity of the control system or basic graphics. This game has real substance just like 94. Many ways to play tactically unlike most sports games where therw's a set style you need to master to have success. Legendary game. If I have more time in the future i'll definitely sign up

one thing those krafty euros have is their own private kaillera server. if you enter " swos.it " on "custom ip" when going onto servers youll see it. its great because it doesnt show up on the master server list so if we could figure out how to make one for ourselves we would likely be the only ones using it and it uses an actual server so it has a higher bandwidth. anybody have any idea how we would go about making a nhl94.com server on kaillera?

I set up a kaillera server one time for '94 and it was pretty easy. I'm guessing there must be a command to keep it hidden/unpublished.

Btw, rackspace.com is pretty cheap for temporary cloud servers. Worked well for a 2v2 game, but was a little choppy. Could've been the participants, so who knows.

one thing those krafty euros have is their own private kaillera server. if you enter " swos.it " on "custom ip" when going onto servers youll see it. its great because it doesnt show up on the master server list so if we could figure out how to make one for ourselves we would likely be the only ones using it and it uses an actual server so it has a higher bandwidth. anybody have any idea how we would go about making a nhl94.com server on kaillera?

Europeans play P2P exclusively, almost no kaillera servers games.

Sensible soccer is indeed the 94 of footy games & the european community is massive. They even meet up to have regular live tournaments in different countries (like many in this community say would not work) I believe.

One of those annual tournaments was held last weekend in Denmark.

There are many Amiga versions of SWOS. Original SWOS (with bugs), improved SWOS called 1.1, then 95/96 (with added curled ground passes and the so called standing headers) and 95/96 European Championships edition (some improvments over 95/96 and 16 teams and correct format in Euro Championships) and then 96/97, which is taken as the ultimate version of Amiga SWOS. Update disk was released for this version too. I personally prefer SWOS 1.1 as it was the game I played on a regular basis in nineties and I think it's more difficult than later versions, with curled ground passes it's way too easy to overplay the computer opponent.

If you like the Genesis versions of Sensi, try Atari Jaguar version, the gameplay is the same and it looks brilliant. Should work fine under an emulator on modern PCs.

As a huge Amiga SWOS and Mega Drive Sensible Soccer fan I was interested in online playing years ago, it was 2007 I think, visited their chat and arranged few games. I think I am a very good player but these guys from sensiblesoccer.de are pure fanatics and play this game like gods, I had no chance. And I played just few friendlies against players ranked around 30-50 (at that time there were around 150 ranked players, not 40 or 50 like nowadays), competition matches against the best must be a butchery. If you decide to play their leagues and tourneys on a regular basis, expect months and hundreds of games to become at least below average player, good luck :-)

Reason for editing: many typos.

Edited by DominikJagr