NHL'94 Forums

Port forwarding

LA Robbie

Advice from the computer savvy people please:

The other week Donnybrook helped me set up port forwarding on my router. I then set the firewall to allow gens through & everything worked fine. Played a number of games against several different players.

The other day Gens had a fit. Every now & then it won't open roms. Just plays the music but no picture. Only way i've found to rectify the problem is to download the "Gens complete" pack again off the website. Well since I did that no one can direct connect to me like before.

The only thing I can think of is that I haven't set up the specific protocol on the firewall to allow communications through port 27886 (Or whatever it is) but I didn't do that before & it worked fine until the Gens reinstall.

Any ideas?

instead of redownloading the package, you can probably just delete the gens.cfg file to reset gens (sometimes my gens spazzes out and this fixes it)

but.. don't know what the problem is.. i don't think it has to do with port forwarding?

what's the question exactly?? :D

.. don't know what the problem is.. i don't think it has to do with port forwarding?

what's the question exactly?? :D

I set up port forwarding. Everything is right in terms of the router. I also clicked to allow gensnetplaysave through the firewall for domestic, work & public networks. Everything was fine. Was playing via direct connect for a couple of weeks vs various players.

Since I redownloaded the gens package no one can direct connect to me. I have no idea what has changed since putting a new gens netplaysave on my machine, but that seems to have been the moment that direct connect stopped working.

I have no idea so just wondering if anyone with the knowledge can think of anything?

Just a thought, perhaps you enabled the old gens file to go through port forwarding, but the new one has not been setup to go through. Not sure what goes into the firewall enabling something through it, but it might be more than just "name of a file" type thing, and might be specific to the actual file to prevent programs from somehow slipping through via a "mask".

I've not set up direct porting, but perhaps the file location changed when you re-installed, or something simple like that as well.

Try re-setting up the firewall to enable the new gens file you created.

I have disactivated, then reactivated the port forwarding in the router, which I hope will associate it with the new gens program/file.

Just need someone to test it with!

Just an FYI for anyone who uses port forwardin who mite find themselves in this situation, I had to access the router & delete everything i'd previously set up, & then set it up again from scratch. I guess it had associated itself with the previous version of Gens, as suggested.

Thanks for the assistance guys. As I now know to just delete the cfg file to reset Gens hopefully it wont be an issue again

I think windows might know that the exe has been replaced and revoked the firewall permission. you may need to go back in and set it up manually again.

Start Button -> Windows Firewall

Inbound Rules

Find Gens.exe, delete all occurrences of it.

Run gens, try to host a game. I think windows will pop up a firewall thing.. allow the connection.

If windows doesn't do anything, then back in Windows Firewall, click "New Rule" on the right. Select "Port". select "TCP" and enter the port number. "Next" "Allow the connection"

I think that'll make it so even if you replace gens.exe it'll keep working.

Success?

Basically I deleted all the gens & netplaysaves except one from the firewall (there were loads I guess since it produced a new one each time I downloaded a new gens). Then I deleted the port forwarding from the router.

I then set up port forwarding again & made sure that netplaysave was allowed thru the firewall.

All seems good

you shouldn't need to re-do it in the router, but good that it's working!

Yeah, I don't understand why but that was definitely the problem. I deactivated & reactivated it first but it didn't help. It was only resolved by deleting it in the router & then setting it up all over again

OK Smoz. Any thoughts? Had the same trouble again today. The only way of putting it right apparently is to unassign the port forwarding in the router & then reassign. I've no idea what the origin might be

My guess is that your computer's IP address is changing? Because in the router, you usually tell it to forward data for a port to a particular IP address on your network. If your computer's IP changed, then the data is forwarded to nowhere.

If it changes a lot, you should set up windows to use a static IP address (although you need to remember to disable it when away from your house or you may not be able to connect to other wifis)