NHL'94 Forums

プロホッケー

clockwise

EA Hockey, NTSC-J cart.

Since I don't own a Mega Drive or an adapter, yet, I'm unable to find out if there are any differences between other regions.

I did look around to see if there was a ROM dump of this cart, but I wasn't able to find one.

EnYiq9i.jpg

For some reason I was thinking that I couldn't test the game because the cart slot for the Mega Drive and Genesis are different, and that they have to be disassembled or modded to be played. But it's actually the Super Famicom and SNES that have different sized cart slots on the consoles. I have a SFC, and should know better.

Region lockout with Mega Drive games didn't begin until around '93, I think, but I'm not sure if that applies to EA carts.

So, let's see if they're compatible, or if the game is locked out and won't go past the Sega-license screen.

eTjTeso.jpg

The weather made it worth lugging the HTPC outside. Had to go back in once I remembered how massive the AC adapter is for the

Genesis, and I needed to grab a power strip.

zL1yIzQ.jpg

Brought NHL Hockey along to compare, and I couldn't find my PAL, EA Hockey cart.

6aIKkUx.jpg

Haven't played on this since I did the component RGB comparison in 2011.

_ZKBMEnX.jpg

Twins; should fit fine. The standard size cart with the tan PCB and gold pins is Sensible Soccer, European Champions.

BrqB2Vt.jpg

Just wanted to hear the intro tunes and see the menu before I try to do any comparisons.

ZN1Zlma.jpg

Memories.

mGeQ1tD.jpg

Moment of truth.

YLrwZ6W.jpg

Nice. Looks and sounds the same as the PAL version.

xeJ1G50.jpg

Everything looks normal. Wait, what? Member change?

VmH7aaT.jpg

In case you're wondering, there are no special or different teams between the PAL and NTSC-J version. That means no extra Japanese team, which I was hoping to see.

XL441g1.jpg

Good lord. Poland is so boned.

In the PAL version of the match-up screen it has Goalie instead of Keeper.

I9GokBL.jpg

Since the game doesn't show who scored or assisted, the time after a goal till a center-ice faceoff is really quick, and I couldn't get

pics of the first two goals, but both of them were slappers.

WbVbKEd.jpg

Neutral no more. Taking this pic cost me the scrap.

8pNDkDI.jpg

And this one.

iILm68h.jpg

A Winrar is you, Polka peoples!

wfVohQe.jpg

The PAL version has Stats instead of Status.

I'll update the post if I find any more differences worth noting, but EA Hockey is still as fun as it's always been.

gg

cool stuff. I love that game. it plays a lot better than '93. I prefer it over Genesis '94. everybody should give this thing a chance.

• Like 1

Enjoyed the pics and comments clockwise...thanks for posting this. I'm on my way over there for a few games bud.

• Like 1

Awesome...I think I fell into a 5 minute daydream looking at the first pic. Cool summer breezes, nice drinks, good friends, Genesis...that room! :eyes_droped:

His house's "outside" is nicer than mine's inside :(

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/25/2014 at 11:10 PM, smozoma said:

His house's "outside" is nicer than mine's inside :(

My inside might be "outside", soon. I lost that house and pretty much my whole family. Life can turn on a dime. 

1 hour ago, clockwise said:

My inside might be "outside", soon. I lost that house and pretty much my whole family. Life can turn on a dime. 

:( Very sorry to hear this bud, that's rough.  Hope you make it out to Vegas in September for KO94 II, your Guinness is on me.

Thanks all. Probably shouldn't have posted that, but you do things like that when bad things happen. 

10 hours ago, skip said:

That's the Euro version. Maybe there is a dump of the Japanese version, but I've never played it on an emulator. 

• 3 months later...