NHL'94 Forums

League Idea

Have been thinking about a new format for a league, thought i'd think out loud here to see what people think.

Was thinking of a "Skill Cap" draft league.

Basically each team is allowed a certain amount of points on their team for:

Speed

Shot accuracy

Shot power

Weight

And whatever other key in-game skills people care to identify.

You then draft your team but you have to consider how many points you're using in each skill category while you're drafting so you take Mario but you've used up a big percentage of your Shot accuracy & power points as well as a fair bit of weight. Take Krupp & a big chunk of weight allowance has gone. Mogilny occupies a lot of your speed etc etc etc.

You'd have some guys who beef up their starting 6 but have a really weak bench. Others might share the points around to have a solid roster without any big stars etc.

Just an idea right now. Anyone think it has legs?

I like the idea, but I'm not sure if we need another league right now. It might be preferable to get Blitz going first. Another idea would be just to use the overall rating (you could use a custom formula if you don't like the default) that corresponds to the salary. That way everyone could customize their teams how they like. If you limit the amount of speed, size, etc., then I think that most teams would end up pretty similar.

I thought about having a salary cap style where there is a formula for creating players on your team.

Say base player is 3's across the board. Lowering a number reduces that players salary & adding points increases salary.

Make certain skills weight heavier on the salary scale & then also make the 5th skill point & 6th skill points cost more to add than the 4th.

In this scenario, guys create their own players & names given a cap.

The effect would be similar to your idea. If you are only drafting players though, then I think an auction style league does the same thing in effect plus you get the joy of an auction.

However, the shortage of league completion is an obvious issue.

To me, I failed to hire someone last year to create a tourney style website. Then you can have these quick one week drafts, or whatever, & also makes weekend exibing something more fun to join on for short bursts.

Would tie in nicely w/ a create a team w/ a salary cap as well.

I've had an idea of making an NES Ice Hockey rom, where you can only pick small (fast and easy to knock down, lousy shots), medium (average at everything), or fat guys (slow but great shooting), but never got around to it. It might work better as a league though.

I thought about having a salary cap style where there is a formula for creating players on your team.

Say base player is 3's across the board. Lowering a number reduces that players salary & adding points increases salary.

Make certain skills weight heavier on the salary scale & then also make the 5th skill point & 6th skill points cost more to add than the 4th.

In this scenario, guys create their own players & names given a cap.

The effect would be similar to your idea. If you are only drafting players though, then I think an auction style league does the same thing in effect plus you get the joy of an auction.

However, the shortage of league completion is an obvious issue.

To me, I failed to hire someone last year to create a tourney style website. Then you can have these quick one week drafts, or whatever, & also makes weekend exibing something more fun to join on for short bursts.

Would tie in nicely w/ a create a team w/ a salary cap as well.

Yeah, I like this idea too and toyed with it for a bit. I wanted to figure out what a good "price" would be for each attribute, so you can't load up on SHP and SPD.

Get a budget.

You need to create 12 guys

You get $x to spend on attributes

Attribute prices vary by attribute by level (6 more expensive than 5, more expensive than 4...Speed more expensive than shot accuracy...)

Different prices for F and D.

You can make it a dynasty too. But top teams actually lose money for next season, worse teams get more money. Tries to even out skill level.