NHL'94 Forums

Maybe the 5-7 Coaches who have mastered all the glitches in 94 should have there own leagues.

hokkeefan

The guys who have mastered all the glitches (which they think is fair and evolving the game LOL) should have there own league so they can cheat amongst themselves and wont make others hate the game. Seriously though , who wants to play these guys?
We can have 1 side with the fair players and all the rest can be in there own lg, cause its really unfair and no fun playing the guys who have mastered the glitches in the game.
Have the clean side and the glitch side.
I will not play in the so called A lg anymore and also some others would rather play in B lg as well cause of the cancer of 94(cheating, glitching)
We need to keep this game as close as we can to the way it was meant to be played and bring the fun back.

and don't give me that bullshit that you have to learn how to defend against the cheats ,why let the cheaters win,put them in there own league and let them drag it out for 3-4 months cause there too busy practicing how to cheat,I have said this for awhile now ,that these guys are ruining the game for everyone else . These guys can also unlearn the way they have been playing and get back to playing FAIR.
BAN ALL CHEATS !!

Edited by hokkeefan

lol

You scored often on me with a gay ass 5 hole slapper.

glitch?

Rules and Legislation as to how a game is played happens everywhere in real sports look at the NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB.

All have had radical changes as to how the game is played, to make it safer and/or more entertaining.

Many moves are now banned, blows to the head, blocking below the waist, goalies playing the puck outside the trapezoid, 2 line passes, etc.....

Lots of people hate the changes, lots love them, and most don't know the difference.

It certainly can happen in 20 something year old video games.

Tecmo Super Bowl and Tecmo Bowl have many things that are banned in most leagues as they make playing the game less fun for MOST people.

Maybe you could adapt and run every play out of the Shotgun to avoid the NT lunge in TSB, but MOST agree it is more fun and fair just not to allow the use of a DL as human controlled.

Most RBI Baseball leagues I know of play straight pitch, again you could adapt, practice, etc... and get better at hitting and or pitching, but long 1-0 Video baseball games are less fun to MOST people than the fast paced fun of straight pitch RBI baseball.

I have no skin in this game and I actually enjoy the following the comedy/drama of this community, but I have been playing these games with friends and having fun for years and we don't do what we consider glitches and cheats, because it makes it more fun and balanced to play.

We also give weaker players better teams and better players bad teams. Kinda like that thing golfers thought up years ago called a handicap to make it more fun for better players to play against weaker and less experienced players.

I agree in a way, but if you find a way to score, like EA say, it's in the game.

The better way to avoid "cheating" is to patch the game.

By the way I have a question about cheating :

I see that there is a special emulator for Tecmo Bowl to avoid online cheating, apparently some guys have managed to transform the rom for having better players skills attribute in the online play.

Are we sure that our online play are clean from rom transformation ?

Because sometime I have this feeling when I play against some players.

Maybe it's just my imagination.

I just want to be sure.

Edited by Pearate

The anti-cheat emulator used with Tecmo Super Bowl:

#1 prevents your opponent and you from being able to steal play calls.

#2 prevents the use of the turbo button to win grapples.

That is all it does.

All the glitches and cheats have to be handled with rules.

Here are some examples.

Tecmo Bowl Game Play Rules:
Tecmo Bowl has a few glitches and rightfully so considering the age of the game.
Over the years we came up with a few rules to enhance the competition in 2 player mode.

1. No gaining yards when the defense picks the same play as the offense. It would be far too easy for a good player to just throw quick slants to covered receivers all the way down field on play-picks & score most every time they have the ball. That's like using the nose tackle dive in Tecmo Super Bowl. It's pointless to play the game that way.
  2. 1 Quarterback run per quarter. This rule brings the pass coverage schemes foundhere to the forefront & also goes a long ways to differentiating the various playbooks. This rule really cranks up the strategic element involved with Tecmo Bowl.
  3. No quarterback runs on 4th down, or inside the 5 yardline. Makes the offense out-call or out execute the defense if they are going to convert 4th down, & gives the defense a shot to actually have a goal line stand once in a awhile.
  4. Linebacker position can only be used for trying to block field goals. This rule allows for field goals to be a big part of the game. Otherwise it's touchdowns or nothing in most games. Obviously, Lawrence Taylor & the Giants defense is a huge benefactor with this rule. The Colt's Duane Bickett is pretty good here too.
  5. Any player can be used to try blocking the extra point. This adds a wild card factor to games
These few little tweaks we made for the gameplay really improved
our overall experience of playing Tecmo Bowl.
For Tecmo Super Bowl

4.No Using the 4th man down on FG and XP.

5.Onside kicks are allowed under the following conditions: A team can never onside when in the lead. If game is tied or team is trailing onsides are legal. If a leading team accidentally kicks onsides and recovers, they must punt to the endzone (as to avoid a fumble on a punt return). This is essentially the rule used by most other leagues. 6.Please say GL and GG. Those stand for Good Luck and Good Game.

7.Using the Defensive Linemen is not allowed. No lurching.

12.Here is a breakdown of who can play what positions: QBs can only play QB. RBs can play RB, WR, TE. WRs can play RB, WR, TE, but they may never run the ball from the running back position. TEs may play RB, WR, TE, but they may never run the ball from the running back position. Offensive linemen can only play OL; centers, guards, and tackles are interchangeable.

13.Defensive Lineman can only play DL. Linebackers can only play LB. Cornerbacks can play CB, S. Safeties can play S, CB. Kickers and punter can only play kicker and punter, respectively.

shut upppppppppppppppppppp hokkke, jesusssssssssssssss fkn

the fact that tsb has so many of those little things that make the game unfair just proves my theory that tecmo super bowl is not that great of a game.

and straight pitch RBI baseball just sounds like home run derby to me.

you make the games less fun when you start putting restrictions on what you can and cannot do, it takes the creativity out of playing.

Edited by donnybrook

This is taken straight from the dee-nee site....

Why straight pitch? There's no skill in that!

To be honest, we play straight pitch because that is the way we have always played RBI. There are tons of homemade rules people create in RBI that seem just as silly. As far as the lack of skill/realism arguments go, they seem just as silly to me. This is a 15-year-old Nintendo game with half-sized rosters, VERY limited gameplay, erroneous stats, and unrealistic player abilities. If you want a realistic game, play something made in the last year. If you want the most skillful game, play chess. Everyone who still plays RBI does it to have fun, because it's the most enjoyable two player game ever made. And trust me, NOBODY has more fun playing RBI Baseball than we do. So if you get the most enjoyment out of curved-based RBI, then that's great. We personally prefer the high-scoring, straight-throwing, hard drinking style of RBI. Different strokes for different folks...

What are the different rules people play by?

It is truly amazing how many extra rules people apply to RBI. Although there is really no such thing as "RBI Factions", the playing styles can basically be divided between two groups: curve-thowers and straight-pitch-only. The styles are completely different and it's very difficult to be proficient in both styles. Here are some other goofy rules:

• The pitcher cannot move on the mound
  • You cannot use two starting pitchers in the same game
  • You can only change pitchers once
  • Slowballs are forbidden with 2 strikes
  • You can only throw one slowball per inning
  • No resetting the Nintendo between games
  • No using All-Stars teams in "official" games
  • No intentional walks allowed
  • Teams must be picked randomly
  • No double-steals with a runner on 1st & 3rd
  • Infield fly rule enforced
  • You must pitch strikes when the pitcher is batting
  • One base on computer overthrows
  • Games are official from the (1-8)th inning on if the NES dies
  • Intentionally fouling off pitches is forbidden
  • The batter must set in the box before you can throw
  • If you throw a ball to the pitcher, you must throw 2 balls to the next batter
  • If you throw a ball to the batter, your next pitch must be right down the middle
  • You can throw curves, but they must be strikes - see Slurve
  • Anything goes pitching, except no slowballs.
  • If a pitcher hits a flyball past the infield stripe, it is a home run
  • If you try to steal a base, you have to commit to the steal - no running back to the base.

If you have any additional rules, please E-Mail me. As far as our rules go, we play straight-pitch-only. We also do not allow 2 strike slowballs (partially due to the fact we never have the volume on when we play, always the stereo), official games from the 5th inning on, and no All-Stars in official play. Not for everyone, but to each their own..

Edited by CoachMac

Yeah, this is their crazy drinking game. These guys don't play online or in leagues. They use to call the online section of their forums the child boards. They have now totally eliminated the online section. Now you can find leagues at www.rbibaseball.us

hhahaha I laugh a little every time Fenty Fango Bingo Bango's my net right off. He uses it strategically and is damn good at it so why not let him. I know when im up against him I've got to keep a man back and abuse timers.

Some coaches have different techniques and its fun

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't made good on it, but the idea of a "one-timer" league that only counts one-timer goals would eliminate a lot of the so-called glitch goals.

Add in line changes AND offsides and you welcome a slower paced hockey experience. This makes defending easier and as the game is slower paced with less breakaways also less pass shot abuses as they're hard to do when other guys are high in the offensive area too. Many times the game goes to chess of looking for openings for onetimers or just slapshots. That's how we played in Finland for years. That's the default in NHL Hockey (PC version of NHL94) vs Sega Genesis/SNES more arcade stylish default rules which we enforce here naturally as we play on a gens emulator. You could try it with some guys and see if you like that, I could be in for such a league with default physics.

Add in line changes AND offsides and you welcome a slower paced hockey experience. This makes defending easier and as the game is slower paced with less breakaways also less pass shot abuses as they're hard to do when other guys are high in the offensive area too. Many times the game goes to chess of looking for openings for onetimers or just slapshots. That's how we played in Finland for years. That's the default in NHL Hockey (PC version of NHL94) vs Sega Genesis/SNES more arcade stylish default rules which we enforce here naturally as we play on a gens emulator. You could try it with some guys and see if you like that, I could be in for such a league with default physics.

Ya it's always a refreshing change to the run and gun checkfest of our normal leagues. Tho i think endurance needs to be dropped a bit to force regular line changes.

It's def more of a thinking mans game. First league i played in with LC and offsides was Swos pseudo Finlandia Cup. Sucked because all of the Fins boycotted the league for whatever reason.

Ya it's always a refreshing change to the run and gun checkfest of our normal leagues. Tho i think endurance needs to be dropped a bit to force regular line changes.

It's def more of a thinking mans game. First league i played in with LC and offsides was Swos pseudo Finlandia Cup. Sucked because all of the Fins boycotted the league for whatever reason.

Some of the Finnish guys are planning a small cup at the moment, if they are up for it maybe they could welcome a few NA guys there too to try it out, some do resist the idea of playing with high pings though but maybe with those players there could be a work around like server-client. Not sure of the rosters though yet, no discussion about that one. Just an idea, which would need to be discussed and signups are going on, no due date for that yet. We're 5 now and looking for 8-10 maybe.

+ heard about that league too, was inactive myself then, which I had thought of the whole community as of then too, maybe in the future!

Edited by Depch