NHL'94 Forums

Plabax on being Banned from Classic:

TomKabs93

I agree that those pics are amazing. And I'd also love to see him, TK, & AJ back in the mix. Doesn't seem like it will ever happen though. Maybe s**t talking is the only hope to entice them back. Who knows, TK would probably be just an average player now, with all those years off.

Yes Raph, pass-shot was around when he was around, but from what I've seen, the capacity & proficiency of use that it is these days is much greater.

Edited by Uncle Seth

I agree that those pics are amazing. And I'd also love to see him, TK, & AJ back in the mix. Doesn't seem like it will ever happen though.

Get me a job where you live and I'll gladly move :)

So to date Playtex has quit 3 leagues at least correct? Classic, GDL & Blitz..

There's no way this is just a Raph vs Playtex issue. Playtex actually likes to drive new players away from the community by beating them 15-1 and then harassing them about it. He's bragged to me about it before on AIM. I'm sure if he could reply to this (ahh look at my sad face) he would come up with some crazy argument why the world is against him etc.. and this is just the internet so nothing that you say counts.... look at me look at me look at me I need more attention bs

Good riddance

Some people really don't like to lose :rolleyes:

Beating new players 15-1 should inspire them. He's one of the best players in the game, nobody (especially new players) should expect to beat him. I remember my first exi against Sebe, the first shift or so he did a spinorama over my blueline and my heart jumped with joy. It should light a fire under people to lose to good players, makes them realize that this game is worth putting time into.

Besides, my recent poll says that the vast majority of members don't like people taking their foot off the gas ;)

Sandman, you're mad that somebody wants to exi often??? That's a blessing not a curse. This community is small but mighty, don't be mad that somebody wants to play :wacko:

Beating new players 15-1 should inspire them. He's one of the best players in the game, nobody (especially new players) should expect to beat him. I remember my first exi against Sebe, the first shift or so he did a spinorama over my blueline and my heart jumped with joy. It should light a fire under people to lose to good players, makes them realize that this game is worth putting time into.

Besides, my recent poll says that the vast majority of members don't like people taking their foot off the gas ;)

Sandman, you're mad that somebody wants to exi often??? That's a blessing not a curse. This community is small but mighty, don't be mad that somebody wants to play :wacko:

Failure to recognise other people's motives for playing is a big part of the problem. A noob turns up, gets spanked 15-1 by Plabax & may well think "Wow. I wanna learn the stuff he's doing", but others may react by thinking "Man I really suck. Not gonna waste my time with this".

Everyone's different but some people think their opinion that "Beating new players 15-1 should inspire them" is the only option. Fortunately it's not. Most noobs need to be eased in gradually so it's an enjoyable experience & a slow learning curve. Getting a measure of success early on is just as important to learning & gaining confidence as watching a one-trick pony score 15 pass shots past you. Playing at your level & winning as many as you lose is vital to make for an enjoyable experience & getting noobs to stick around & become good players & valuable community members. That's how the community will grow.

Fortunately the way A league has died seems to have switched the focus to fun & people being committed & playing their games. Being the best player in the world means nothing now if you never get online & play. Add to that someone taunting you & telling you how crap everyone is when you've just turned up for a test game & it's pretty obvious why the community has struggled the past year.

I think the new classic format & new focus on playing & having fun instead of whining about skill level & whether people are good players or not is exactly what was needed. Hopefully a new era is beginning.

I think if you look at the progress that NHL14 & NHL15 have made in their game, it's the "quiet" reason things have slowed down.

There was a solid pack of guys that were playing video games & being in college type thing as well. Those type of gamers don't always stay "gamers", as job/family start to pull away those hours of availability.

To me, a small set of A guys did definitely seem to have a negative impact. To what extent that lead to A leagues going dormant, I couldn't speculate. You'd have to actually ask those no shows why they signed up & didn't play. I mean, you've been on a site for years, sign up for a league, and then don't play the games when it's time.

I mentally have a hard time blaming SWOS, Frey, BOK, Zalex, Houly, dicon & Co lack of gaming on Plabax. The new blood has been fairly steady, but the lack of outlets for it w/ Classic Spring getting cancelled to me last year was the biggest loss to that "site growth", and the league was cancelled because A wasn't getting played, imo.

Edited by Brutus

Not a fan of Plabax, and don't believe he should be in a league he quit, and you don't really need to chase the "bad" apple to have a "true" champion, because he can't make it a full season drama free.

To me, I look at HOW long A takes to get their playoffs in, or how long between start of season and actual "start" of being able to play your games as the biggest faults. It ruins the fun to not finish a season & shortly after crown a champ.

It ruins a draft to not play right away. So, the mentality of allowing non-forfeit playoffs to make sure you get the "right" champion, or the idea you need to have a great looking site before you can play the league type things.

No league is fun w/ those delays, and I think those A guys found other entertainment in the mean time. I could be wrong.

and the league was cancelled because A wasn't getting played, imo.

FYI, the decision to cancel Spring classic was solely to give Chaos and Halifax (and myself) a break. Lots happening in real life and running Classic multiple times a year for 10 years or whatever can take it's toll.

Raph, catch you on that. Not pointing a finger in a bad way.

But Robby eludes to Plabax killing off the new blood. It was the cancelling (understandably so) of Spring that cancels the new sign ups for that period.

Again, not a fan of Plabax, but I don't think pointing fingers at him for issues that aren't his helps anything.

PS On a side note, everyone figure out a time of the year we want to try to have a LIVE TOURNEY!!!

I think Chicago is a great middle ground, easy to get to airport type setup.

I'm qualified to find a bar or convention type setup if we get enough names & interest & maybe even grab a sponsor.

I wasn't saying Plabax was responsable for the death of 94. lol

I was using the example Tomkabs put forward of how someone turning up for a test game, getting smashed by a vet & possibly hearing a bunch of negative comments wouldn't motivate too many to continue afterwards. On the other hand, picking a horrible team for a test game & not making weight bug or positional changes (I always used to go with NYI) would give a noob a more competitive game. If you can be a nice guy while you're doing it & encourage them I would imagine it would probably be the more fruitful tactic.

Huh ok point taken. Everyone is different I guess. I have a hard time believing that he harasses new players lol, but the rest of your argument makes sense Robbie

And Brutus, I think a live tourney in toronto is a better idea :exciting:

Edited by TomKabs93

So to date Playtex has quit 3 leagues at least correct? Classic, GDL & Blitz..

There's no way this is just a Raph vs Playtex issue. Playtex actually likes to drive new players away from the community by beating them 15-1 and then harassing them about it. He's bragged to me about it before on AIM. I'm sure if he could reply to this (ahh look at my sad face) he would come up with some crazy argument why the world is against him etc.. and this is just the internet so nothing that you say counts.... look at me look at me look at me I need more attention bs

Good riddance

No need to harass people (if that's been the case) or telling them that they suck. It's not only lack of sportmanship, it's lack of social skills.

Failure to recognise other people's motives for playing is a big part of the problem. A noob turns up, gets spanked 15-1 by Plabax & may well think "Wow. I wanna learn the stuff he's doing", but others may react by thinking "Man I really suck. Not gonna waste my time with this".

Everyone's different but some people think their opinion that "Beating new players 15-1 should inspire them" is the only option. Fortunately it's not. Most noobs need to be eased in gradually so it's an enjoyable experience & a slow learning curve. Getting a measure of success early on is just as important to learning & gaining confidence as watching a one-trick pony score 15 pass shots past you. Playing at your level & winning as many as you lose is vital to make for an enjoyable experience & getting noobs to stick around & become good players & valuable community members. That's how the community will grow.

Fortunately the way A league has died seems to have switched the focus to fun & people being committed & playing their games. Being the best player in the world means nothing now if you never get online & play. Add to that someone taunting you & telling you how crap everyone is when you've just turned up for a test game & it's pretty obvious why the community has struggled the past year.

I think the new classic format & new focus on playing & having fun instead of whining about skill level & whether people are good players or not is exactly what was needed. Hopefully a new era is beginning.

Just an FYI I just started playing games online a week ago today, and played multiple times with playbax, and yes he beat me every game, but one (I think he felt bad for me, and I had Chicago), and handily, but was nothing but complimentary in my play, and encouraging, and there was some serious beat downs. Now IDK if he is being extremely sarcastic, and playing with me about not sucking, but he has not taunted, or belittled me once (again if he wasn't being sarcastic).

Figured I would give a newbie's first, first hand account recently with playbax, carry on.

Just an FYI I just started playing games online a week ago today, and played multiple times with playbax, and yes he beat me every game, but one (I think he felt bad for me, and I had Chicago), and handily, but was nothing but complimentary in my play, and encouraging, and there was some serious beat downs. Now IDK if he is being extremely sarcastic, and playing with me about not sucking, but he has not taunted, or belittled me once (again if he wasn't being sarcastic).

Figured I would give a newbie's first, first hand account recently with playbax, carry on.

He was probably being polite because so few people will play with him, let alone unblock him on AIM.

There are many issues concerning plabax, mostly his forum and league conduct.

In my opinion there are no places for coaches like plabax in 94 online leagues.

Thank you Lupz! It's nice to see a new player's honest, unbiased opinion. I was thinking today that if people are mad or discouraged after getting destroyed in one of their first online games, then the community is better off without them.

And Kupuck, there's like 50 people who play 94 online, and you want to shrink that even more? You and a select few others around here have a serious hatred for plabax that twists his community image in a horrible way. My guess is that you and the rest of the anti plabax movement are just like these so called harassed new players. Deep down you really hate plabax because you're still salty from some rough losses to him.

Yeah, he's not a saint, but he's not Satan either. I think the community really needs people like him who actually want to play everyday. He can be a bit of a troll sometimes but you gotta take the good with the bad. It doesn't matter if players are good or bad, it's just better to have more people in the community. Banning people left and right is baaaad for the 94 lifeline

Plabax is the only person I know of in the years I've been here who got himself banned multiple times. Just because he's a good player isn't an excuse for his terrible behavior (too much to list) and trolling.

So nobody is "banned left and right" around here. If Plabax was a terrible player, there would not be one word spoken about him. That shouldn't be the issue.

The community is just fine without him. Nobody wants immature jerks around here.

Thank you Lupz! It's nice to see a new player's honest, unbiased opinion. I was thinking today that if people are mad or discouraged after getting destroyed in one of their first online games, then the community is better off without them.

And Kupuck, there's like 50 people who play 94 online, and you want to shrink that even more? You and a select few others around here have a serious hatred for plabax that twists his community image in a horrible way. My guess is that you and the rest of the anti plabax movement are just like these so called harassed new players. Deep down you really hate plabax because you're still salty from some rough losses to him.

Yeah, he's not a saint, but he's not Satan either. I think the community really needs people like him who actually want to play everyday. He can be a bit of a troll sometimes but you gotta take the good with the bad. It doesn't matter if players are good or bad, it's just better to have more people in the community. Banning people left and right is baaaad for the 94 lifeline

As opposed to the opinion of an inactive coach who was only around 6-7 months who hasn't had to deal with his crap.

It is no fun for admins to have to hear complaints about other coaches. What is fun is using the little time and energy we dedicate to running leagues to making an enjoyable experience for everyone.

I have taken PLENTY big losses and stuck around through many years of this community, if it bothered me I wouldn't have signed up after the first classic.

If l had vendetta's against people for losing I'd be saying ban everyone from this site and their wouldn't be a single coach in TDL. Because I'm sure everyone that plays in our leagues has at least beaten me once by a 5+ goal margin.

That's pretty low of you to assume about those of us who have serious issues with allowing him to play. It's easy for you to talk us down and take a stance because you won't be playing.

Edited by kupuck19