NHL'94 Forums

SNES 2v2 - The Beginning

kingraph

Dear SNES Buds,

For quite some time, the GENS folks have been playing a 2v2 version of '94 in which 4 players join and play a modified ROM that has 2 players on each team plus the goalie. It's incredibly fun, and addictive as DRUGS.

Anyway, the time has come for SNES folks to do the same. I don't know if the 2v2 game will merit the same addictiveness and fun as the GENS version, but it's time we try!

You need to use the SNES9k emulator and this modified ROM: NHL94_2v2.smc

SNES 2v2 ROM:

• 2 players on ice and goalie.
  • All players attributes set to 85.
  • All players weight set to 196.
  • Teams strengths (home/away, pp/pk, and offense/defense) all set to moderate.
  • ROM header title changed to {{{NHL'94 2v2}}}

The SNES9k Emulator:

Download here: http://www.remz.ca/main/retro-games/snes-netplay-tutorial/

Once you download and set up the emulator, make sure to enable Multitap 5. Not having this set by ALL players resulted in a crash when starting the game.

multitap.png

Next, go to File --> Play Kaillera Game

Set:

Change Mode: 2.Client

Connection Setting: Excellent (30packets/s)

Nick: Your forum name (or whatever)

Then click the "Master Server List" to find a server close to you (lowest ping), or equal distances from all 4 players.

kaillera2.png

Once you find a room, let the other 3 buds know the IP. They can click "Custom IP" and type the IP in to join.

In the server room, right click on the bottom and you'll be able to start a game. This will be called {{{NHL'94 2v2}}}.

kaillera3.jpg
The other 3 guys should join and then you click start game.

Many thanks to Northway Native and Clockwise for helping to figure this out last night!

I encourage you all to try this and report back and issues, bugs, revelry, chaos, etc.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Couple of differences I've noticed in 2on2 between SNES and Gens: 

• Framerate seems higher in SNES 2on2, as compared to SNES 5on5. I've noticed this on an actual SNES with my Super Everdrive as well.
  • You can speed burst out of control quickly by just spamming it. In Gens, you have to get checked really hard into the boards to lose control of your skater so that they can speed burst super fast.
  • Floater goals are very rare to come by.
  • Flying burrito saves don't work well at all, unless they're done across the goal line. 
  • Penalty shots happen even with penalties off. Not sure how I feel about it, but I wish we could toggle it on / off.

Having a lot of fun with SNES 2on2 so far.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, clockwise said:

Couple of differences I've noticed in 2on2 between SNES and Gens: 

• Framerate seems higher in SNES 2on2, as compared to SNES 5on5. I've noticed this on an actual SNES with my Super Everdrive as well.

If that is the case, I wonder if something like this could be used to get a better 5on5 game

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/08/blast-processing-in-2019-how-an-snes-emulator-solved-overclocking/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smozoma said:

If that is the case, I wonder if something like this could be used to get a better 5on5 game

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/08/blast-processing-in-2019-how-an-snes-emulator-solved-overclocking/

That's amazing!  I didn't know SNES was infamous for framerate slowdown, but that sure does explain the choppy feel of the 5v5 game.

Don't know how I forgot a major, major one:

• In Gens you press pass, or 'B' to get up. in SNES you press 'hook' to get up. Or, move-thumb-over-to-that side-that-the-d-pad-is-on, button.

One thing I do like about the sega rom is that all players are rated even and they’ve given some names for top players in the teams history. Snes just has the regular rom modified for 2v2. So Anaheim and fla still suck. I’ll  see if I can get the snes editing software working on my Mac to get that fixed. 

16 minutes ago, halifax said:

One thing I do like about the sega rom is that all players are rated even and they’ve given some names for top players in the teams history. Snes just has the regular rom modified for 2v2. So Anaheim and fla still suck. I’ll  see if I can get the snes editing software working on my Mac to get that fixed. 

easy to fix with a hex editor. find Muller and copy his attributes for everyone so they're all 72s

34 minutes ago, smozoma said:

easy to fix with a hex editor. find Muller and copy his attributes for everyone so they're all 72s

I understand stattos editor. That’s about it bud 

5 hours ago, halifax said:

Literally made this ROM in this thread, lol.  Please check original post and let's see if it works in RA

20 minutes ago, kingraph said:

Literally made this ROM in this thread, lol.  Please check original post and let's see if it works in RA

lol je suis idiot. @chaos can you swap out the other  2v2 rom for this one in the retro arch package? This one is way better with all player stats boosted.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, halifax said:

lol je suis idiot. @chaos can you swap out the other  2v2 rom for this one in the retro arch package? This one is way better with all player stats boosted.

Everyone in this ROM is 100 rated. And hot/cold is on, so their stats vary

.Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 8.11.21 AM.png

32 minutes ago, chaos said:

Everyone in this ROM is 100 rated. And hot/cold is on, so their stats vary

.Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 8.11.21 AM.png

Yes. It makes it 10 times more fun and interesting than not being able to use the lower rated teams because those guys are too slow. :D

The intent was to make everyone a "4", or 85, like gens 2v2.  I didn't think this would be considered boosted?  Basically a bunch of Brian Bellows or Steve Larmers with lighter weight.  

I don't think anyone has hacked SNES to turn off the hot/cold?

3 hours ago, kingraph said:

The intent was to make everyone a "4", or 85, like gens 2v2.  I didn't think this would be considered boosted?  Basically a bunch of Brian Bellows or Steve Larmers with lighter weight.  

I don't think anyone has hacked SNES to turn off the hot/cold?

Yeah I guess the hot/cold variation won't make too much of a difference. Though how is a guy like Makarov get a 97 if he's supposed to be 4? There are other examples of attributes being close to 99, I just took this one screenshot.