NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94 2on2

Freydey

NHL 94 2 ON 2

First of all, a brief history. As far as I know, I believe I, and my mofapes squad, have been the most dedicated 2on2 players in the past couple of years. All together, we have shared our great passion for completing astonishing 2 timers, tremendous net crashons, heartbreaking shattered glasses, and tons of other wacks stuff. For the newcomers or just the ignorant, 2on2 defines here a NHL94 game modified rom, with only 2 players on each side, made up so that you only control the same 94 player, when 4 coaches are involved.

I’ve been a dedicated 2on2er since my arrival in 94, Christmas 2007. My 1st 2on2 game was played with some fellow Canadians comrades: HABS, SEBE and Elio. However, the universe of 2on2 has been alive far before my arrival in the 94 world. It was at first created by one of the pillar in this community, Clockwise (jesusplaysNHL94), who wanted to share his passion for the 2on2 way of the 94, way back in 2005. Of course, all the top guns of the time followed him in his frenzy: HABS, EA, Vocally Caged, Thegr8199, etc. Even Evan showed up for some 2on2 action in Habs’ first tourney

All thought, there has been many 2on2 exhis before the setting up of online leagues. That being said, 2on2 was actually one of the first of many online leagues set up via nhl94.com, it came out about the same time as the classic GDL league. The first official season has been set up on the forums, the stats reported eventually on the 2on2.org website. Sadly, leagues organizers rapidly discovered one tought reality of the 2on2 universe: the difficulty of scheduling games including 4 mofapes. The project of this official 2on2 league died somewhere in 2008, when Ga was an emergent trend on the 94 boards.

Many more attempts have been made during the following years, some by me (2on2 Winter classics), some by HABS (2on2 summit series), some by Kupuck (2on2 pond league) each sharing their shares of success and failures. All these league attempts led to the one same conclusion, 2on2 leagues needs of course really dedicated players and more importantly a very dedicated commissioner to discipline the coaches. However, the lack of success of setting up online leagues didn’t impaired our passion for the games. Au contraire, it made us all realize how precious 2on2 games are, how great and how unique they can get, but in order to let this great project live, we need more souls!

Why every new 94 coach should try 2on2?

• Playing 2on2 will make you a better player, this is proven with recent studies yet to be published. The fact of controlling only one player accentuates your defensive responsibilities. Henceforth, this aspect of the game will instantly reflect in your traditional 5on5 nhl94 games.
  • Hockey is a team sport. 2on2 is the way nhl94 was meant to be played. There is nothing better than doing a nice passing play and finishing your opponent with a perfect one timer.
  • 2on2 creates awesomeness. Proof? There there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm-0QOtaytM
  • Many stuff that don't usually happen in traditionnal games happens in 2on2 (TRUE STORY)
  • 2on2 will make you a better human being.
  • 2on2 will spice up your sex life, Ask Hokkefan.
  • Very important point: it’s freakish fun, it’s like a drug. You need to try it, like at least once, but beware, it can be dangerous :D

Christmas has come way before his time this year, Jesus’ return to 94 rang the 2on2 bells, calling his faithful to exercise the 2on2 religion once again. However, we need more souls, so I encourage everyone in this community to at least try it out. It’s also time to demolish the cleavages and break the wall between the SNES and GENS players. Recently, Kingraph had made 2on2 possible on the SNES as well, taking 2on2 to another level. Both GENS and SNES versions are really easy to set up so I encourage everyone to ask the following gas to play some games. Those simple words will make the world a better place, just ask us, we shall: 2 ON 2

Official 2on2 footage

2on2 payer list:

Freydey32

Jesusplaysnhl94

Zalex1414

canadiensfan66

KingRaph

donnybrook94

Icestormnhl94

Kupucknhl94

beefjerkyrule6

lupz27@gmail.com

minpind

philiveyismyhero

Vocally Caged

labs21_32 at yahoo.com

fromdacradle2dagrave at yahoo.com

Probob38
Gretzkyonacold

dcicon5148

2on2 official rom:

Edited by Freydey

2on2 is hella fun but 1on1 is better. Also I think 2on2 is harmful for your 1on1 skills because it makes you b check less. (of course it's because penalties are off and that nerfs b checks badly for whatever reason).

Is it a coincidence that arguably the best b checkers are non 2on2 fiends? I think not

All in all: 2on2 IS GREAT BUT DON'T FORGET TO B CHECK IN 1on1, ALSO B CHECK MORE BECAUSE IT'S STUPID GOOD

Some quick beginner tips for GENS 2on2:

• Since there is no other player to change to, pressing "B" when you get knocked down will instantly make the player get up!
  • The players are set to all the same weight and attributes. This makes regular "C" checking highly ineffective, best to poke check.
  • If you are the C, try to win your faceoff to your winger by holding the d-pad towards him!
  • If you are the LW, press "B" during faceoffs so you can reach out with your stick when the puck drops and help control the puck.
    • This is my personal preference, but do NOT press "C" and and clog up the faceoff circle. I find it's not very effective and you're more likely to disrupt your partner more than help him.
  • If you lose the faceoff as the LW, it would be wise to fall back on defense and cover your opponents LW. Your opponent can get by you quickly after a faceoff win for a semi-breakaway at the goal.
  • The C is also the default manual goalie when the puck arrives. Keep that in mind.
  • If one person is better at GC than the other, they should be the one who mainly uses GC.
    • If your opponents get a quick 2 on 1 breakway, the person who was out of the play should switch to GC, regardless of who is the main GC! It's always best to have a live person playing D.
  • If you get body checked down, for whatever reason your player won't be able to take control of the puck for about 2-3 seconds. Try to hover around and keep your opponents away.
  • Positioning is key. I don't recommend beginners chase your opponents around. Since it's nearly impossible to C check, and difficult to line-up a b-check, you are more likely to miss your opponent than knock him down/steal the puck. I'm talking about open ice...if he's near the boards, SLAM HIM. Again, speed bursting in 2on2 is not as important as maintaining control.
  • Clogging up the middle with you and your partner is a great basic defensive strategy.

2on2 is wildy fun, especially when you develop some chemistry with your partner. I hope you all try to play at least once, cheers!

The C checking whore that I am usually would end up with a sore joystick thumb after playing 2 on 2, as I'm like a rabid dog chasing my tail, and just can't stop!!!

I do think that playing 2v2 definitely develops your offense w/ pass shots & the like.

I used to play from time to time, but around the time you queers started playing Hexball, I stopped checking in on it :)

2on2 is hella fun but 1on1 is better. Also I think 2on2 is harmful for your 1on1 skills because it makes you b check less. (of course it's because penalties are off and that nerfs b checks badly for whatever reason).

Is it a coincidence that arguably the best b checkers are non 2on2 fiends? I think not

All in all: 2on2 IS GREAT BUT DON'T FORGET TO B CHECK IN 1on1, ALSO B CHECK MORE BECAUSE IT'S STUPID GOOD

I don't think it's harmful...you fall back into 5v5 mode quickly. I actually think it helps you understand player movements and abilities more.

The C checking whore that I am usually would end up with a sore joystick thumb after playing 2 on 2, as I'm like a rabid dog chasing my tail, and just can't stop!!!

I do think that playing 2v2 definitely develops your offense w/ pass shots & the like.

I used to play from time to time, but around the time you queers started playing Hexball, I stopped checking in on it :)

Pass shots are more frequent in this game, but I'm not sure it's because of the players or the game itself. Still, team chemistry reigns supreme. Lmao at the Haxball sentence.

Another tip for 2on2ers:

• Have a defensive zone face-off on the players bench side of the ice? pause to pull goalie!
  • Wait for goalie to skate into opposing team center, pause to put goalie back in!
  • Win faceoff!

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese! :lol:

I noticed a difference in several of the guys I was playing 5v5 last year after they had been playing 2v2.

Particularly on the break aways & witty upgraded the most.

Maybe those dudes were practicing on the side too, but is be stunned if those stoners ever practiced anything!

I credit their 2v2'ing.

Drop me on that list: hockeyboards@gmail.com

..also, if you have GC and make an errant pass - you are stuck being the goalie either until you get the puck back (make a save), or there is a face-off.

It's actually an errant pass that hits the ice boards.

This happens even on 5v5. If your goalie goes all goofy & passes the puck against the wall, you are stuck w/ him until a face off or you re-gain control of the puck.

For me, it's usually after I give up a goal, as you are stuck on the goalie, but not on the screen location.

• 3 weeks later...

there's actually more poke checks in 2on2 games because you can't switch players while pressing the B button.....

EH!

there's actually more poke checks in 2on2 games because you can't switch players while pressing the B button.....

EH!

SRRY shoulda said it makes you b check less BECAUSE it's useless compared to 1on1

Being unable to knock people down is good? F U and your 2on2

It wasn't really a tactic at all before 2on2. I mean, it's has always been used to check, but not to intercept the puck and create turnovers. I first started doing this to try and poke check pucks out of mid-air from goalies, to cut down on the home run pass after scoring chances when you get caught out of position.

Turned out that it has all sorts of uses. For instance, if a pass is just off the mark, it can be reeled in like a fishing rod, and passed in one motion. Players now know this and will head up ice if the puck is out of reach, in anticipation that their teammate will poke check and snatch the disk, and hit a streaking player for a breakaway pass or one timer.

Personally i think 2v2 helps hone your defensive positioning skills for 5v5. Also, i use it as a tool to sharpen my gc, drives some guys nuts how often i take gc in the game but thats my reason, plus its a blast.

I think i'm one of the better B checkers and play 2v2 quite a bit in spurts. Doesn't seem to impact my B checking tho, but thats just me. I'll be the outlier :)