NHL'94 Forums

SKILL CAP LEAGUE (SCL) ROSTER CUTTING

OK guys. We have 6 confirmed & counting. Attached is the Weight Bug Fixed Classic rom so you can start exhibition games with the new dynamic of the heavy players being more influential. Play some games with your selected team so you can get a feel for which players you want to keep for the season & which you're happy to release. YOU'LL BE SURPRISED AT PLAYERS WITH LOW OVERALL SCORES BUT WHO ARE VERY USEFUL WITH THE WEIGHT BUG FIX, SO DON'T TAKE YOUR SELECTIONS LIGHTLY.

You can find detailed stats on every player in the game at the Blitz website: http://blitz94.com/draftab/viewplayers.asp

The same information is also contained in an Excell file which you'll see on the Blitz website.

Probob will be joining me in the commissioner duties so you can hit him up for help too.

Basically this is how it works: You need to cut your roster to 6 forwards, 5 defenders & 2 goaltenders. Your selections are limited by the skill cap rules. You'll need to select the players that fit your desired style of play, or perhaps you'll be forced to make tough decisions in order to maintain team balance. In some cases you won't have much choice.

You have 4 options for selecting your roster:

1) "THE SICARIUS": 2 x Tier 1 players, 2 x Tier 2 players, 2 x Tier 3 players + Tier 4 players to complete the roster

or

2) "THE FREYDEY": 1 x Tier 1 players, 3 x Tier 2 players, 3 x Tier 3 players + Tier 4 players to complete the roster

or

3) "THE PLABAX": 0 x Tier 1 players, 4 x Tier 2 players, 4 x Tier 3 players + Tier 4 players to complete the roster

or

4) "THE KINGRAPH": 3 x Tier 1 players, 0 x Tier 2 players, 1 x Tier 3 players + Tier 4 players to complete the roster

Decide what suits your style, or your roster best. You'll notice below that Chicago posesses 4 Tier 1 players and only 1 Tier 2 player & 1 Tier 3 player, so option 4 might be the best for them. A team like Calgary which I used as a previous example posess no Tier 1 players but a bunch of Tier 2 & 3 players, so option 3 would likely be best for them.

You will also be influenced at this initial stage by the needs of the roster. You have to have 2 goalies, and right now there is no option to draft new players, so you have to accept what you've got. The Boston Bruins have two Tier 3 goalies............sorry TexasPachyDerm, you gotta take em both until the first trade/draft window so that's 2 Tier 3 spots used up straight away.

Special exceptions: If enough players are not available in a specific tier you can select an extra player from the tier below, so Boston for example only have 1 player in Tier 2. If TexasPachyDerm selects option 1 to structure his roster he can select 1 x Tier 2 players & 3 x Tier 3 players rather than 2 x Tier 2 players & 2 x Tier 3 players.

All the rosters of the selected teams are below, along with the player tierings. Make your selections & post them below & Probob & I will check to make sure it all fits into the system.

LABS 66: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

Tier 1 players: Lemieux, Jagr, Barrasso

Tier 2 players: Kevin Stevens, Larry Murphy, Ulf Samuelsson

Tier 3 players: Ron Francis, Kjell Samuelsson

Tier 4 players: Mullen, Tocchet, Stanton, McEachern, Taglianetti, Straka, Loney, Tippett, Stapleton, Needham, Daniels, Caulfield, Ramsey, Paek, Jennings, Fogarty, Wregget

DARKO99: DETROIT REDWINGS

Tier 1 players: Yzerman, Ciccarelli, Coffey

Tier 2 players: Fedorov, Cheveldae

Tier 3 players: Chiasson, Ysebaert, Lidstrom

Tier 4 players: Drake, Ogrodnick, Probert, Racine, Konstantinov, Howe, Sheppard, Gallant, Primeau, Sillinger, Kozlov, Kennedy, Burr, Hiller, Konroyd, McCrimmon, Riendeau

TEXASPACHYDERM: BOSTON BRUINS

Tier 1 players: Oates, Neely, Bourque

Tier 2 players: Gord Murphy

Tier 3 players: Ruzicka, Glen Wesley, Don Sweeney, Moog, Blue, Featherston

Tier 4 players: Juneau, Kvartalnov, Poulin, Donato, Heinze, Douris, Leach, Pantaleyev, Reid, Young, Hughes, Kimble, Roberts, Shaw, Weimer

JAGR68: CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

Tier 1 players: Roenick, Smith, Belfour, Chelios

Tier 2 players: Larmer

Tier 3 players: Ruutu

Tier 4 players: Sutter, Murphy, Graham, Noonan, Goulet, Murray, Gilbert, Jocelyn Lemieux, Rob Brown, Christian, Matteau, Grimson, Marchment, Russell, Keith Brown, Muni, Kucera, Bennett, Waite

LUPZ27 - LA KINGS

Tier 1 players: Sandstrom, Blake

Tier 2 players: Carson, Gretzky, Robitaille, McSorley

Tier 3 players: Granato, Zhitnik

Tier 4 players: Kurri, Donnelly, Millen, Taylor, Loach, Conacher, Rychel, Shuchuk, Sydor, Huddy, Hardy, Thompson, Watters, Chapdelaine, Hrudey, Stauber, Knickle

SKIP - STILL TO CONFIRM TEAM SELECTION

Choose carefully because once the season starts you won't have the opportunity to change your roster until halfway through the season! Any questions, doubts or guidance required just post in this thread or contact me or Probob.

GLHF!

WBFClassic.bin

Edited by LA Robbie

My CPU is out of commission, going to have to select team based on knowledge, and some outsourced help.

Sandstrom, Blake,

Carson, Gretzky

Zhitnik, Granato

Kurri,

The 2 goalies ah Hrudey, and what's his name.

Will finish the rest of the roster once I look at the weights of specific players.

Tough choice to sit out Jagr but gotta go with "The Sicarius" to give me a good D pairing and since one of my Tier 1's is Barrasso.....sorry Yags.....rest up and maybe see you midseason

2T1 - Lemieux, Barrasso

2T2 - Stevens, Murphy

2T3 - Francis, K. Samuelsson

?T4 - Mullen, Tocchet, Caufield, Stanton, Taglianetti, Ramsey, Wregget

Forwards: Lemieux, Stevens, Francis, Mullen, Tocchet, Caufield

Defensemen: Murphy, K. Samuelsson, Stanton, Taglianetti, Ramsey

Goalies: Barrasso, Wregget

Edited by LABS_66

For Detroit

Tier1:Yzerman,Coffey(Sorry for Ciccarelli but prefer Yzerman)

Tier2:Fedorov,Chevaldae

Tier3:Ysebaert,Chiasson

Tier4:Primeau,Probert,Drake,McCrimmon,Konstantov,Racine,Riendeau

Edited by Darko99

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

Tier 1 players: Stevens

Tier 2 players: Richer,Kasatonov, Fetisov

Tier 3 players: C.Lemieux, Terreri

Tier 4 players: Statsny, Zelepukin, Holik, MacLean, Driver, Neidermayer, Billington

Edited by jer_33

New Jersey:

Tier 1: Stevens

Tier 2: Richer, Daneyko

Tier 3: Terreri, Fetisov, C.Lemieux

Tier 4: Billington, Niedermayer, Driver, Stastny, Holik, Zelepukin, MacLean

Interesting choice. Probably just enough to be competitive here but then lots of scope for making major improvements in the midseason trade/draft period. Welcome to the league jer!

Jer, I need to you to have a look at your roster please. Ive been through the Blitz Average Draft Positions & I make it that your roster is broken up as below. Ken Daneyko comes in at pick 239 on average so he wouldn't be a tier 2 player. Please select your roster again.

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

Tier 1 players: Scott Stevens

Tier 2 players: Stephane Richer,Kasatonov, Fetisov

Tier 3 players: Claude Lemieux, Terreri

Tier 4 players: Semak, Statsny, Zelepukin, Holik, MacLean, Nicholls, Barr, Pellerin, Guerin, Chorske, Ojanen, McKay, Mallette, Driver, Neidermayer, Albelin, Daneyko, O'Connor, Billington

UPDATED:

hopefully i did this right...

Tier 1 players: Neely, Bourque
Tier 3 players: Ruzicka, Moog, Blue
Tier 4 players: Juneau, Kvartalnov, Poulin, Donato, Roberts, Shaw, Weimer

Edited by TexasPachyderm

hopefully i did this right...

Tier 1 players: Neely, Bourque

Tier 3 players: Ruzicka, Moog, Blue

Tier 4 players: Kvartalnov, Poulin, Donato, Pantaleyev, Roberts, Shaw, Weimer

Looks good. Plabax pointed out that I left out Joe Juneau. Don't know if that affects your selections, but he's there now

Jer, I need to you to have a look at your roster please. Ive been through the Blitz Average Draft Positions & I make it that your roster is broken up as below. Ken Daneyko comes in at pick 239 on average so he wouldn't be a tier 2 player. Please select your roster again.

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

Tier 1 players: Scott Stevens

Tier 2 players: Stephane Richer,Kasatonov, Fetisov

Tier 3 players: Claude Lemieux, Terreri

Tier 4 players: Semak, Statsny, Zelepukin, Holik, MacLean, Nicholls, Barr, Pellerin, Guerin, Chorske, Ojanen, McKay, Mallette, Driver, Neidermayer, Albelin, Daneyko, O'Connor, Billington

Using the 2nd option you can actually keep all your tier 1, 2 & 3 players. I'm guessing you'd wanna do that?

Just need to decide which tier 4s you wanna cut

Redone, sorry for the mix-up.

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

Tier 1 players: Stevens

Tier 2 players: Richer,Kasatonov, Fetisov

Tier 3 players: C.Lemieux, Terreri

Tier 4 players: Statsny, Zelepukin, Holik, MacLean, Driver, Neidermayer, Billington

Edited by jer_33

When all rosters are in i'll post a new thread for starting lines & post an edited rom.

Jagr68 & Lupz27 just waiting for your cut rosters but dont panic, we have plenty of time.

Skip - I still need your team selection & then your cut roster. Confirm you're still interested please

My CPU is out of commission, going to have to select team based on knowledge, and some outsourced help.

Sandstrom, Blake,

Carson, Gretzky

Zhitnik, Granato

Kurri,

The 2 goalies ah Hrudey, and what's his name.

Will finish the rest of the roster once I look at the weights of specific players.

Ok got playing with Tex here is my official roster

Tier 1 Sandstrom

Tier 2 Carson, Gretzky, McSorley

Tier 3 Zhitnik, Granato

Tier 4 Kurri, Sydor, Huddy, Hardy, Donnelly, Hrudy, Stauber.

Edited by Lupz27

OK man, thanks for your patience and for giving me time to make up my mind on CHI or BUF -- as you know I am moving to BUF.

Tier One: Mogilny, Fuhr

Tier Two: LaFontaine

Tier Three: Hawerchuk, Smehlik

Tier Four: Svoboda, B. Sweeney, Khmylev, Bodger, Errey, Ledyard, Sutton, Hasek

Sc1

LW - LaFontaine

C - Mogilny

RW - Hawerchuk

LD - Smehlik

RD - Svoboda

G - Fuhr

X - Sweeney

Sc2

LW - Sweeney

C - LaFontaine

RW - Sweeney

LD - Bodger

RD - Bodger

G - Hasek

X - Khmylev

Let me know if I did that Line 2 logically. I feel like I'm missing the boat on that one all the while knowing why you've asked for it.

THX!

Edited by jagr68

• 2 weeks later...

Skip, here are the player tiers for the STL roster. Let me know your choices based on the instructions at the top of the post. Basically you don't need to drop anyone based on tier limitations which means you have an awesome team to which you can add tier 3 players in the 1st trade window. Very good choice!

ST. LOUIS BLUES

Tier 1:

Hull, Joseph

Tier 2:

Shanahan, Jeff Brown

Tier 3:

Tier 4:

Janney, Emerson, Kevin Miller, Butcher, Crossman, Quintal, Norwood, Zombo, Ron Sutter, Bassen, Wilson, Rich Sutter, Barron, Giles, Hedican, Lowry, Korolev, McRae, Bozon, Chase, Hebert

Coachmac, here is your EDM roster. Post your selected players here in the same thread please. Selection instructions at the top of the thread.

EDMONTON OILERS

TIER 1:

Klima, Manson

TIER 2:

Ranford

TIER 3:

Corson, Kravchuk, Richardson

TIER 4:

Simpson, Weight, Mactavish, Todd, Benning, Werenka, Glynn, Joseph, Smith, Ciger, Elik, Hudson, Mellanby, Gelinas, Buchberger, Podein, Rice, DeBrusk, Tugnutt

Edited by LA Robbie

EDMONTON OILERS

Line 1

LD Igor Kravchuk

RD Dave Manson

LW Craig Simpson

C Petr Klima

RW Shayne Corson

G Billy Ranford

X Craig MacTavish

Line 2

LD Brian Glynn

RD Geoff Smith

LW Martin Gelinas

C Craig MacTavish

RW Kelly Buchberger

X Petr Klima

EDMONTON OILERS

Line 1

LD Igor Kravchuk

RD Dave Manson

LW Craig Simpson

C Petr Klima

RW Shayne Corson

G Billy Ranford

X Craig MacTavish

Line 2

LD Brian Glynn

RD Geoff Smith

LW Martin Gelinas

C Craig MacTavish

RW Kelly Buchberger

X Petr Klima

In this thread I need your 6 forwards, 5 dmen & 2 goalies

Forwards: Klima, Corson, Simpson, MacTavish, Gelinas, Buchberger

Defense: Manson, Kravchuk, Glynn, Smith, Joseph

Goalies: Ranford and Tugnutt

Ok. Only thing id suggest is experiment with ur roster b4 confirming. U have no need to drop any of ur tiered players but uv left Richardson out. He has a low ovr but is actually v good after the wbf, thus his tier 3 draft position. Like I said u dont need to drop him & hes defo better than at least 3 of those uv selected

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, for Skip: New York Rangers roster tiering. If you don't like the look of this you can return to ST. Louis no problem. Instructions on roster structure at the top of the thread.

NEW YORK RANGERS

TIER 1 PLAYERS:

Messier, Gartner, Tikkanen,

TIER 2 PLAYERS:

Patrick, Leetch

TIER 3 PLAYERS:

Vanbiesbrouck, Richter

TIER 4 PLAYERS:

Nemchinov, Turcotte, Graves, Olcyk, Amonte Kovalev, Zubov, Andersson, Cirella, Beukeboom, Wells, Phil Bourque, Erixon, Steven King, Kocur, Paul Broten, Hartman,