NHL'94 Forums

GDL Draft help | excel/spreadsheet of players

Depch

I've been trying to search for an excel spreadsheet you could value your players as you'd like to get some lists done already. Anyone recall where that might be? Or was it used in Blitz draft? If so it could be modified to help people draft in GDL too and would nice to be somewhere you could easily find and search for it then too.

[i'll be editing below some important links]

GDL XII players list & macros for attributes:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10816388/GDL12%20Draft.xlsm

Previous draft results:

http://www.nflpickempool.net/GDLDraft/DraftResults.php

Earlier seasons:

http://nhl94.arkku.net/index2.php

Edited by Depch

In the thread http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/3154-list-maker-tool/ such a tool was described already, perhaps we could revive that unless someone has something more new. :)

I found an excel file from GDL 8 draft spreadsheet. I'm editing it a bit to include the goalie ratings so at least that will be of some help. Linking it soon. It just doesn't have any macros that would help you change overall to your liking by changing how much you value each attribute.

Heya,

posting this as an example of a draft list for D and G. Have not done anything to forwards yet, but this is just the idea for each to get their own list going on and this will propably be close to my ranking for them too. You can check the excel file below.

http://depch.webs.com/GDLXII.xls

If we get in to this I'll try to explain why I have valued each attribute as I have. For goalies it is kinda self explanatory. The only attributes I really credit myself are the sticks/gloves plus puckcontrol and agility. Puck control makes your goalie give in less pass shots from 5 hole for example, but has nothing to do with controlling rebounds well, that's evident with Roy too. The good value here is 4 and over which makes the tendency for those random goals less. Most important skills are the sticks & gloves for players who are not that good with manual goalie and also agility.

I drafted Belfour over Roy in Blitz9 this season just to test and speculate would higher sticks be better than higher gloves and see would a goaltender really make any difference in the A tier games. I've come to the conclusion that gloves are used more often than sticks, but this is just based on a hunch/feeling rather than anything evident. I did rank them both at 8 for each attribute as it remains just as a hunch. And no, I don't think a goaltender should be taken on the first round as all goalies will be suckage vs onetimers and certain abuse goals, some more than the others. This is just as a heads up for a player who thinks they could build a team around their goalie, but it will not be enough to compete in the A level when it could help you play in B well, but if the ultimate goal is to get to A you wouldn't want to base your game on this. But anyone is free to try like I did.

For the great manual goalies you would want a low weight goalie, but AI goalies that won't matter much. Low weight makes your control more responsive and it propably also affects agility as on players where agility I review as an important skill. The great manual goalies like Plabax & Freydey can get great numbers with any goalie, even with the poorest ones.

In the dream team tournament I set my goalie to weight 0 trying to make him as responsive as possible with agility 6, but using only speed 1 as I don't like my goalie to go too fast that I lose control and even as AI he's picking up some nice saves so I have review speed having very little effect in the goalie attributes. The same thing with the awareness skills, I see them having very little effect as my goalie in DTT has 0/0 awareneses. Some the offensive awareness might have something to do with passing with the goalie and that could be, I'm getting some nice passes out of Joseph who has a higher skill in offensive awareness than my DTT goalie. I won't review that very important though so it's not contributing to the overall as the main job is to be defensive anyways, for some it might be and you can add it up then.

What comes to the defencemen I have skipped off shotpower/accuracy completely as I review my d-men being responsible for D mainly. With defencemen I have reviewed agility more important than speed. Gotta be ready to make those fast turns and react to opposition well. Stickhandling I have a hunch is affecting on intercepting some passes and holding the puck in traffic, plus it makes you resistant to b-checks, which does require 5+ for being able to hold on the puck while being checked, it's one of the more important attributes to me. Getting those opening passes out well as a D is also important for me to get the offence going on fast.

I was being kinda cautious with the weight myself. This should be altered how a player plays the game how much value does it decrease. A player who is not good at C/B or B-check should have a very high effect on weight and priorize getting lower weight players as that C-check will get you going on defence. But for more experienced players who know B&C it's around how I would rate them now I'd see. If you're adept with C/B too I don't think there is need to have those red attributes on weight at all.

This is how is for me atm. and I just might finetone it for myself. I also would not follow the list 100% but take it more of as an advice so you know where you're going and depending on the situation might pick a lower weight guy who has a little less overal in the skills.

I have Ray Bourque high on my list, but I just hate playing with him. Feels hard to control and likes to play very aggressive as AI (sometimes good, especially if you like passive aggressive D), making up for some open ice. This could be that the checking attribute is said to affect how keen the AI is to check, not how effective his C-checks are. So my gut for Bourque is that he's aggressively going for checks, which is nice from some d-men, but if he misses than, then as a heavy 10 weight player it's really hard to fix your position on that. For some he could work better, but I propably wouldn't be picking him and instead take on another, but nothing is written on the stone if he's the best value you can get.

[EDIT]

Said this below in the Classic A channel, so to simplify it out

"For poor B-checkers & C/B-checkers the low weight guys should still be a priority though, could even re-adjust the multilpier to weight to 10 or so" || With defencemen that is. I will use different multipliers to forwards.
-For defencemen sometimes I feel that speed 5 might be too much and I'm more content with 3 or 4, even Fetisov with 2 is enough in Blitz9. The speed 5 d-men can be a great asset though if you can't get any of the proper speed 5 forwards.
Edited by Depch

I forgot about this!

Here's a subset of a file that I will use for GDL Drafts. Many thanks to smozoma for the base template!

Here's the file...note that it contains "macros", but it's safe. The macros are just the sorting buttons.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10816388/GDL12%20Draft.xlsm

I'm sharing a few sheets:

Pivot - This is a pivot table on the player data. If you're familiar with pivot tables, great, if not, I added buttons on the top that you can just click to sort the table by any attribute you like.

pivot.png

Formulas - This is where you can change your preference for F/D/G attributes to your preferences. Clicking any of the buttons on the pivot will reflect the updated player stats based on any attributes you change. They are currently set to the same ratings I used on the "Team Rankings" thread.

formulas.png

GDL Draft History - Draft history from GDL 4-11, along with various averages, etc.

draft.jpg

Player Data - This is the data page where the calcs are running.

Hope this helps -- happy to go through any questions as I know this has some intermediate Excel functionality happening that not everyone may be comfortable with.

This is great! Saves the work from doing all the stuff manually for us not so good creating macros.

I have begun to question some of the known sets for attributes. From my experience offensive awareness/defensive awareness does not calculate towards positioning directly. It has been verified that this works towards the reaction time when your team has the puck (offensive awareness) and without it (defensive awareness). On DTT my center Castillo has 1 offensive awareness (6 defensive awareness) and he is great on onetimers. I use this basis also for Klima who has a 3 offensive awareness (2 defensive) only and is often on very good position for onetimers. The idea is that Klima reacts to the puck slower and the opponent team gets on towards their positioning. Klima has a speed of 5 that makes him able to position himself better knowing where the opponent D already is and coming from the "bushes" so to speak and due to his speed he's there right on time.

Plus the info on stickhandling should have added that it's the resistance to b-checks to make it clear for everyone.

Edited by Depch

I seem to remember a thread someone opened up stating the bigger gap between Off awareness and defensive awareness it would create specific results.

wow pretty vague there lol

Depch, as I read about your goalie quickness, there was a thread that discussed the effect of attributes and I did some testing on the GENS goalies.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/15451-goaltender-speed-and-agility/?p=129265

I felt that Agility was the attribute that most affected goalie movement from side-to-side, followed by speed, then weight.

Depch, as I read about your goalie quickness, there was a thread that discussed the effect of attributes and I did some testing on the GENS goalies.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/15451-goaltender-speed-and-agility/?p=129265

I felt that Agility was the attribute that most affected goalie movement from side-to-side, followed by speed, then weight.

That seems to validate it pretty well. And what I meant with the goalie attributes I did was that weight 0 to make the goalie control come up faster. I recall Swos having this tested that the lower weight the goalie the faster it comes to control, however I do give this a small chance of just remembering it wrong. Then agility 6 to make it as responsive as possible, like working as acceleration on players -> Randy wood 5 speed acceleration 1 is horrible and takes ages to get on full speed (same physics should allow to goalies and players when it comes to weight too, higher works against acceleration). So make the goalie react fast to my keypresses but make low speed work against that I won't go for dekes too easily, but it seems to work fast enough for side to side anyways so speed is of little value to the goalies as an attribute, but most go to the 3/4 range anyways.