NHL'94 Forums

Ex wife & wife thread

Brutus

It's true. Humans are not monogamous. Think of this: most people get married around 30 and die in their 80s (here in North America). That means most should be married for 50 years or so. However, the average marriage lasts for 8 years. Marriages last ~20% as long as they should, and the ones that DO last are usually because of kids or fear of losing assets in divorce. 

People have about 3-5 partners before marrying. That is because people are attracted to many. You are probably attracted to thousands of women. Do you think there is some special power that will just turn that off once you get married? Not a chance.

Love is not eternal. It wears off. 

• 9 months later...
On 2/14/2017 at 7:43 PM, Premium said:

People have about 3-5 partners before marrying

See this is where those 8 year marriages go wrong, this should be a slow week in your 18-25 years!  Then by the time your 30, and married you see another attractive young lady, and it’s meh been there don that scene I’m good.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

See this is where those 8 year marriages go wrong, this should be a slow week in your 18-25 years!  Then by the time your 30, and married you see another attractive young lady, and it’s meh been there don that scene I’m good.

It's not as simple as "been there done that" when your partner has been making you suffer for years. I will never marry, and I can't wait to hear everyone telling me how lucky I am. lol!

99.9% of relationships are NOT beneficial to both parties, this is a fact. Stay smart and enjoy the bachelor lifestyle! B) 

Edited by Premium

your state hasn't legalized marriage, yet?  you don't have to act hard about it.  patience -- the tide is turning.

oh!  wait!  it's federal, now.  I forgot.  come down from your fence!

Edited by tru

I don't do it and I generally agree with your statements, but where are you reaching out from?  it seems to be nearby, nongeographically.  like... what do you do?  do you play well with others in person?  serially?  never?  concurrently?  where are you hating from?

On 12/1/2017 at 8:53 PM, Premium said:

What are the real benefits of marriage? 

#1 Children, I know you will say you can have children without getting married, but the stats overwhelmingly show the advantage to having a Mom and a Dad.

#2 A great marriage is undoubtedly the greatest human relationship.  The bond between a man, a woman, and God is something I hope someday you will know.

On 12/1/2017 at 11:34 AM, Premium said:

99.9% of relationships are NOT beneficial to both parties, this is a fact.

You are probably correct, but join me in the 1%.
You always want to be the best? Right?

6 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

#1 Children, I know you will say you can have children without getting married, but the stats overwhelmingly show the advantage to having a Mom and a Dad.

#2 A great marriage is undoubtedly the greatest human relationship.  The bond between a man, a woman, and God is something I hope someday you will know.

#1 All children have a mom and dad though. Whether or not they are married is irrelevant. 

#2 Getting married to someone shouldn't strengthen a relationship or make it stronger. If you love someone enough to marry them, then the bond is already there.

Marriage is just something people do because it's common. A large amount of people are shamed or pressured into doing it, and a lot of women only do it for the wedding ceremony. Most marriages are for SHOW and not for the "bond between a man, a woman, and God".

I am not just against marriage, but I am also against most (serious) relationships. For whatever reason, society has made it so that a relationship is very different from a friendship. Friendships are candid, but relationships have many unwritten rules that make people behave a certain way just so it can be a "relationship". For example, I know a guy who goes to bed when his girlfriend tells him to, even if he isn't tired or ready to go to bed. I know another guy who needs permission from his girlfriend to visit some of his friends. Icestorm needs permission from his wife to play NHL'94. It's all a joke. I think they call it "happy wife, happy life"... 

Wait, why are we trying to convince Plabax to get married? There's nothing in what he posts that indicates that, at this point, he'd be able to be in a relationship that requires any kind of sacrifice. For some people that's fine. Also, I know a couple who are in great relationship but have no intention of getting married.

10 hours ago, CoachMac said:

Regarding #1, the stats/science show that kids benefit from a stable family life, and in light of #2 I need to point out that this includes same-sex couple families. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4091994/ - U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine

We conclude that there is a clear consensus in the social science literature indicating that American children living within same-sex parent households fare just as well as those children residing within different-sex parent households over a wide array of well-being measures: academic performance, cognitive development, social development, psychological health, early sexual activity, and substance abuse. Differences that exist in child well-being are largely due to socioeconomic circumstances and family stability.

http://whatweknow.law.columbia.edu/topics/lgbt-equality/what-does-the-scholarly-research-say-about-the-wellbeing-of-children-with-gay-or-lesbian-parents/ - Columbia Law School

Evaluating Studies that Conclude Gay Parenting Raises Risks: With regard to the four outlier studies, all share the same flaw. At most a handful of the children who were studied were actually raised by same-sex parents; the rest came from families in which opposite-sex parents raised their children for a period of time, but in which, often, one or more parent(s) subsequently came out as gay or lesbian and left the family or had a same-sex relationship. The result was a family that endured added stress and often disruption or family breakup.

I.e., the rare studies that showed negative results would break up the types of parents into "different sex, together", "different sex, separated", and just "same sex," then would compare "same sex" to "different sex, together" and go "see, not as good!"

• Like 1