NHL'94 Forums

League with line changes and offsides?

wallywojo

Has anyone ever run a league with penalties AND offsides on AND line changes? This is how my buddies and I always played the game and I can understand how it limits what teams are competitive but it also could make for a way to have a larger A group by the dominant coaches getting more of a handicap having to use forwards beyond the first three for the middle pack teams. Any interest in this or am I on an island? Its ok because I have Herve Villechaize here chillin with me.

I think that's a great idea, and always play the game that way.

All you have to do is balance the lines so they are the same for each team(i.e., SC1 attributes same for each team, SC2 attributes same for each team, etc.). Of course, SC2 would have weaker attributes than SC1.

IMO, for a league to be truly even, like in a rod hockey tournament, for example, all teams should be of the same attributes.

Also get rid of hot/cold streaks and home ice advantage. Also, give faster fatique for SC1.

So it will be like a chess match, all teams perfectly even, and players having to use line changes intelligently.

And that would be fair and even competition, IMHO.

BTW, that's what my "Even Steven" hacks were all about.

Edited by NHL94PC

IMO, for a league to be truly even, like in a rod hockey tournament, for example, all teams should be of the same attributes.

See, here comes my opinion. I love rod hockey, but I love 92-94 because it is not rod hockey and the teams are different.

But, I still get NHL94PC's point and would say go for it on a league.

The 2011 and 2012 league did full line changes and offsides. Was pretty successful.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/13069-2011-rom-summer-league-official-sign-up-thread/

The only issue there was most of the updated modern rosters are juiced, at least for how '94 plays, so there's not a lot of strategy you need to do in determining SC1 and SC2. 7 minutes you can still get away with running two lines, particularly with offsides and the increased whistles. If you really wanted to stretch the lines, you'd have to go to 10 minutes or more, and now you're talking quite a commitment to play a game, let alone an entire season.

Handicapping "A" coaches is an idea, but if you have 10 minute periods, it reduces the chances that a lesser skilled player wins a game. You're gonna have 25 minute game blowouts, which will frustrate even the nicest of guys.

Things to think about should you decide to run one of these leagues.

I think another option is to reduce endurance on the guys by a specific %. Then people are forced to roll all three lines and use speed bursts on a very limited basis.

Become a cross between 94 and chess

Not a fan of longer periods but I do like offsides and line changes. To me it makes it more strategic. No offsides is fun, had to get used to at first

Edited by LABS_66

I would like to stay within the 5 minute period timeframes and play with the classic rom or weight bug fixed rom to avoid the 'juiced' roms. I like the idea of reducing endurance because having played that format for years its mostly Line 1 gets 60-70% ice time and Chk line gets <5% ice time.

Btw - here's a video of IceStorm handing me my worst loss ever. Up 5-2 with a minute and a half to go. Ice scores 4 to win 6-5 in OT. I was ready to quit '94.

got some HUGE breaks in the last minute with Prust and Girardi's pims.

In final I beat VC in gm 7 with 2 goals in last 30 seconds too.

would be cool sometime down the road to have a gdl/blitz style draft lg with all those rules. Draft 10F 7D and 2G. I know TDL does it to an extent, but imagine having to draft a whole team from scratch? I imagine the draft would take forever and you would probably have less coaches playing, but it Would be fun to see what the lineups look like when you really have to draft the bottom of the bottom.

Not that I'd sign up for this league, but a solution to doing a draft but avoiding the 5 month gruel of a draft would be to do it like they do it in fantasy football.

Hardly any leagues actually draft all the defensive people, they just allow you to pick an entire defense.

So, pre-set how many guys in the league, and put the benches of enough teams that don't have crazy goofy guys on the depth chart, and pick from them to fill the bottom of the rosters.

Something along those lines would enable you to do a draft for the main parts of the teams and not commit to the monster draft process.

when I play, I prefer 20-minute periods, all penalties on, manual line changing. often five-minute periods. rarely sixty-minute periods.

I'm totally In !

I have some new leagues idea since 4 years but never had the time to run it, and especially work on the roms...

We can put our efforts together to run new leagues. People who don't like it just don't play it.

For this league I propose : the Classic rom with all hacks we haves or maybe the NHL91 rom made by PixelPuck, (It depend if we wanna play with the same rom all seasons or use another rom every season to simulate all real NHL seasons since 91). Stats readjusted, speed boost and fatigue too, the goalies button, Offsides ON, Line change On, penalties On, and for the time period 7 minutes, and 40 seconds for the penalties.

( I made a study to find the best time ratio in sport games, and it appear that the real time devised by 3 is the good way, 20 mn period / 3 = 6.66 rounding to 7 minutes. We use 7 minutes in The Trade Draft League and I find it adapted. Not to short, and not to long. I propose to act the same way with the penalties : 2 minutes = 120 seconds / 3 = 40 seconds )

I have a couple of additional idea : use a kind of Elo rating, or the Classic IIHF rankings to determine the order of the team selection : the order of the team pick is determined every season by the Coach ranking. (Winning the Division tittle, the finals conference, or of course the president trophy or the playoffs guaranteed you to keep your team at the end of the season if you don't wanna change)

Another proposition is to authorize the home players to use the emulator he wants to use : So we can have the choice with Gens or Keka fusion. I'm personally tired by the desynch with gens... and it simulate the home advantage :)

I have some more idea, but it's enough for the moment I think :)

Edited by Pearate

One thing that I would love to have in a league is a silent auction for the players. Kiba did it for his NHL 95 sim league. Each team had so many millions of dollars to spend, and makes offers to the different players that they want on their team for a few rounds. So much strategy goes into it. Do you throw huge salaries at a few players, and fill the rest of your team with pluggers? Do you throw lowball offers at a few big guys to try to grab them as a steal? It was a blast seeing some other guy bid way higher than the next highest bid, or when you got a player for bidding a dollar more the the other guy.

These are all excellent ideas. I think now is the time to put together the concepts and have core league rules established around the time when the GDL and I think one other league that recently started is getting into their playoffs. A thought I had was to use the NHL 94 rom with all the fixes like pearate stated and for the first run start with the playoffs and use all the teams and seatings from that year looking like this:

1 NY Rangers

8 NY Islanders

2 Pittsburgh

7 Washington

3 New Jersey

6 Buffalo

4 Boston

5 Montreal

---------------------------------------

1 Detroit

8 San Jose

2 Calgary

7 Vancouver

3 Toronto

6 Chicago

4 Dallas

5 St. Louis

I think we should keep the attributes as they are, with the exception of endurance, and bring that one down a bit.

Skeletor your idea of the silent draft would be really cool to do. I think if you did it for just the first few rounds, which are all people care about bidding on, unless you want to see a bidding war on Uwe Krupp or Doug Lidster... For this first playoff run I'd like to keep the same rosters to see how it would play out unless there is not enough interest in it. I am not that dedicated to that part. My main concern is just to have a league with offsides and line changes.

I think another option is to reduce endurance on the guys by a specific %. Then people are forced to roll all three lines and use speed bursts on a very limited basis.

Become a cross between 94 and chess

Yes, exactly down my line of thinking, and perfect for a 1 day tournament.

I'm all about it. No offsides isn't hockey. If your goalie can make a two-line pass to Mogilny for a breakaway, then you aren't playing hockey. I'm totally in. This would make coaches have to use actually hockey strategy. Love the idea, if you set it up, I'm in.

I'm all about it. No offsides isn't hockey. If your goalie can make a two-line pass to Mogilny for a breakaway, then you aren't playing hockey. I'm totally in.

I take it you mean a 3 line pass. You can still one-time passes that are offsides.

*JUST AN OPINION

More than less games are not super close in 94. Listen to raph, longer periods just extend blowouts, and decrease the chance of having close games.

Offsides really are no fun at all lol. Like clockwise said, you can still onetime an offside pass and it will negate the offside. Just slows the game down

Line changes you can at least make an argument for. Personally I think it just slows the game down, but if you want to play with scrubs for some reason then have fun.

People should be wary of pearates point about home ice emulator choice. Gens isn't perfect, but it's been discussed many times that it's the best emulator for 94 out there. Kega and kega fusion have awful input delay, and that paired with online lag is awful. Pearate you live in France I think lol of course there's gonna be some desynchs

It's good to try new things and challenge the norm, but what do you really gain from this? I don't buy strategy, just really slower games

I think being able to one-timer while offsides would put a damper on the option of using offsides.

Having said that, I'd imagine people that would WANT to join this league would certainly be more than willing to self impose the rule of not doing it.

Also, I think it's implied if you are asking to play with line changes, you are looking for a slower paced game that gets away from the arcade feel of the default modes we generally use here, and actually use the entire team roster, instead of the first line.

That said, I clearly don't understand any negative comments on why someone else would or would not enjoy this idea. It's their f&cking thread to begin with.

Ha! I don't have big hands, as previously implied.

I agree everyone has the right to an opinion, I just think it's silly to comment if a group of guys form a thread to talk about a line change/offside league and you couldn't even understand why someone would want to do it. Why bother to put up your opinion.

"Offsides are really no fun at all" counters the main point of wally's opening comments:

"This is how my buddies and I always played the game".

So, really not trying to bully you, but I'm surprised you don't see how you are basically trying to "outrank" someone new here with your opinion being worth more than theirs because you don't like it, and come right out & say the way he likes to play is no fun. (Although I agree w/ you that it is not fun to me, or at least not as fun as the normal way).

Grrrrrawwwwwwwwww

All I want is for new players to go down the path to success. Sometimes that clouds my judgement though, cuz of course there's no big deal here since its all about fun anyway.

Good point about my comment countering the whole idea of this thread. Ignore my post guys :)

I think I felt compelled to post because of nightmares from Robbies 13 (offside and line changes) league. I just feel like 94 is perfect and we play it the most fun way. Everyone is a unique snowflake so do whatever you want people!