NHL'94 Forums

Where draft went wrong/right?

Brutus

So, I plan on waiting till all the trading is complete, and ROM is closed to locked, and I was going to publish up a report on draft grades round by round type thing , trade analogy & overall draft grades.

Obviously original draft position will be taken into account & a C is average, meaning done as expected. In plan to give balanced opinions not straight biased by my belief/value ratings.

But in the mean time, HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR TEAM DO FAR??

Key turning point?

I personally think I f&cked the pooch when I traded Richer & Modano for Gretzky & Damphouse, but loved my Svoboda/Bourqur combination.

Edited by Brutus

Ya agreed you should've made one of those, either one. Both left you without a shooter

Word, was surprised to see that. I'll surely post my thoughts (and stats!) after the dust settles, but it's been very interesting. C/B knowledge has changed the draft significantly, and seems like a huge preference for shooters over D and G this draft, moreso than before. Speed is still king.

Its tough to tell, based on my skill level, but my overall feeling about my team is very positive. I maybe should have picked a goalie a round or two earlier, but from my late draft position I've looked over the rounds and felt like for the first 5 picks I made, I took the best possible option.

Yeah, I'm curious to see how future drafts go. I think more than anything, the C/B has made the draft so much more interesting because it's a re-valuation of the previous drafts, and involves a lot of speculation, which makes drafting more fun, instead of dealing w/ exact known values.

For me, having been knocked out of Blitz partially cause Hull w/ his three accuracy couldn't find the boards, let alone the back of the net on his slappers & one timers (despite a great season), and then watching J&J whiff shot after shot w/ Modano & his 2 accuracy for 4 straight games he lost vs me, it got me thinking that the term SHOOTER does not apply to these guys. Dino is a shooter.

I personally think that next draft, the guys like Sandstrom will have an even higher premium && speed will see even more of a boost, but I don't see the Modano's & Richer types getting drafted higher than they were, perhaps maybe lower.

I do still think Gretzky & Damphouse will be drafted at same or similar positions in future drafts, and felt they gave me more overall value, and though I now lack shot power, my shot power value had some limits on it anyway just from the low accuracy that it came with for me.

I'm really happy with my team so far. I probably have the fastest team as well. Of course it helps drafting 2nd. I'm glad no one took Khmylev before me, so that I have the option of substituting a sniper if my skating isn't getting the job done.

So, I plan on waiting till all the trading is complete, and ROM is closed to locked, and I was going to publish up a report on draft grades round by round type thing , trade analogy & overall draft grades.

Obviously original draft position will be taken into account & a C is average, meaning done as expected. In plan to give balanced opinions not straight biased by my belief/value ratings.

But in the mean time, HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR TEAM DO FAR??

Key turning point?

I personally think I f&cked the pooch when I traded Richer & Modano for Gretzky & Damphouse, but loved my Svoboda/Bourqur combination.

I was pretty surprised that you agreed to this, after destroying me with Modano. Maybe you were channeling your inner Hokke?

Ha. Yeah, Modano's head shot on Bure was probably worth NOT trading him.

But I drafted Lindros in the 7th, and the demented F&CK I am, now probably HAVE to play him.

Definitely channeled my inner "Hokkee"!

Great reference.

I am thinking of that I might've been better of going on some speed in offence like Hogue / G.Courtnall left on boards. In pre draft I was not planning on a numer one D-D pairing of 9 weights and now I'm kind of handicapped by it a bit especially when Kamensky fell to 3rd round o me and had to go for a goalie at 4th round (or did I? A mistake?), so all the good other lower weight D:s went a bit earlier than planned. Was betting I could get Burt at 5th at least, but it's been a great draft with much value going where it is expected and no hidden sleepers later on the draft that much.

I am quite happy with my team though now that I've learned CB more too and still have 2*5 speeders on my team but offensively without giving up defence I might've been able to do better, but it's a bit of a coinflip of that now that Kamensky fell.

Good:

-Still have that speed if required

-Have a few strong onetimer guys in Kamensky & Francis

-Great goalie for GC

Problems:

-No lower weight (or any) stickhandling 5+ guy on offence

-A bit heavy on the D

Edited by Depch

Raph abducted my Bellows. The bromance is over between us (me and Brian that is). I'll get him back someday when his hairline has receded even further and that melon shines like a new bowling ball. Till we meed again old friend.

Be good to him dude! I almost drafted your sleeper so that the 2 elder statesmen with something in common could forge a bond and one guy wouldn't have to take the brunt of the jokes on those long team bus road trips .

Edited by Uncle Seth