NHL'94 Forums

Hot/Cold Streaks

Brutus

It's not +1/-1. It's between +0.4 and -0.4. Because internally, the base ratings are multiplied by 5, then a number from -2 to -2 is added. So if your base skill is 4 (like muller), it becomes 4*5 = 20, then plus the bonus, so 18-22. Which, if you convert back to the 0-6 rating, is 3.6-4.4.

I didn't explain them well.

#1: In the classic game, players are hot or cold equally on all their attributes. So if a player is hot, he's hot on all this attributes. But Edit Lines shows his values all over the place.

#2: No bonuses. I forget if the Edit Lines ratings are correct or not. They are probably correct, so always 54, 72, 90, etc.

#3: This is classic, but Edit Lines always shows their base ratings rather than randomized (Muller has a bunch of 72s.. even though he may be hot or cold). Players will be hot or cold (if player is hot, he has bonuses to all attributes.. cold, minus. luke warm, base values).

#4: This is NOT like classic. Players will be hot or cold on each attribute separately. He may be extra fast, but have a terrible shot. Or extra fast, but bad agility (Randy Wood mode). This never happens in the Classic ROM. What I did for this one, is I took the random nonsense Edit Lines ratings and used those for the player ratings. It feels weird to play like this.

#5: This is Classic, but the Edit Lines are correct.

I listed them basically in the order I recommend.

#1: Classic (not recommended, but it's the obvious first choice because it's the default)

#2: This is e-sports mode. Predictable.

#3: Classic, but without the confusion of the random edit lines. Guys are hot or cold like normal, but Edit Lines always shows 54, 72, 90, etc

#4: This is whacky mode. Skills are all over the place. I recommend this over #5 because players will on the average be.. average.. (hot skating + cold shot...)

#5: I don't recommend this mode. This is classic, with accurate Edit Lines. It could be prone to people disconnecting when they see that their star player is cold.

So use #2 or #3, unless #4 sounds cool.

Thank you very much for this clarification. So the true fix to classic #1 is option #5. All the bashing of option #5 makes me feel bad now when the classical option in game was the same!

I would not like to install a new attribute system to GDL, thus I would remove the option #4 out of the equation and #2 as well as it is a completely different system to the original. In the end the smart vote for GDL then would be to keep it as #1 the classic, default (GDL 1-8) or use #5 that shows the true values in menu (GDL 9-11). I like the idea of seeing the player attributes, but my vote will go for keeping it classic just in case.

The -0.4 & +0.4 indeed would equal to something like +/- ~8. The difference of 3 - 4 - 5 is 18 (54 - 72 - 90), so a attribute value of 1.0 would be 18 in the higher skills, then 0.5 would be ~9. If it is locked to -0.4 then a base skill of 4 should never be at 63? Yet we do get to see 72 -> 63 seen using option #5, which is -9, I' don't think I've ever seen a +9 though. This is not an issue though.

I'm also really interested in trying to set up a cup/tournament later on with option #2, but not in the upcoming month or so at least. Maybe see GDL through first.

Ty. Makes all clear now.

Edited by Depch

Yeah I was exi'ing w/ Seth & he kept checking his lines (this is on top of his constant spazzing editing of his line changes), and I told him he's a total tard because they aren't accurate.

To which he replied he noticed if the overall of his guys were higher, they usually had rockets for shots.

That got me checking & I noticed it was actually showing real changes & I got digging through smoz's post, which lead to Depch's grand voyage of discovery and the eventual return of lord smoz.

Thanks again smoz!!

That Al Iafrate moment just took me back 20 plus years to playing '93 with my brother in one of our long standing most favorite replays of all time.

I had Scott Stevens going end to end as time expired, crashing in on the net in Mad Stevens fashion and Belfour bailed out to the right as they did in '93, and I let fire the game winner only to watch this slow, slow poofter float over the boards from point blank range, just like that Big Al shot there!

That really took me back! Great replay. Obvious cold streak!!!

Edited by Brutus

• 2 weeks later...

If we do h/c vote, I still like #5 the best. It allows you to actually see why a guy is worth putting out there that game, and if you have goalies with similar att's, you can see who is best that game without wasting 2 mins of gametime and repeatedly pausing to re-shuffle lines. If we have the ability to see the correct info, I think it'd be worthwhile to check it out but that is just me.

If there is a pattern of a guy disconnecting on purpose because a star player is cold, then that person needs to look themselves in the mirror and ask how low can they get to cheat "buddies" in a video game. Not much lower, in my opinion.

But I would not argue with any vet here if they still didn't want that, just for that reason.

My second vote would be for #1 (regular classic).

Edited by skip

The -0.4 & +0.4 indeed would equal to something like +/- ~8. The difference of 3 - 4 - 5 is 18 (54 - 72 - 90), so a attribute value of 1.0 would be 18 in the higher skills, then 0.5 would be ~9. If it is locked to -0.4 then a base skill of 4 should never be at 63? Yet we do get to see 72 -> 63 seen using option #5, which is -9, I' don't think I've ever seen a +9 though. This is not an issue though.

One of them might be -0.6 or +0.6, I forget. But that'd have some overlap... Anyway, since there is less variation of values (there are 5 or 6 values available for a player, 4--> (3.4?), 3.6, 3.8, 4.0, 4.2, 4.4) than there are overall ratings (range of ~18), then yes some values will not be seen when the accurate ratings hack is applied.