NHL'94 Forums

HOWTO: Edit NHL Hockey '92 Banners (finding in progress...)

CoachMac

Is it possible or easy to edit banners and logos in 92?

How about limiting the number of teams?

I can see the logos in the ROM, using the 4bpp linear codec. They start at 0079C38. No idea where the palettes are, though (I don't know how to figure that out).

I can see the logos in the ROM, using the 4bpp linear codec. They start at 0079C38. No idea where the palettes are, though (I don't know how to figure that out).

Could you use hivepal for that? At least to start sleuthing....I think you can enter an offset, and hivepal displays palettes that are nearby (if any). Then, if you find a palette, try loading it up and see if it's the one.

Could you use hivepal for that? At least to start sleuthing....I think you can enter an offset, and hivepal displays palettes that are nearby (if any). Then, if you find a palette, try loading it up and see if it's the one.

Probably! (I'm not going to look for it, though)

I just noticed that some of the banners are missing 'tiles', so not all banners can be edited 100%. The banners are split up into 8x8 pixel tiles, and when it can re-use a tile, it does. So that means that somewhere in the ROM there is a table containing the indexes into the grid. It's a lot the technique used in the 64-team SNES NHLPA '93 I made. However, I couldn't immediately find the table of tile indexes :(.

If the table of indexes can be found, then you can edit the banners 100%. Currently a few banners reuse tiles, making them difficult to edit.

Here's an example of what a small part of it looked like in SNES '93:

13 06  14 06  15 06  16 06  17 06  18 06  19 06  1A 06  1B 06

There are ascending numbers in it (13, 14...). I don't know if the Sega version will also have that odd constant number stuck in between (06...06...)

I think I found the index table.

Try 07FB00:

00 00 00 01 00 02 00 03 00 04 00 05 00 06 00 00 
00 00 00 07 00 08 00 09 00 0A 00 0B 00 0C 00 00 
00 00 00 0D 00 0E 00 0F 00 10 00 11 00 12 00 00 
00 00 00 00 00 13 00 14 00 15 00 16 00 00 00 00

So try messing with some of those values in a hex editor and see what logos and banners you screw up :).

However, that might be something else, so who knows what it might break instead of mixing up the banners :)

It did not screw up any of them.

on a side note my Hex editor now says I have to pay in 7 days or it won't work.

and TM will not run at all cpu says it needs to find program on internet to run it

weird because they have both worked for a long time

It did not screw up any of them.

on a side note my Hex editor now says I have to pay in 7 days or it won't work.

and TM will not run at all cpu says it needs to find program on internet to run it

weird because they have both worked for a long time

Hm...

1)

I use this hex editor http://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD(English version of course). It's not as full-featured as some other pay ones, but it's free and works fine. Only annoyance is that after you save, you can't undo changes you made before you saved.

2)

Does the info in this thread help for TM? I have to run TM using a .bat file, I can't run the .jar.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/12135-graphics-editing-with-tile-molester-help/

No luck on Tile Molestor

In the .bat file from the previous link, try changing the "java" part to include the whole path to java.exe on your machine. For example

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_40\bin\java.exe" -jar tm.jar

You will need to find the correct path on your machine, though. Look in your C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) for the java folder, and in there find java.exe.

I just noticed that some of the banners are missing 'tiles', so not all banners can be edited 100%. The banners are split up into 8x8 pixel tiles, and when it can re-use a tile, it does. So that means that somewhere in the ROM there is a table containing the indexes into the grid. It's a lot the technique used in the 64-team SNES NHLPA '93 I made. However, I couldn't immediately find the table of tile indexes :(.

If the table of indexes can be found, then you can edit the banners 100%. Currently a few banners reuse tiles, making them difficult to edit.

Here's an example of what a small part of it looked like in SNES '93:

13 06  14 06  15 06  16 06  17 06  18 06  19 06  1A 06  1B 06

There are ascending numbers in it (13, 14...). I don't know if the Sega version will also have that odd constant number stuck in between (06...06...)

Yep some banners are not complete, they share the tiles with other banners. SAN JOSE SHARKS/HARTFORD WHALERS for instance.

These banners are not complete, they share tiles with other banners:

Detroit, Los Angeles, Montreal, New Jersey, both NY teams, Quebec, San Jose, Toronto, Washington, Winnipeg and both All-Star banners. Rest (Chicago, Edmonton etc.) are complete in Tile Layer Pro.

That means you can edit/use in the game these 11 teams (Chicago, Edmonton...) with complete banners.

Maybe more. Delete completely these 11 banners in Tile Layer Pro. Run the game, check the rest of the team banners. If there are any not affected (lets say Detrit, Toronto,Washington), write them down. Now open Tile Layer again and delete completely Los Angeles. Run the game. Does deleting the LA logo affects Detroit, Toronto or Washington? If not, delete Montreal in TLP. Run the game. And so on and so on until any of Detroit, Toronto, Washington banners is affected. Why? You know that Detroit, Toronto or Washington shares tiles with other banner and you can edit these two banners for using at least one more team in the game. Or two, or three. Maybe four.

Edited by DominikJagr

No luck on Tile Molestor
You will need to find the correct path on your machine, though. Look in your C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) for the java folder, and in there find java.exe.

Got it working. Thanks.

I found the index table for the "Game Setup" text in the main menu. it's at 024DEC.

No luck finding the banner ones though.

Note that you must use the checksum fix if you edit the ROM of course: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/8090-gens-editing-the-game-thread-guide-newbs-start-here/?p=109697

write 4e71 4e71 4e71 at offset 0300