NHL'94 Forums

Evaluating 92 Compared to 94

CoachMac

More bad teams added to the league to me is a much better reason why your GAA in season 1 was lower than the change in goalie for Season 2.

I'll stand by my contention that you'd have the same average or really close to it with Roy on Hartford.

Go ahead, edit Roy in there & exi vs Raph w/ NYR and AJ w/ Mon. Post it if you keep them under 7 without going hyper queer and hiding the puck.

Edited by Brutus

For me Coach, on the home ice advantage, I think if it's a LONG season and you then get to the playoffs, and earned that home ice, I love the idea.

If you are playing a video game and somebody already has a better team so he default gets home ice in the playoffs, and now also has that home ice in game bonus, it's too much, imo.

If it were a draft league type thing were everything was equal, I love the home ice because it's earned come playoff time/GM drafting.

Agree to a point. You just need a better team. If you had Edmonton you would be right there with AJ and Raph. With Pitt Line 1 you sweep everybody.

I like to play defense, and if my goalie gives up 0.5 less goals per game than another goalie, I will take it. There is a difference between bad goalies and good goalies, this is a fact. How big of a difference is the only debate.

My game is defensive oriented. If I cannot check you into the ice with Pittsburgh or Edmonton, then I will be holding you with Toronto or Hartford. My GAA between Hartford and Toronto from Mac's league was 6.19 for Hartford, and 4.29 with Toronto in the previous season. Not everyone likes to use super-teams every season.

When you are using bad teams, every single goal makes a difference in a close game. As far as home ice advantage there is no way to say for sure that it even exists (although it may).

No doubt you are good on D. And that is what makes your goalie good. AJ won the Esposito Bobblehead not because Roy was good but because he controlled the puck on Off and held on D. I should rename the Espo Bobblehead the Bobby Orr Bobblehead because it is really your D-men who affect how many goals you surrender.

You also need a better team and you would be right there.

In my opinion we have 4 A players

KingRaph

AngryJay

Brutus

Deadmeow

A/B

Darko99

B Players

Skeletor

Labs66

Jer33

Lupz27

Coachmac

I like our league. I wish everyone would play again a long time from now (like 6 months) as I need a break and to to play some RBI Baseball and tecmo Super Bowl (hint if you want in a league of these PM me.) I plan to handicap AJ and Raph pretty good next season if they return. Get Brutus and Dead a better team. Chicago is way better Brutus but they don't fit your style.

Anyway lets finish strong.

Brutus and Dead should play some exis against raph and AJ and each other with better teams.

Hopefully we can all come back and keep this thread positive.

Agree to a point. You just need a better team. If you had Edmonton you would be right there with AJ and Raph. With Pitt Line 1 you sweep everybody.

No doubt you are good on D. And that is what makes your goalie good. AJ won the Esposito Bobblehead not because Roy was good but because he controlled the puck on Off and held on D. I should rename the Espo Bobblehead the Bobby Orr Bobblehead because it is really your D-men who affect how many goals you surrender.

KingRaph

AngryJay

Brutus

Deadmeow

A/B

Darko99

B Players

Skeletor

Labs66

Jer33

Lupz27

Coachmac

I like our league. I wish everyone would play again a long time from now (like 6 months) as I need a break and to to play some RBI Baseball and tecmo Super Bowl (hint if you want in a league of these PM me.) I plan to handicap AJ and Raph pretty good next season if they return. Get Brutus and Dead a better team. Chicago is way better Brutus but they don't fit your style.

Brutus and Dead should play some exis against raph and AJ and each other with better teams.

This has been a really fun league. Its a very simple game, just pick up and play but it can obviously spark a lot of debate with some of the surprising depth it contains.

And go easy on me coach when it comes to knee capping me. I haven't even won a playoff game yet! If my internet situation is still good, I'd join up again for another season. I like the small leagues, its easier to find everyone and bang out the schedule with little to no drama. I'm usually the kind of guy that just says give me a squad and lets play. I'll figure out the details later in trying to be competitive.

Also, my Canadiens would not accept the Bobby Orr bobblehead. Only a Serge Savard will suffice!

A big difference I was reminded of last night. In 92, regardless of how many guys are in the penalty box for one team, they will always get a guy back when they give up a power play goal. Last night Labs had 4 guys in the box when I scored a PP goal and instead of staying 5 on 3, it was a 5 on 4.

NHL 94 is much more accurate in this respect and would have allowed the 5 on 3 to continue.

KingRaph

AngryJay

Brutus

Deadmeow

A/B

Darko99

B Players

Skeletor

Labs66

Jer33

Lupz27

Coachmac

B really???

Penalties are so rampant in '92, I am considering penalties off for the next season next winter.

Disable holding too

B really???

IMO.

Disable holding too

Not going to happen. I don't use it because I do not have an a button, but the guys who do it well deserve credit for it and it levels the field for superior teams. I would like it not to be a penalty.

IMO.

Well your opinion STINKS! Haha.....also I guess I gotta learn how to play cheap... cough, excuse me....I mean HOLD. Haha

Not going to happen. I don't use it because I do not have an a button, but the guys who do it well deserve credit for it and it levels the field for superior teams. I would like it not to be a penalty.

For me holding is just a poor substitute for lack of manual goalie. I usually do not have good checking teams, so it is also used by me for lack of checking ability.

If you are using Pitt, NYR, Edm, or Boston, then you do not need to hold, just check your opponent into the ground and feed him a snow cone.

Every season I play I am getting better at using my players to push the goalie over towards the post to cover prevent some of those easy skate by shots, but still not easy to master this technique.

I'd like to point out that I used a sh&t team in philly & came close to .500 and advanced in a sweep over the blues. I also beat a lot of teams w/ the sharks & my other fs teams.

Not once did I hold.

I'm not saying it doesn't work but a) it's queer & b ) it gets lots of penalties & still doesn't get you the puck, just stops the guy from advancing. Did I mention it's queer??

I find checking at the puck, b checking at the puck or standing in front of the puck can stop guys more effectively. But in the end, the great players w/ no manual goalie are going to get their shots on net no matter if you hold, check, b check , etc. and if you don't have enough fire power to keep up pace, you're gonna lose anyhow.

So lose w/ your manhood intact!

Edited by Brutus
  • Sad 1

I'm not going to try to suggest Skeletor is not a good player. I think his record and previous performances show he is a solid '92 player, but in saying that, I realize he's not the same offensive powerhouse of an AJ or Raph, so last night's performance might not hold AS MUCH weight, but still it has weight.

The Sharks went 5 games last night vs the Kings w/out holding on to their opponents for hugs & kisses, they held the scores quite low.

So, keep your queer tactics if you want, but to claim it's the only way to play as a defense to me somehow suggests losing your manhood is acceptable!

Back to '94 for another 4-5 months, and I figure you guys are probably gonna make me suffer extra for my comments when we meet :)

I'd also note though that Skeletor held me at the end of Game 1 very effectively. I'm standing in front of his net, down 3-2, and about to bury one by his goalie w/ Mr. #11, when Gretzky held me for 6 seconds and got a penalty, but upon the faceoff w/ 3 seconds, I didn't have time to score. So, in that moment, the loss of manhood got him a win, but I BELIEVE this lack of manhood carried into a Game 2 SHUTOUT!!!!

Again, Sharks suck or someone picks them LONG before they fell on my lap, and w/ no holding for the entire season/playoffs, put up enough results to put validity into my statements that you don't need to hold.

First of all, Brutus. YO! Congrats on that win, thats a hell of a cinderella story you pulled off there with the Sharks, bravo on that effort.

Secondly, I think things may have been misconstrued a tiny bit, Raph and I are not suggesting that holding is the only way to "D" up. In fact I know Raph likes his "C" button because James Patrick and his other heavies laid some lumber on my guys in all the games we played.

All I have been saying is that body checking is hardly an option for my team. 4 of my starters came in at 3 weight or less. Body checking aside from Richer and my subs was more or less out of the question. Believe me, I tried everything I could think of to make body checking viable, but it wasn't. My only option was to hold in my mind, I would have loved to body check but I didnt have that option available. I didn't mind the holding penalties either, especially with my light defenders because if they went into the box, I got some bigger stronger dudes who could hit in their steed. I also didnt mind only having two speedy forwards as opposed to three because of the over aggressiveness of the power play AI. I picked up a lot of shorties this season.

I think we both just figured out what worked best with the hand we were dealt. Be it manly or Lady Bing type tactics, success can be had. We definitely bucked some long standing thoughts with our performances this season bud, Congrats again on your victory.

Yeah big congrats to you on your win as well bud. Appreciate the kudos. Definitely weren't hearing Montreal & SJ holding up trophies at the start of the Season 2!

If you guys still had your balls, I'd say I'm just busting them, but we know the A button requires the surrender of them :)

Anyhow, until the day comes and I get in the same position and change my style, I'll have the luxury of being able to get away with whacking uncontested at the sign that states, "Here is where AJ's/Raph's balls used to reside!

Too funny. Catch you guys around for some late night games, and maybe we bust out some SJ vs Montreal next week if I get caught up in my leagues.

So, in that moment, the loss of manhood got him a win, but I BELIEVE this lack of manhood carried into a Game 2 SHUTOUT!!!!

Again, Sharks suck or someone picks them LONG before they fell on my lap, and w/ no holding for the entire season/playoffs, put up enough results to put validity into my statements that you don't need to hold.

Hey! I'll have you know that I am a very manly guy who does all kinds of manly things! Gretzky doesn't give you any other options for defense. He's just too delicate to do anything apart from clutching and grabbing. Given how many games that I've lost, I'll win be any means possible (-:

Anyways, I'm off to kill a bear with my bare hands...

• 2 months later...

I have been experimenting with 92.

So I did a little statistical analysis of the default line ups in NHL 92.

Weight, Speed, and Shot Power seem to be all that really matters.

I just used Weight, Speed, and Shot Power hex values of 0-15.

The 3 attributes were weighted equally.

Penguins 40-66-60-------------166

Rangers 28-59-61--------------148

Bruins 32-60-51-----------------143

Flames 22-63-57----------------142

Kings 27-54-60------------------141

BlackHawks 20-63-57-----------140

Blues 29-54-57-------------------140

Penguins (L2) 31-51-57--------139 The Penguins are ridiculously loaded in this game.

Oilers 40-50-46-------------------136

Jets 30-50-50--------------------130

Flyers 33-49-40------------------122

Sabres 35-37-49-----------------121

Capitals 33-52-34----------------119

Maple Leafs 31-47-41-----------119

Whalers 29-49-40----------------118

Canadiens 11-60-45-------------116 AJ's Line up with Richer inserted for Corson raises the Habs 20 points to 136.

Islanders 29-49-38---------------116

Devils 32-37-44-------------------113

North Stars 27-39-39------------105

Canucks 27-44-29----------------100

Red Wings 22-35-40--------------97

Nordiques 27-23-38---------------88

Sharks 29-35-23-------------------87

I don't understand that last chart, but I like this thread.

it's a great game. I can't think of a single better Genesis game. I love that people are passionate about it.

• 2 months later...

There are one timers in 94, but not in 92. For me, the addition of the one timer MADE 94 what it was. I remember so many times in 93 playing and trying to feed an open guy with a cross crease pass, who then failed to get the shot off, and asked, "Why bother, may as well just deke to a goal every play?" When I heard the 1 timer was coming to 94, I was as excited as I have ever been about a feature coming to a sport video game. And voila, it was perfectly implemented and was a big factor in making 94 what it was and still is.

• 2 years later...

It seems to me that Pitt is very dominate in this game. Almost unfair like dominance. Much more dominate than any team in 94.

what happened to the nhl92.com site? Would love to see the records of home vs away and see the comparison.

Last time I did a stat analysis...about 57% of the time the home team was winning in classic online. King of 94 Toronto was much closer...I believe 51% of the time the home team won.

@deadmeowwas the original owner of NHL92.com and some other similar sites, and ran some Leagues way back in the early 2000's before I even knew what the internet was.:haha:

I think he and @Evanwere friends, he may have even helped get NHL94.com going if I remember properly.

I played in a couple of his leagues around 2013. 

http://homeiswhere.phpzilla.net/nhl2013standings.htm

http://homeiswhere.phpzilla.net/nhl2013standings.htm 

Then I took over the site as he was in poor health and I had my leagues.
I had all the team rosters, player pictures, records, etc... up on the site plus my leagues stats.

After KO94 in Toronto my interest waned in 92 and 93, and I finally moved on to 1994.
Did not renew the domain name when time came and so now it is gone.

Here is Deadmeow's Forum, looks like he shut everything down in March of this year.
I know he was really sick.

http://gensports.proboards.com

And yes, the Penguins are stupid good, no other team in the rom comes close.
It is like they are Chicago and everybody else is Florida.

What always amazed me is no weight bug in 92.
What happened?

Did Mikey actually ever find out?
How about the fighting story?

What is up with Mikey and Pixelated Heroes?

Still have lots of questions?

Edited by CoachMac

Thanks for that Coach. Interesting to go through all of that.

I spent some time and went through one of those league schedules. Out of approximately 200 games(and I removed the tie games)...the home team won 49% of the time...so there doesn't appear to be a home advantage.

Unfortunately I don't have any answers to the questions you've asked for mikey's doc. Perhaps @McMikey will chime in one day on that.