NHL'94 Forums

The Toronto NHL '94 Tournament Registration is now OPEN!

McMikey

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you even write such a gross miss statement MrP lol Now I can get in the troll game. Sega Genesis 60 hz, Mega Drive 50Hz. Sega CD, Mega CD, SNES, Super Famicom, Game Gear, MS Dos and then you can't forget the engine was used on Mutant Hockey League. So a true King of 94 would have to beat everyone on 9 different systems... oh wait then they are all the mods and emulators for each of those versions. Factor in the lag in modern TV's vs Tube TV's and you have to have both of those.

Basically if Michael Jordan decided to stay on the couch, that didn't change the fact he may be the best basketball player in the world. What did was he got off his ass, played by the rules that was given to him and kicked some ass LIVE against real people.

I truly hope you can make the event MrP, I really do... but not for me or the movie, but so you can see all your buddies that would really like to meet you. Balls are in your court

"So as a thought process for a second and think of the systems as secondary and the goal is to find the best person at NHL '94 as a whole (SNES mixed in with Gens)."

Ok you're right.. NHL '94 is ONLY on the Sega Genesis and SNES as it was mentioned in your earlier post. Yes I am trolling when I say it is not..

I am not sure what you mean with Michael Jordan. First off, Michael Jordan played in the NBA. The NBA is the top basketball league in the world. He was the best in the NBA, and thus the best BASKETBALL player in the world. Now what if there was a Netball league that was called the NetBall Association (NBA aswell)? You wouldn't take the best netball player from the NetBall Association and say hey.. play Michael Jordan 1on1 to prove who really is the best NBA player. This is essentially what you are doing. Both games are called NHL '94, but they are different like Tennis and Table Tennis. Tell me, when do you see the #1 ranked tennis player face off against the best table tennis player to determine who the best tennis player is? People are smart enough to know that's not how it works.

Edited by Premium

Well, I think since Plabber isn't coming, rather than just lay low on the issue, he's decided to try to poke holes in your big balloon.

Some of the comments from others tend to derail a fun time, but it's accidental, and a deep breath can solve the issue.

I firmly believe that in his case though, it's not accidental, but now it's at least not relevant, because as always, he eventually runs out of b.s. to throw out there.

It is so unfortunate you just can't please everyone in this world. If you don't like the way it is set up, please try and gather the funds and all the resources possible to make your own tournament. Leave Mikey alone, he's done a great job with his documentary and setting up this awesome tournament where we can call get together and play some awesome '94 on the real system the way most of us grew up playing it

I can't wait for Toronto!

Edited by CoachMac

Well, I think since Plabber isn't coming, rather than just lay low on the issue, he's decided to try to poke holes in your big balloon.

Some of the comments from others tend to derail a fun time, but it's accidental, and a deep breath can solve the issue.

I firmly believe that in his case though, it's not accidental, but now it's at least not relevant, because as always, he eventually runs out of b.s. to throw out there.

I'm not trying to troll. People have a point in saying WTF to the idea of mixing the consoles. Sure McMikey put in some hard work, but that's not any excuse to not bash a silly decision.

Winner GENS vs SNES does NOT give you the king of 94. Why is that so hard to understand?

Again, the best tennis player doesn't play the best ping pong player to determine the king of tennis. How is that a troll? Completely relevant and a great point as to why GENS/SNES may not be the best.

Edited by Premium

Here is another thought.

You've got 3 months to practice on the other console.

So if you want to be King win your console and start practicing to win the other one.

Can't be done? OK neither could another Triple Crown.

And if I got a horse that can beat American Pharoah it does not mean American Pharoah isn't the best or take away from his Triple Crown. It just means that my horse did not run.

Ping Pong and Tennis is a poor comparison and if they had a dual title for that it would be valid.

And if it was the biggest best title, you better believe Roger Federer would be working with a small paddle too.

In Triathlon you don't get the best swimmer, runner, or biker. You get the best Triathlete.

In Decathlon you don't get the best at any of the events. You get the Greatest Athlete in the World.

I believe that KingRaph or AngryJay could win both if they practiced and played SNES enough.

Probaby some guys on SNES who could do the same.

I also think 1 game on each system with the best plus/minus is the answer.

If it is tied play 2 more.

THIS IS THE TOURNEY! These are the Rules! NHL Players. Downtown Toronto. EA guys. A Movie being made.

Again I am thrilled to be a part of it and ever grateful to Mikey and Halifax for putting it on.

Edited by CoachMac

I believe that KingRaph or AngryJay could win both if they practiced and played SNES enough. - YES

Probaby some guys on SNES who could do the same. - NO

Just being honest. Though Bok is a very tough GENS player, so maybe.

What does?

When is your Perfect Premium Tourney?

Why don't you go read the context? McMikey clearly implied NHL '94 can only be played on the Sega Genesis and the SNES and he said it was the entirety of NHL '94. This is his reasoning as to why it is necessary to mix the systems b/c it's the true way to determine the king of 94 for the doc.

I said that it isn't true, because there are 2 other consoles that can and would need to be played. So theoretically you can have the runner-up of the tournament be the true "king of 94", (as he/she can really be better at 3 of the consoles) which then contradicts the method on how McMikey claims the title is determined.

This tournament will not define the best at NHL'94 (in regards to his definition), so McMikey made an error. I'm correct.

And seriously CoachMac... the ping pong/tennis thing is a perfect example. The best ping pong player will always beat the best tennis player and vice versa.

The top SNES player will kick the s**t out of any GENS player and the top GENS player will kick the s**t out of any SNES player. Go look at all the top SNES players, none have done anything in GENS and vice versa.

Edited by Premium

Hey KingRaph, the 2vs2 looks wicked. I'll work on a space we can chill and do some games Friday night. I'll bring my Flash Cart loaded with the ROM if someone can send it to me.

Angrygay said "I travelled to freaking Saskatchewan for a snes tourney, of course I'm gonna go to this Toronto tourney."

I can't remember his exact quote lol but that was the gist of what he said. AJ likes gens more, always has.

This tourney is gonna be a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to it.

This kind of drama is exactly what pulled me into the 94 community. Brutus your comments about the gens community being a motley crew are very true. I love this stuff, and glad to see Mcmikey does too. The doc needs some forum drama gold.

MrP knows he's the best 94 player ever, and that's why he feels so free to troll like this.

hmm... I somewhat side myself with premium on this argument... if you were looking to find the king of both Gens AND Snes, you wouldn't divide the two up as is being done... (but then you get the dogdy idea of what system do you play on?) I dont feel that you can in a fair manner, find a good way to decide who is the best. you have to at least put a bias on 1 console. from what I know online, I know top players who cross actually find themselves more in the middle of the other table, so you're somewhat even in that regard.

Maybe you could think of which system is better by having the top 3/4 have a few series against each other, and whoever comes out on top of that is the best system?

or maybe instead of having a coin toss or bias vote have a shoot out to determine what system is played? (lel snes xD)

or you can just play gens... (gens>snes right???)

I think whatever way the bias of the doc is going, that's the console that should have priority in the snes/gens matchup (lets be honest, no such thing as non bias)

whatever you do I'll be sad to miss out on such an event :/

Edited by fank009

And seriously CoachMac... the ping pong/tennis thing is a perfect example. The best ping pong player will always beat the best tennis player and vice versa.

yes, and Usain Bolt would beat every Decathlete in the 100, but he could not win the Decathlon.

And the winner of the Decathlon is considered the Greatest Athlete in the World.

The Winner of this Tournament will be the King of 94!

GDL is not s**t because standard fantasy snake drafts are normal. People play with those rules for money and it's widely recognized. If you took any hardcore fantasy player and showed them GDL, they would understand.

Blitz on the other hand, full of holes and gaps, made no sense. The protect system was bad.

I think it's liked because it uses the weight fix, is split up into A/B and now everyone can C-check the opposition. I'm sure for most people, the C-check is a big factor in determining how fun the game is. That's how it seems at least.

Blitz wasn't meant to decide the best player. If you want that, then a snake draft league like GDL is what you want. You think I didn't know about the merits of snake drafts or something? :P Blitz was meant to keep some players between seasons and help keep games close between coaches of disparate skill. The more you won, the harder it got; the worse you did, the more help you got, though it might take a couple seasons to feel it. Coming up with a wholly new draft scheme isn't going to be perfect. Allowing trading of protects was a mistake, but people wanted it, and it was only there for maybe 2 of my seasons. Coach turnover of course caused problems in a league with equalization. Being something unique and more complicated, not everything was perfect, but how about YOU CREATE SOMETHING!

Not sure what you mean by everyone can C-check. Heavies can C check in Blitz, Lighties can't.

yes, and Usain Bolt would beat every Decathlete in the 100, but he could not win the Decathlon.

And the winner of the Decathlon is considered the Greatest Athlete in the World.

The Winner of this Tournament will be the King of 94!

The Greatest Athlete in the world is for the winner of the decathlon.

The Fastest Man in the world is for the winner of the 100m.

The King of '94 is for the winner of a NHL '94 tournament that includes NHL '94 as a whole (says McMikey) which is Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Sega CD and DOS. Such a tournament does not exist yet and it won't be the one in Toronto.

Edited by Premium

I think it's time to retire the conversation about the validity of the title King of 94. Everyone knows the gamers only care about the individual console titles, and the King Of title is just for fun.

There will be a King of Genesis '94 and a King of SNES '94 (among those attending), and, for fun, and narrative purposes, a King of '94.

I surrender Plabax.

Should have never gotten drug into this.

Somewhere In Ghana there is a guy who can outrun Usain Bolt but either does not have the money or ability to get to the Olympics.

So Usain Bolt will be crowned the Fastest Man in the World.

I do really wish you and trudatman would be there.

BoKnows went to SNES and won Classic and Dynasty titles.

I filled in a season and was pretty competitive in the SNES A league (led in GFA, lost to Bob K. in 7).

Houly won an SNES dynasty league I think.

Plabax was an A SNES player before he quit.

AngryJay is currently a top seed in SNES A.

To say that GENS guys who have crossed over are in the middle is not true. Everyone is A level, some even elite!

McMarkis, C4, and Northway Native have made GENS attempts as far as I know. They would not win the B title, though NN was getting much better.

Again, it's much harder to transfer to GENS. You have more scoring options, depth of competition, weight bug/CB, the goalie control delay, different emphasis on player attributes, looser passing, etc etc.

I can go on and on, but I think I made my point.

Mikey,

I think you can take some of these posts and have it narrated by someone with a British accent with Kenny G playing in the back ground. Great piece for the doc.

Updated, see http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/16882-the-toronto-nhl-94-tournament-registration-is-now-open/?p=148787

A re-do of my schedule attempt with the info that it's going to be 2 consoles per group, with half the players playing in the morning and half in the afternoon, then the finals in the evening. It was going over-schedule, so I had to move the final 2 of the morning groups to play in the afternoon at the same time as the afternoon group. Saves 45 minutes.

Since it's a bar, I assume we can stay pretty late and maybe we don't need to cram it all into 12 hours?

• 8:00AM: Registration and orientation.
  • 9:00AM: Morning group: 11 sets of games gets it down to the top 2 in each group. (+2.75 hr)
  • 11:45AM: Intermission, 1 hour: have some presentations about the game, introduce the guests, bit of a recap of the morning games. Orientation for afternoon group. (+1.0 hr)
  • 12:45AM: Afternoon group: 11 sets of games to get down to top 2 in each group (+2.75 hr)
  • 3:30PM: Seeding for finals: The top 2 from each group from the morning and afternoon need to play each other to decide the #1 and #2 seed from that group. The reason morning group needs to wait until now is to get better console utilization (saves 45 minutes) (+0.75)
  • 4:15PM: Intermission: 15 mins to set up the finals and whatnot (+0.25 hr = 8.0 hr)
  • 4:30PM: Final 16, 6 rounds to eliminate down to top 3 per console (+1.5 hr = 9.5 hr)
  • 6:00PM: SNES semi-final on the big screen
  • 6:15PM: Genesis semi-final on the big screen
  • 6:30PM: SNES Final on the big screen
  • 6:45PM: Genesis Final on the big screen
  • 7:00PM: King of '94 SNES vs Genesis (assuming 2 games, total goals)
  • 7:30PM: Prizes
  • 7:45PM: Thanks-yous and goodbyes (.... 12.0 hr)
  • 8:00PM: DRUNK 2ON2

Am I close? :D

The best tennis players in the world win on grass, clay and hard.

The best table tennis players win with sponge rackets, hardbat and sandpaper paddles.

The best Nhl 94 player should be great on both consoles!

A re-do of my schedule attempt with the info that it's going to be 2 consoles per group, with half the players playing in the morning and half in the afternoon, then the finals in the evening. It was going over-schedule, so I had to move the final 2 of the morning groups to play in the afternoon at the same time as the afternoon group. Saves 45 minutes.

Since it's a bar, I assume we can stay pretty late and maybe we don't need to cram it all into 12 hours?

• 8:00AM: Registration and orientation.
  • 9:00AM: Morning group: 11 sets of games gets it down to the top 2 in each group. (+2.75 hr)
  • 11:45AM: Intermission, 1 hour: have some presentations about the game, introduce the guests, bit of a recap of the morning games. Orientation for afternoon group. (+1.0 hr)
  • 12:45AM: Afternoon group: 11 sets of games to get down to top 2 in each group (+2.75 hr)
  • 3:30PM: Seeding for finals: The top 2 from each group from the morning and afternoon need to play each other to decide the #1 and #2 seed from that group. The reason morning group needs to wait until now is to get better console utilization (saves 45 minutes) (+0.75)
  • 4:15PM: Intermission: 15 mins to set up the finals and whatnot (+0.25 hr = 8.0 hr)
  • 4:30PM: Final 16, 6 rounds to eliminate down to top 3 per console (+1.5 hr = 9.5 hr)
  • 6:00PM: SNES semi-final on the big screen
  • 6:15PM: Genesis semi-final on the big screen
  • 6:30PM: SNES Final on the big screen
  • 6:45PM: Genesis Final on the big screen
  • 7:00PM: King of '94 SNES vs Genesis (assuming 2 games, total goals)
  • 7:30PM: Prizes
  • 7:45PM: Thanks-yous and goodbyes (.... 12.0 hr)
  • 8:00PM: DRUNK 2ON2

Am I close? :D

You are close bud;) I know you know the game set up for the triple elimination so I think you'll understand this. The winner of game 18 (if he has no losses), or winner of game 19(will only have one loss) is Qualifier A. Qualifier B is the player that wins game #21(will have 2 losses).

Then to start the double elimination it would be 1A vs 5B, 2A vs 6B, 3A vs 7B, 4A vs 8B...and the same for the next set of 4. In theory if 1A and 1B were the two best, then they wouldn't meet until first winners final. (we may collapse the final 16 to 4 consoles to create more focus for those playing).