NHL'94 Forums

What Console Will Sell out First?

McMikey

I know this is a touchy subject... But has to be mentioned. When Halifax and I launched the www.KingOf94.com site we both thought Sega Genesis would out sell the SNES 2 to 1 or at least 3 to 2.

But that is not what is happening. It has been an even race this first week. Standing at 31 sold out each at the time of this post (Thursday June 11th 2015, 7:30pm Mountain time)

What is your conspiracy theory?

When I did the live tourney downtown Chicago a few months back, there was a group of guys who liked to play SNES together at their house and even ran leagues on paper! One of them was aware of the site, but never signed up, only read the forums, and neither had played GENS much, but showed up anyhow to give it a go.

I do recall crossing paths w/ someone else who used to be on this site & also holds summer get together type tourneys in Naperville, IL. I forget his name (so he may still be on the site!), but I remember he said they'd have decent turn out.

But in both instances, that was a decent amount of guys playing SNES regularly but not playing online. Perhaps, SNES has a larger, quieter underground following than GENS.

I'm still voting GENS for the final count, or first to final count.

I was VERY surprised to see this site so dominated by Genesis players when I first joined a decade ago, but I also came to see that those guys mostly just dominated the drama and the post counts. it certainly was popular on both systems when it was a new game, but my travels and experiences have offered evidence that gamers know the Nintendo version to be the better game. was the SNES uncommon in Canadia or something? is the tie only because Spamifax has been cranking out the touching personalized emails?

was the SNES uncommon in Canadia or something?

I can only speak for my little town in Northern Canada. My friends (so everyone in my age group), where Sega guys. Sports was a big part of growing up in very small place and Sega was the sports console... So it was Gens NHL '94 until Playstation came out and changed the game again. My friends moved on and I stayed behind and played Gens lol

I never even seen NHL '94 on SNES until I went to college in 2004

I was in college in the late nineties and the SNES I brought got played every day. Playstation and PS2 were big deals and the N64 was also common, but the most common (console) game on campus seemed to be SNES '94. a few of the guys grew up with the Genesis, but none of them claimed it was the better game after the first week of our regular gaming sessions.

many educated people speak in a way that best conveys the message they intend to impart. if you need it cavemanned down for you, I'm sure somebody can translate. as for typing, different approaches to sentence structure can lead to even move clarity of intent over variability of interpretation, so sometimes I will craft a message that needs a second reading, but is going to leave the reader closer to understanding than the typical "LOL SNES WTF WTGA LMNOP STFU SNAFU" "conversation" you may normally find yourself a part of.

Edited by tru

The fact that this is now a thread is a win for SNES.

I like getting the participation medals.

Nobody would've guessed this. Exactly at the half point of our goal of 128 buds (64 on each system) and we're all tied up!

Officially three months to go!

post-457-0-22844500-1434168274_thumb.png

many educated people speak in a way that best conveys the message they intend to impart. if you need it cavemanned down for you, I'm sure somebody can translate. as for typing, different approaches to sentence structure can lead to even move clarity of intent over variability of interpretation, so sometimes I will craft a message that needs a second reading, but is going to leave the reader closer to understanding than the typical "LOL SNES WTF WTGA LMNOP STFU SNAFU" "conversation" you may normally find yourself a part of.

wtfga

FOH.

many educated people speak more than one language.

yes, that is a fact. does it relate?

I took some French, but without the immersion I found it to be a relatively difficult language to grasp. Latin was helpful, but weird to study. Spanish was a LOT easier, coming from English. English is pretty tricky, I think. I assume you have a decent command of French and English, is that right?

What travels have you taken Tru to come to your conclusion? I was in college in early to mid 90's and the Genesis NHL94 and MADDEN94 versions were much more popular than SNES.

I'd never even seen SNES '94 Hockey until I got online here.

I was aware of Super Tecmo Bowl for both systems because my friend had a SNES and I'd play league games w/ him over there.

But, I honestly never saw the game once, and my brother & I played this at numerous campuses visiting friends, including in USA & Canada, and neither of us crossed a SNES NHL94.

Not saying they weren't out there, just I'd have a hard time imagining they were the "norm" back there, regardless of this "count down".

I've been to lots of places and played games with many people, in person. maybe they started out as more popular, but I think it approached a more even balance as people realized the differences between the rushed-out Genesis game and its well-planned port to the more capable system. it is for sure just my personal experience. I went to college in Connecticut in between 1996 and 2000. the school had a wide variety of folks and it was a very popular game. I think I only saw the Genesis being played once. maybe by that time the SNES game had become more appreciated than when it was first released and people were already used to the Genesis version. being first to the stores surely helped it hold its popularity. no worries, they are both very popular. I think this site is just dominated by the more, uh... aggressive and primal folks. kind of testosterone-driven, less cerebral. SNES players may lack a bit of the passion that encourages the exuberance of y'all Genesis drama-pushers.

I would've thought your higher education and overall cerebral advantage over us genesis Neanderthals would've equated into having the means necessary to travel to Toronto.

I guess we're left with your witty and intelligent posts.

pretty much. it's because I'm a giver. I like to sacrifice my own well-being for the benefit of all. I'm not greedy. I try to opt out of the system as much as popsicle. I have recently aimed at turning that around for my family's sake

I wonder if it's regional? Like some places in the US will say "soda," and others, "pop." Maybe different consoles dominated in different states or cities.

I know in Ottawa, we rented the SNES a few times. Not even sure they had a Sega to rent.

Then for some reason one Christmas my parents got my bro and I both a sega and a SNES. Not sure why both. Got Sega NHL 94. Later bought SNES 95, not sure why not Genesis.

it's because I'm a giver. I like to sacrifice my own well-being for the benefit of all.

Sweet, would be amazing if you took that approach on the forum at some point.

I do. I contribute a lot more than y'all leaguers. I make a hack at least once a year. I respond to newcomers with questions, including ones about the Genesis that go unanswered by those of you with more knowledge about it. I respond in great detail to inquiries about hacking and the guts of the game. y'all waste post after post on drama and calling me names. and it doesn't look good on you. but, you know, keep it up. I'm not the only one who sees right through it.

I'd love to, Mac, but I am not currently in a position to do it. I'm not going to pretend that I am. and "back" what "up?" I don't claim to be better than y'all at the game. you cannot find a single post where I do. a little bit of friendly shittalking is a key component of playing the game for me and my friends. I figured y'all can handle it. it's clear that you can't, so I've toned it way down. y'all need a straw man, sure. it can be me, but let's not be delusional about it.

So you prefer to add to the drama you can't stand by post after condescending and sarcastic post?

Doesn't add up.

Oh well thought what you had to say was worth something other than needling and prodding but alas you are what you are. Guess I'll go back to 'ignoring' Trudatman posts

Cheers