NHL'94 Forums

How to Change the Font in a ROM?

Premium

Pretty sure it's the same as a graphic hack. There is an A-Z, 0-9, etc section of the ROM w/ the font. Have to update those images. I won't be around my comp for a bit, but you can compare the original to Clockwise's.

When you are using Tile Molester, somewhere after the sprites for the players, goalie, and Instant Replay Menu, there are tiles where the main text will be present, menu and scoreboard text included.

Unlike the common ROM hacks that you will find by the other developers on here, however, I use Zana GB's The Zana GX Font: Volume 0I & II (with a few tweaks here and there for making optimal design for specific letters) for the menu text, truly gives the game a lovely amount of shine and polishing to the text's design and structure; in order to get this font looking in the way that it is in my works, however, serious palette editing had to be done to get the font to work in all of the screens, and this will be a factor for you if you are aiming for more detailed and textured fonts in your ROM hack, in the event that certain colours appear visually off, so do bear that in mind during work on any project.

For the Thirty Team ROM in Tile Molester, the large menu and scoreboard text begins at the offset 000A9A1A, the in~game and menu text starts at 000AAC7C, and the Main Menu text begins at 000BE294.

If you have a font that you want to manually import into TM, then best bets are to do it by hand, it is far easier to do (even though it will take about 02 to 04 hours to get in detailed fonts, if you are doing them by hand); also to add, if you are intending on making sprites for Japanese text in either the in~game/game menu or Main Menu text, then you will have to stick for Standard Hiragana or Katakana, both of which have 046 characters (06 less than the regular letters' 052) individually, so in the event that you know what you are doing with that (especially when you are doing text editing), you could easily make an English to Japanese translation without a trouble; just make sure not to mix and match the characters from HG and KK together, and you will do just fine, in that regard.

Hoping that this helps out anybody that is curious about this, I am glad to be of assistance on such a topic. (:

You are greatly welcome, Premium.

Anything to help out a fellow NHL scener or ROM hacker, glad to be of assistance. (: