NHL'94 Forums

TOOL: SNES '94 Roster Tool

chaos

3 hours ago, Stefan said:

Thanks.

When I load it up I only get about 30 players and a small portion of the teams.

Also could you set it up where if I adjust players stats the overall rating adjusts real time?

Please show me an example of your issue. What rom are you using?

I'm not sure how easy that would be to make the overall rating dynamic. I will have to see.

I just tried it with the default SNES 94 ROM and it works fine.

• 2 years later...

I think it's because my NHL rom isn't headerless.

Is there some way to make it headerless without screwing everything up?

Also I take it you never got around to making the overall ratings dynamic, huh?

Edited by Stefan

1 hour ago, Stefan said:

I think it's because my NHL rom isn't headerless.

Is there some way to make it headerless without screwing everything up?

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/593/ -- this can remove the header

or use a Hex editor and I think the header is obvious if you compare between headered and headerless ROMs. I think it's the first 0200 bytes, they're all 00000...?

1 hour ago, smozoma said:

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/593/ -- this can remove the header

or use a Hex editor and I think the header is obvious if you compare between headered and headerless ROMs. I think it's the first 0200 bytes, they're all 00000...?

Turns out I don't need to remove the header afterall.

19 hours ago, Stefan said:

Since this is a CSV file, and not exported as an excel file, there is no way to reliably add a formula to make the ratings dynamic. You can search on the forums here for the calculation and add it to your spreadsheet yourself.

Hi @chaos you mentioned the  SNES ROM Editor by Statto but I haven't been able to find one that works with Windows 10. I've been looking for the past week but only found one from 2010 I believe and it did not open on my computer after installation. Am I doing something wrong or just not using the correct ROM Editor? Btw the Roster Import Tool is AWESOME! Thank you for that!

26 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

Hi @chaos you mentioned the  SNES ROM Editor by Statto but I haven't been able to find one that works with Windows 10. I've been looking for the past week but only found one from 2010 I believe and it did not open on my computer after installation. Am I doing something wrong or just not using the correct ROM Editor? Btw the Roster Import Tool is AWESOME! Thank you for that!

Right click the editor and go to properties. Go to compatibility then click windows xp. 

Thats what I did for the editor and it worked

4 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Right click the editor and go to properties. Go to compatibility then click windows xp. 

Thats what I did for the editor and it worked

That worked! Thank you sir!

4 hours ago, chaos said:

@Stefan I updated the Tool, download the Setup file from the first post. It should work now no problems.

yes, it works, thank you.

For the purpose of quick copy and pasting can I somehow remove the overall rating in the SNES csv, since the genesis one doesn't have it, or will that ruin it when I upload it?

Right now I have to copy a certain section > paste - then copy another section > paste.

3 hours ago, Stefan said:

yes, it works, thank you.

For the purpose of quick copy and pasting can I somehow remove the overall rating in the SNES csv, since the genesis one doesn't have it, or will that ruin it when I upload it?

Right now I have to copy a certain section > paste - then copy another section > paste.

It will ignore the overall rating, so you can leave it in or remove it, your call.

EDIT: Actually this may be wrong (you might get an error). So, what you can do in your spread sheet is copy over everyone, then once you're done, add an 'Ovr' column between JNo and Wgt. Then, save as a CSV file. Make sure before you save CSV that all the fields on your spreadsheet are "Text" format, not "General".

1 hour ago, chaos said:

It will ignore the overall rating, so you can leave it in or remove it, your call.

EDIT: Actually this may be wrong (you might get an error). So, what you can do in your spread sheet is copy over everyone, then once you're done, add an 'Ovr' column between JNo and Wgt. Then, save as a CSV file. Make sure before you save CSV that all the fields on your spreadsheet are "Text" format, not "General".

Ok, thanks.

• 6 months later...

@chaos This might be a dumb question, but when importing an updated rosters CSV does every team have to have the same number of players as the original ROM? For example, ANH with 18 players, BOS with 24, DET with 25, etc.

I'm working on a ROM and have 25 players per team. If I have to trim the fat for each team I can but was hoping to avoid that.

On 12/7/2020 at 4:33 PM, kidswasted said:

@chaos This might be a dumb question, but when importing an updated rosters CSV does every team have to have the same number of players as the original ROM? For example, ANH with 18 players, BOS with 24, DET with 25, etc.

I'm working on a ROM and have 25 players per team. If I have to trim the fat for each team I can but was hoping to avoid that.

No it does not. The tool will calculate how many players are on the roster.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chaos said:

No it does not. The tool will calculate how many players are on the roster.

When trying to load my updated rosters CSV and using the default nhl94 ROM to make the new ROM I've been receiving an error saying 'There is not enough player space to add (player's name) for team ANH. You are 6 player bytes short.' He's on row 19. I was hoping to have 25 players per team(3G, 14F, 8D). Is that not possible due to a certain byte cap? All I really want to do is a roster update to include these all-time rosters for each franchise.

45 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

When trying to load my updated rosters CSV and using the default nhl94 ROM to make the new ROM I've been receiving an error saying 'There is not enough player space to add (player's name) for team ANH. You are 6 player bytes short.' He's on row 19. I was hoping to have 25 players per team(3G, 14F, 8D). Is that not possible due to a certain byte cap? All I really want to do is a roster update to include these all-time rosters for each franchise.

OK, need to explain what's going on here.

The player and team data are each grouped by team. This area is limited due to ROM size constraints. When the ROM was made, obviously the ROM was not meant to be modified, so there is a fixed size for player and team data. 

Each player/team data group is referenced by a list of pointers. So in this list of pointers, ANH data is at one spot, BOS is at another spot, etc. This table is used by the ROM to grab the data.

In Genesis, the NOSE editor gets around the size limitation by moving some of this player/team data to an empty spot in the ROM. For example, we can move the data for ANH and BOS, and change the pointer list to point at the new spots. This frees up the space originally taken by ANH and BOS and that space can be used to expand the other team rosters (Now instead of fitting 28 teams in that spot, we have 26 teams used to fill it). 

When I originally made this tool, it was able to do this, move the team data out, to allow expansion of the teams. Unfortunately, this broke compatibility with Statto's SNES Editor. For some reason, his editor doesn't look at the pointer list; the data positions are hard coded into it.

So, since Statto's SNES Editor is limited, and my plan was to use this as an assistant to it, I had to change it so that it worked with the editor.

There is a way to make this work. Though you will have to copy and paste some stuff in a hex editor, and break compatibility with the SNES editor.

EDIT: So, my previous response to your original question should have been "It could work, with some caveats..."

The best way to work around it would be to just use first initials instead of whole names. This would gain you some space on each team. Don't include a period, just the first initial.

• Thanks 1