NHL'94 Forums

Tournament Rules questions

smozoma

I fully believe pausing can change the "momentum" or "advantage" stuff. I think you should not be allowed to pause after a goal unless it is to use your ONE substitution. otherwise it is too much of an advantage to the player willing to stoop.

pulling/swapping your goalie for penalty shot(s) should be against the rules for the obvious disruption of the intended mechanic of the game. now, for faceoffs it may be a different matter. here's another reason to allow only one substitution pausing. if you want to waste your pause to have your goalie crash the faceoff, go for it. you are pulling your goalie while it's in your end! neat trick....good luck!

reinserting and/or pulling exception would be an in-the-third-or-overtime-only experience. if you pause for that as your first pause you should still get another. if you have already used your pause, these exceptions would still be allowed. this stuff really shows the reason to limit pauses to one per player per game. maybe an exception for before overtime would be appropriate, but maybe not. there are lots of reasons to keep pausing to a very minute limit. these above are just some of them.

I think some people do the quick pause/unpause to say "nice goal"?

--

I also think we need an "acts of 94 gods" rule. For example, that goal that's in a video somewhere where the puck lands on top of the net then falls through the net for a goal. Do we count that as an Act of 94 Gods and count it?

Also, once in a blue moon on the Sega version, you can shoot the puck at the goal after the whistle, the puck stops on the line like normal.. then for some reason a couple seconds later, the puck goes in for a goal. Do we count that?

And I think I saw a video once where someone scored from behind the net, the puck just went through the back of the net for a goal.

I think when it comes to glitches, its definitely an gray area. My personal thought is that if the glitch is not caused by the player who benefits from it, then generally the play should stand. Those glitches seem to be a part of the game. Otherwise the call is"reversed" with the examples you just provided.

Hot/Cold viewing

For Sega at least, we should point out that it really doesn't matter -- the hot cold ratings are not connected to the actual hot/cold of the players. Same in the edit lines, so guys don't waste time trying to find the hot guys. Actually, I kind of think we should tell all attendees about the Sega weight bug and CB check, so we don't have a lot of upset noobs. The sooner the better.

Thanks for the note on hot/cold for sega, didn't know that. Stats do change in snes from game to game. Why do you feel others should be told about the weight bug and cb check? I think that's knowledge that gives a player an advantage if the other player doesn't know about it. Much like knowing any intricate part of the game.

Thanks for the note on hot/cold for sega, didn't know that. Stats do change in snes from game to game. Why do you feel others should be told about the weight bug and cb check? I think that's knowledge that gives a player an advantage if the other player doesn't know about it. Much like knowing any intricate part of the game.

I don't play in the league here, I just play a couple times a year with friends. I live in Toronto so I registered for the tourney, but fully expect to get my ass handed to me by the pros. And that is fine. BUT!!

I will be pissed if a bunch of "pros" use glitches I am unaware of to destroy me. Doesn't seem fair or sporting.

I am aware of the weight bug, but what is this b-c check thing? And can people share other glitches/exploits that the casual player will not be aware of? (Perhaps I should start a separate thread?)

I don't play in the league here, I just play a couple times a year with friends. I live in Toronto so I registered for the tourney, but fully expect to get my ass handed to me by the pros. And that is fine. BUT!!

I will be pissed if a bunch of "pros" use glitches I am unaware of to destroy me. Doesn't seem fair or sporting.

I am aware of the weight bug, but what is this b-c check thing? And can people share other glitches/exploits that the casual player will not be aware of? (Perhaps I should start a separate thread?)

This is what I'm thinking. We don't want all the new guys to be upset that we simply knew more about the game due to playing online. We want to nurture our noobs. I know lots of people like to think, I'll learn from my defeats, but the weight bug is simply something someone has to tell you. Who here figured it out on their own? And the CB check was discovered only about a year ago. It isn't hard-won personal knowledge*, it's community knowledge, and I think it would be nice if we let the new guys know. And I think some people will be left feeling sour when they get wrecked by the B check(trip) all day long.

aqualizard, the CB check was discovered by Plabax last year. It was the observation that the computer AI can check appropriately to weight, but the human player can't. So, what you do is, if you are a heavy player and you want to check a light player (normally impossible as a user unless against the boards (or you B-check/trip him), what you do is you press C to launch your check, but you press B before the check connects in order to give up control of that player. The player becomes a CPU player, and he checks properly -- heavy guy can check light guy.

* The CB was hard-won by Plabax, but he shared it

This is what I'm thinking. We don't want all the new guys to be upset that we simply knew more about the game due to playing online. We want to nurture our noobs. I know lots of people like to think, I'll learn from my defeats, but the weight bug is simply something someone has to tell you. Who here figured it out on their own? And the CB check was discovered only about a year ago. It isn't hard-won personal knowledge*, it's community knowledge, and I think it would be nice if we let the new guys know. And I think some people will be left feeling sour when they get wrecked by the B check(trip) all day long.

aqualizard, the CB check was discovered by Plabax last year. It was the observation that the computer AI can check appropriately to weight, but the human player can't. So, what you do is, if you are a heavy player and you want to check a light player (normally impossible as a user unless against the boards (or you B-check/trip him), what you do is you press C to launch your check, but you press B before the check connects in order to give up control of that player. The player becomes a CPU player, and he checks properly -- heavy guy can check light guy.

* The CB was hard-won by Plabax, but he shared it

Good points. I'll throw it in the faq

This is what I'm thinking. We don't want all the new guys to be upset that we simply knew more about the game due to playing online. We want to nurture our noobs. I know lots of people like to think, I'll learn from my defeats, but the weight bug is simply something someone has to tell you.

These are great points and I think you are 100% right about nurturing the noobs (like me!).

As Halifax says, having a section in the FAQ addressing "glitches/exploits" will go a long way in showing good faith to the casual gamer like myself. (It will have to have GENS and SNES sections, since they have different exploits, obviously.)

Can you thnk of other glitches/exploits to add? (Especially for Genesis!!)

Can you elaborate on the "pass goal"? (To me, I just noticed once in a blue moon a pass goes awry and finds its way into the net, but I have the impression you pros know how to use a pass to score as an advantge, not mrely a fluke?)

Passing at the net is, with some practice, really accurate and quick. For example, coming in on a breakaway, if you know your opponent will take goalie control, making it hard to deke him out, you can simply swing your stick out to the left or right a bit, and then press up (or down) towards the net and B, and the puck will fire straight up (or down), and if you've lined it up nicely, you can pick a corner faster than the goalie can react (both the AI goalie or the user goalie). I should mention that it doesn't go STRAIGHT up, but rather it incorporates any sideways momentum you have as well, which you need to account for. It takes some practice.

Some of the more advanced players have also perfected the diagonal pass shot, so they can pick the far corner from the faceoff dot beside the goalie.

EDIT: tomkabs shows how to do it http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/16995-how-to-score-on-computer-goalies/

#1 I think this is a great topic to get out.

#2 Any legislation of glitches will be very difficult.

#3 Rules about hard mechanics like pausing the game/editing lines etc.. are easy.

#4 At the end of the day it is important for all of us to support whatever Mikey and Halifax come up with as it is their tournament.

AND we should all be appreciative to them for putting it all together.

If you come to my tournament, you won't be editing lines or pausing the game after goals.

AngryJay93 still seemed to have a good time at my tourney, though I know he disagreed with this rule.

#5 NOOBS will be fine and may actually surprise.

While I agree that there are only a handful of guys who can WIN IT ALL.

Below that it will be competitive.

I played in GDL with a team I did not draft and did not like and while I only won 2 games I was very competitive with all but the best players and some of them (Plabax) won't be in Toronto.

When I played with Raph's team in the preseason tourney I did well.

Toronto will have no keyboards or fancy PS37 controllers. I played online with a 2 button controller (Original NES) so I had no A button.

Toronto will have only original teams on the original rom.

What bracket you turn out in will have a big impact on how you do.

It will be important to spread out the top guys both to the top guys and to bottom feeders like me and I'm sure Halifax and Mikey will do the best they can, but so much is unknown that you could turn out in a really tough opening bracket or a fairly easy one.

I think probably 1-2 unbeatable players per group of 8.

BOTTOM LINE.

It is gonna be great!

Edited by CoachMac

Wait wait wait.... I haven't seen this yet, a Strategy Guide??????? Thats Amazing Raph!!!!

Haha, you haven't seen it because it's brand new! Literally about 5% done, but I happen to have the weight bug/CB check page done, so it seemeed appropriate to post. I will make a more formal post on the strategy site soon.

Cool site Raph. :exciting:

As I practice for Toronto, my question is.......

Why not just B-check?

forget the C-button completely on defense.

B-checks seem devastating and simple just pure button mashing fun the way it was back in the 90's.

No need to worry about weight ever.

You get a speed boost with C, so you can hit people who are farther away. I think it was Depch who in the last classic league completely neutralized QUE's 3-weight Kovalenkov with CB checks. When I thought I was safe due to distance... I wasn't.

If you come to my tournament, you won't be editing lines or pausing the game after goals.

AngryJay93 still seemed to have a good time at my tourney, though I know he disagreed with this rule.

I don't understand why you'd have a rule like this at all. Care to elaborate?

So many people dislike line changes mid game you guys are insane :horror:

Edited by TomKabs93

not even editing lines after injuries? if you are playing no line changes and/or no fatigue, I can get why substitutions are mostly superfluous and interfering after the game starts, as you can account for eventualities aside from underperformance, but I think a limit of one substitution -- use your timeout -- is more fair. pausing after the goals is stupid, childish, cheap and fair. I won't pull that momentum-/crowd-killing bullshit first, but if you do it to me, I'll do it to you, dickhole.