NHL'94 Forums

2015 King of 94 game day

halifax

Ya we did go back to the other hotel (strathcona). Sorry for the misunderstanding bud! I think we were happy to play one on one. Two on two is not really our jam but was fun to try it.

Damn didn't know you guys were coming back to strathcona. I would've stopped in. Congrats the after party tourney win bud!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a great time playing and watching yesterday. Also shaking hands and playing against many players from the boards and leagues.

Big thanks to:

Evan - who's passion for the game is very obvious, and who created a site that has fuelled players to continually get better for the last number of years (even while multiple new game and games systems have been developed and marketed!)

Mikey - for putting in a tonne of work developing and promoting the event, the guy was the picture of cool all weekend (even in a Columbus jersey). RealSports was just perfect, great location and great buzz in the building.

Halifax - for organizing (while competing no less) and helping promote this event. It wasn't without it's hiccups early on, but the day just got better and better thanks to your hard work.

Smozoma - for creating a Google spreadsheet that tracked the scores and brackets like a boss. Who also happened to have a great day in the tournament.

KingRaph - for being an all around great ambassador for the game, and inviting a large group of guys to practice and play 2v2 in your suite. The tournament was awesome, but playing 2v2 live was a close second.

As for my experience, I went into Saturday with hope of winning one game. I managed 4 wins and obviously 3 losses (by amazing fluke of scheduling all to the same opponent) and came within a game of making the 4th seed in our group. I matched up against Evan's wife, CoachMac, and Witt and had a lot of fun, even in the losses to the Brazilian Stallion Roberto Z(ed).

Watched a tonne of matchups, following KGman, KingRaph and my dark horse pick TomKabs around. The final 3 games of the day were as intense as any sporting event I've ever witnessed, the the crowd reacting to every goal and penalty.

Even got to sneak outside and watch one of my favourite Leafs get a statue unveiled in Maple Leafs Square. Mats Sundin, Borje Salming, Mike Babcock, Brendan Shanahan all in attendance.

Also won a copy of NHL 16 thanks to a raffle ticket.

All for now, cheers to everyone I shook a hand with and played a game against.post-2394-0-04129900-1442154966_thumb.jp

Edited by jer_33

1000000% agree with all that Jer.

You guys really pulled off a successful tourney. Started a little rough (how could it not have) but in the end it was perfect. Darrel, you and Smoz really kep the fort together and things moving, all while trying to focus on your games too. Tough tough task doing one or the other, but both???? Thanks Thanks Thanks

I'll do more of a writeup when I'm home but just wanted to say it was awesome meeting all the buds and the whole event was beyond amazing. Kudos to halifax, chaos, Mikey and everyone else involved.

I'm still salty about losing though. Need to lick my wounds.

Edited by annatar

Biggest surprise to me was the amount of no shows. There were prob around 10 total I'd say. You pay to play but don't come? Nuts.

I think $45 is pretty reasonable to piss away especially if you have to travel a good distance and pay for accommodations. Where were the bulk of the no shows from? I know one was Calgary

I think $45 is pretty reasonable to piss away especially if you have to travel a good distance and pay for accommodations. Where were the bulk of the no shows from? I know one was Calgary

Good point. No idea that's a good question.

where's all the pics? wish I took more but hoping the rest of the buds post

No photos here, but I expect some quick edits from Mikey... :) Hope he got everything he needed for the documentary.

Thankful for the lack of Friday night photos, but probably not as much as the Pittsburgh guys. ;)

Crowd from left to right watching the Genesis game is Coach Mac,Seth, Zeppelin, Brutus, not sure who green hat is, CJ (Halifax's buddy), Ice (Sabres hat),Sebe, Evan, EA's gf (Jill), and I think EA.

jer_33 in the free green Gong Show hat. :)

Edited by jer_33

where's all the pics? wish I took more but hoping the rest of the buds post

I can help with that: http://imgur.com/a/oxcQ7.

#1 = Omega-Red and Etienne (sorry man didn't catch your forum name), front and center mid way through the tourney.

#2 = SNES finals

#3 = The SNES boys with Annatar repping proudly with a 2nd place finish. Dominant newcomer Mikael looks on from the background. Someone more proficient in technology than myself should get some text up to label the boys.

You guys better have another tournament next year. I want to go.

YES. One of my favourite days in recent memory. Darrell, Mikey, Evan and Smoz, and likely many more that I am not even aware of, deserve huge props for running a great tourney. Some real sharks out, including Mikael who was only really matched by Annatar and Bob Kudelski throughout the day. I never met him in tourney play so we ended up exchanging contact info -- I'll direct him to the site and get him set up with online play to see if anyone else can solve him.

I gotta be clear -- I had just a great f**king time. I knew it was worth the flight as soon as I walked into the building, and the solidarity between the forums guys made me feel at home, despite not actually seeing a season through in 5-6 years. The dark side of this development is that I am now counting down the days to the next Classic league.

It was an honour boys.

Edited by schwartz

Congrats to KG! He played like a champ from the beginning to end.

Here's a pic of KG W/ his trophy & all smiles because he's got &1k in his pocket!!!

Im pn the left & Coach is on the right.

post-6250-0-33424400-1442166158_thumb.jp

Edited by Brutus

Thanks to Everyone for making this weekend such a success!! Big time shout outs to Mcmickey and Halifax for organizing this crazy weekend Smoz for database and Evan and Egg president and first lady of nhl94! all my GENS budz .......Snes guys were great 2 chaos for the room .......Kingraph u played great and came down to last period of last game. Thank Brutus we connected right away amazing bud! Coach Mac my body guard! Kabs best 2on2 partner! Pittsburgh boys looking for me late at night:) Jesus wish u coulda been there thanks for the rare Gens dpad. Icestorm and Seth Upstate boys played real well ,ZEP and AJ great players..EA and his Girlfriend u guys are really fun to hang out with and EA76 def old school bud player...Sebe Toronto boy had my back also great player!!.....SWOS missed ya there bud best student of the game .............but i have to thank most of all, my cousin Alex who without all the live training games I no way would have been able to back up all my trash talking!!! and Kgboy training and who woke my up at 7:30am to drive me to the tourney. Ill never forget this weekend boys hope we can do this again real soon!!

Edited by kgman

Ya we did go back to the other hotel (strathcona). Sorry for the misunderstanding bud! I think we were happy to play one on one. Two on two is not really our jam but was fun to try it.

Damm it, we were in the Strathcona as well. Wonderful time and was glad to meet many of you.

Some personal shout outs to buds I had the pleasure of hanging out with over the weekend...

Darrell/halifax: You were all over the place, organizing everything, logging scores, and playing some damn good games too. We had an epic 8-7 game where everything was going in. Great to finally meet you bud.

John/chaos: Your lucky controller took me nearly all the way! I think at one point with you winning 5 straight to make it out of the group stage we had won 9 or 10 in a row with the same controller. You played awesome.

Adam/Bob Kudelski: Classy guy who brought his wife and mother-in-law to the bar, love it! You were stone cold with that focus, we only played once for keeps but of course it went to OT. Congrats on third place man I wish you had somehow found a way past Mikail so we could have had an all-forum final. It wasn't meant to be.

The boys from S'toon, tylerdeanhill, The90jacket/Cory and stheds/Brian: Hell of a time hanging out with you three, great buds, great players, this is what this forum is all about. I just need to come out to SK sometime and play for the jacket now.

Mike/snesboy: Rocking the Super Nintendo Chalmers Jays jersey, we didn't cross paths in the tourney but it was great to meet you and it looks like you played some super solid games, congrats on the top 10 finish!

Mat/schwartz: Straight outta Winnipeg, one of the most genuine buds out of a whole group of great buds, he bought me my shirt and had a bunch of the SNES boys sign it so I have a pretty sweet memento. One of the most dangerous players out there too with a top 5 finish, looking forward to crossing paths with you again. Also one of the funniest moments was Darrell just shutting down that guy who tried to crack a joke before the King of '94 games and me and you were losing it. You had to be there!

The other Adam/BoKnows: Your energy was contagious man and you were a tough opponent as always, I was thrilled to get past you in the final. Sweet Ron Francis jersey too.

Etienne/etevans and the Quebec crew, we didn't get to talk a lot but we had a great game and you guys looked like you were having a ton of fun, glad you made it! Top 10 finish for you too, congrats on the super solid play.

Shaftman: Rumor has it he does have a real name but after this weekend it's officially just Shaftman. Super nice bud and a solid player who had some bad luck in the group stage, sometime we will have to try to organize a Montreal meetup to get some games going.

Who else am I forgetting...

On the Genesis side with the schedule being pretty compact I didn't get to watch much of your games or hang out too much but have to shout out to Raph, Brutus and angryjay/Greg cause it was great to put faces to names for these guys who have been known to slum it with us SNESers on occasion. Raph was my mirror image in the Genesis bracket and his tough loss in the finals somehow makes me feel better about mine. Brutus/Doug also may have been responsible for the destruction of an SNES console but I won't hold it against you.

The best part for me was just how the SNES crew came together and supported each other against the pretty strong contingent of non-forum peeps, I was feeling it down the stretch and it definitely helped me go as far as I did.

There was honestly nobody I talked to from either system who wasn't a great guy. Unless that dude in the Wu-Tang hoodie is reading this, you were kinda sketchy man.