NHL'94 Forums

Fall'15 GENS Team Selection Draft

kingraph

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man Vancouver at 9th, I was in the wrong B division

Dude i wanted to take the Kings but having the chance of pick VAN at 9th?!!! I was obliged to go with them!!!

LIke a miracle!!!

Edited by Darko99

Draft Analysis

The stats show VAN to be valued appropriately. Possibly to high in B1 and to low in B2 but overall about right.

The question should be where is Dallas is B1? and why was PIT taken in either B League?

As we learned in Toronto it is all about preferences.

I chose MTL over Buffalo because Raph and AJ said a great goalie can cover for less skilled players and I can't c/b check so I liked their wt buggers and Patty Roy. Raph also said Offense wins Championships but I had to pick and BUF chemistry issues and trouble controlling Mogilnys speed made my decision, plus Montreal is a nicer town to spend the season in.

Gens B

10 of the 11 teams in each league are the same.

Dallas and LA are the exceptions with each playing in just one league.

9 of the 10 in B are also in A with Toronto being the only team not selected in A

NY Rangers, Philly, Edmonton, Quebec, and NY Islanders were selected in A as were Dallas and LA.

So ranking the 9 teams selected in all 3 leagues. (Raphs Rank)

CHI 1-1-2 = 4 (1)

DET 2-2-1 = 5 (2)

BUF 3-3-6 = 12 (3)

MTL 4-8-3 = 15 (4)

CGY 5-6-7 = 18 (5)

VAN 6-4-9 = 19 (6)

BOS 11-5-8 = 24 (7)

WPG 7-9-10 = 26 (9)

PIT 14-10-5 = 29 (17)

DAL 9-17-4 = 30 (8)

LA 13-7-17 = 37 (12)

TOR 17-11-11 = 39 (10)

PHI 8-17-17 = 42 (15)

NYR 10-17-17 = 44 (14)

EDM 12-17-17 = 46 (13)

QUE 15-17-17 = 49 (11)

NYI 16-17-17 = 50 (21)

Edited by CoachMac

That's amazing that the top 7 are in order. What if you include the teams not taken in all leagues? (Give them a value of 17 in the leagues they aren't in)

PIT is so great on paper! The right coach could do some real damage with them in B, especially if they learn the CB check

sometimes it may be that people want to use different teams. i know I passed on Van for that reason. For those that have played more seasons that becomes less of an issue.

I want an admin to take a stance on this one. I'll put my thesis on below.

-Team trades have been allowed on a full random draft system before? This however is an adjusted draft so should the rules of full random apply on these or no trades or?

-Allowing trades between this draft system might skew the whole adjusted tiers list. Let's make an example that player X picks Van early and fares badly on exis and wants his favourite team that was picked later on and agrees on a trade. This possibly nullifies the whole point of the draft and creates a problem that why not go full random. If trades between teams are to be allowed it needs rules.

-In current team draft system in A I could see this happen that Seth for example releases Quebec, then VC ditches Philly and takes Quebec instead. However we should go through the players does anyone above Seth want to have Philadelphia instead. This creates a problem with prolonging the draft though. And no, I would not take Philly over Boston so there is no selfish gain in presenting this kind of a scenario where the draft system still keeps the balance.

-And no, I don't think that a trade between Philadelphia and Quebec is horrible at all, a bit unbalanced, and as a trade I'd let this go through. This is more than about this specific trade.

What is the stance of league here? I want to have clear rules and how they stand in the future as well.

Edited by Depch

There is no rule for trading teams as I never thought about it (only crazies would trade teams 1 day after drafting :))

I agree that normally a trade between 8 and 14 would be bad in this system considering the better player would get the better team, but in this case you can argue Quebec is equal (if not better) than Philly, so I don't think it's a big deal.

It does raise the question and something I'll think about for the next team draft.

There is no rule for trading teams as I never thought about it (only crazies would trade teams 1 day after drafting :))

I agree that normally a trade between 8 and 14 would be bad in this system considering the better player would get the better team, but in this case you can argue Quebec is equal (if not better) than Philly, so I don't think it's a big deal.

It does raise the question and something I'll think about for the next team draft.

Ok, it is sufficient that the possible problems around this are acknowledged and will be addressed. As a direct trade I think the team trade is Ok as well, but I do think it sucks if anyone between VC & Seth would've chosen Phi instead their current team.

I think this issue is relatively straight forward but a rule for switching teams in Classic League should be put into place.

Either it's allowed or it isn't.

I think if it is allowed, you run the chance of a coach who may not plan on being committed to the season switch teams with another coach allowing a potential overwhelming advantage.

I tend to lean to the don't allow switching teams but the point of the league is to have fun. If that means more people have fun b/c they are allowed to switch, then that works for me..

I'm fine with either choice but a rule will set clear expectations for everyone.

Yeah, after thinking about this over the morning, I'll just make it clear no team switching next time. Add/drop is fine for another available team. We'll let this one slide for all the reasons stated, and set to have a fun season!

Yeah, after thinking about this over the morning, I'll just make it clear no team switching next time. Add/drop is fine for another available team. We'll let this one slide for all the reasons stated, and set to have a fun season!

Does "Add/drop is fine for another available team" mean that a coach can swap their chosen team for a non-drafted team?

And if yes, is this only before the season starts? Or at any point?

Does "Add/drop is fine for another available team" mean that a coach can swap their chosen team for a non-drafted team?

And if yes, is this only before the season starts? Or at any point?

Only right after the draft. No switching during the season.

If there were more people (other than just Swos) who had an issue with the trade itself thinking it wasn't even, I'd consider not going through with it. But it's literally only him, 1 out of the 16 guys in the A bracket. That tells me it's not an issue for the other 94% of us.

Philly isss better than Quebec

Especially with home/away advantages in classic, Philly is a boosted team

You can say Quebec is good on paper all you want, but nobody has had great success with them because together they are bad. They're world famous for looking good but playing awful

Philly isss better than Quebec

Especially with home/away advantages in classic, Philly is a boosted team

You can say Quebec is good on paper all you want, but nobody has had great success with them because together they are bad. They're world famous for looking good but playing awful

You may be onto something...Quebec's Classic History doesn't look very good:

Spring'08 - IceStorm first round loss to theg8199 (STL)

Spring'09 - Sebe first round loss to FPB (VAN)

Fall'09 - skoolyardpuck misses playoffs

Spring'10 - Angryjay first round loss to HABS (PHI)

Fall'10 - SuperDave first round loss to Zalex (MTL)

Spring'11 - hokkeefan misses playoffs

Fall'11 - Zalex first round loss (after bye) to Vocally Caged (BUF)

Spring'12 - BoKnows misses playoffs

Fall'12 - da94wookiee misses playoffs

Spring'13 - BoKnows misses playoffs

Fall'13 - Not used

Fall'14 - LA Robbie Beat Jesus (PIT) round 1. 2nd round loss to Sicarius (LAK).

Spring'15 - smozoma misses playoffs

Fall'15 - Vocally Caged …

Trade retracted (through Seth and Voc negotiations). Send Uncle back to Que and Voc back to the land of cheese steaks. We're both fine with it. Those who know me know I wasn't trying to attain a "better" team, just a team more suited to my style.

Edited by Uncle Seth

Now I have to rewrite my Vegas odds piece! Okay, rule from now on is no more trades!

I'll touch base with Chaos on timing of Classic start. If you're really itching to go, B league guys play each other 4x and in A you will play everyone at least twice. So you can play and save the states if you're anxious. :)