NHL'94 Forums

NHL16 by naples39

naples39

I've been pretty busy recently and haven't been able to test this as much as I hoped, but I figured it's about time I uploaded this.

Comments welcome. I don't plan on doing frequent updates other than bugs, although maybe a mid-season ratings update or something.

I will definitely do a trade deadline update.

Enjoy!

nhl2016-naples39.zip

Cool intro. The whole speed burst reduction is something I might take a trial run at. I do find that aspect annoying w/ penalties off to have a guy hunt you down from behind all the time w/ the light buggers.

How many break aways did Mario ALMOST make in our lives?!? lol.

Is it a weight bug fixed or classic style, and with that in mind, how did that effect the ratings you gave the players?

Looks awesome and I love the trailer (awesome work, for real), except that for future renditions, I think you need to be wearing hockey gloves when you are standing there holding the hockey stick, at the beginning as the cover guy. Did you watch the Road to the Winter Classic - SJS/ LAK from last year? Remember when the LA Kings went to DC? Remember when Coach Darryl Sutter was standing next to the Grand Pubah, how clueless the Pubah looked holding the stick (his top hand was like upside down and backward or something- he looked so awkward), and how terrified Sutter looked standing next to him? Sutter was looking at him like, "What the hell is he doing?" and then could not get away, quickly enough haha. From now on, whenever I see a guy holding a stick without gloves, I always think of this moment (which was hilarious, but one does not want to be associated with this event).

Hey naples39, don't know if you remember me from the 90s "deadline" ROMs, but I'm glad to see you're still modding NHL 94! I myself have moved onto NHL 2004 modding so I'm not around as much as I used to be. I liked what I saw in the 2016 preview and am excited that you have taken on modern NHL updates. I will definitely be adding this to my play time rotation between NHL 2004 mods and NHL Legacy, so thank you for your continued work!

Hey naples39, don't know if you remember me from the 90s "deadline" ROMs, but I'm glad to see you're still modding NHL 94! I myself have moved onto NHL 2004 modding so I'm not around as much as I used to be. I liked what I saw in the 2016 preview and am excited that you have taken on modern NHL updates. I will definitely be adding this to my play time rotation between NHL 2004 mods and NHL Legacy, so thank you for your continued work!

Hey, what's up. I was just playing this ROM yesterday thinking you wouldn't have approved of all the organ tunes being out of order!!

• 2 weeks later...

Now, I know that it is usually considered as a bit of a faux pas to make and/or release a ROM hack of a ROM hack, depending on what is done with it, but I would say that this particular build is significant and relevant enough to be available on here, consider it to be a gift and optimization of sorts.

This was an Over the Weekend mini~project that I had decided to undergo, provided that the build of NHL '94: 20I6 Edition on here is as complete as it could be roster~wise, yet had suffered some technical and graphical issues that were barely yet still noticeable nonetheless.

The "Revision 0I" build, as I will refer to it as, bears the following changes to the original release:

~ The visual template used is the one that I had made while working on MIAA Women's Hockey 20I5 ~ Volume 02: Skaters of the East West, this build now bears The Zana GX Font and uses palette changes that resemble that of the official boxart for NHL 'I6.

The Blue Ice that is presented in this build is actually a preview of what to expect when I do get around to working completely on MIAA Women's Hockey 20I5 ~ Volume 03: Hockey Pilgrims, it is present in this build for Eye Care reasons, especially for those Late Night and After Dark gaming sessions.

~ The Menu and Scoreboard Text that is being used utilizes the font that Hackmaster Mack had used for his Mack's Hacks and GoodGen build of NHL '07.

This is being used to make the look of the game feel a bit more modernized, I had felt that it had worked well for the visual structure of this title and it looks a bit more attractive than the original font in select ways.

~ For Gameplay Speed reasons, the Weight Scale has been bumped back to the year I950, you will notice that it does not play as slow, when compared to the Revision 00 build.

At the same time, Smozoma's Hot and Cold Randomizer (Fix 04) is being used for handling the way that the game feels every single time that you play it; this probably will help out those that have a rough time playing on the Hot and Cold Fixed Number method (Fix 05), and will assist for easier gameplay in the long run.

~ Accuracy with the commentary is everything, and provided that NBC Sports Network is the group running the show with the NHL titles nowadays, Barry Melrose has been replaced by Mike Emrick and Ed Olczyk (known as Doc and Eddie in~game, respectively) for the Commentary/Matchups Screen.

Wishfully, that is a very welcome change, as having Doc and Eddie in the game for accuracy purposes sounds reasonable, makes absolute sense when comparing the Megadrive version to the Generation VIII consoles' counterpart.

~ Timer Settings are exactly the same as the Revision 00 build, but they have different names.

Short Game is the 05 Minute setting, Lucky Game is 07 Minute, OWR (Official World Record) Game is 0I0 Minute, and NHL Game is the 020 Minute setting, bear that in mind if you are confused on what they mean if you were coming into this without reading this description.

~ The Remixed Music that you hear in this build is a part of a preview that I am using for Hockey Pilgrims' Revision 00 build, please bear in mind that this does not apply to the Organ Cues though.

Depending on when you go to the Main Menu or Matchups Screen, you will be able to hear the song play a little differently every single time, the OST is no longer the same with a major luxury such as this, and that is why I love Instrument DF ever so much when doing Music Hacking for this title, it allows for the listener to have a randomized experience with the music depending on which frame that they decide to change tracks.

You may download the unofficial Revision 0I build of NHL '94: 20I6 Edition from the below link.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/reb2r8x55bwug9y/NHL_%2794_%7E_20I6_Edition_%28JUE%29_%5B%21%5D_%28Revision_0I%29.rar

What might surprise some of you folks that are not familiar with my works on here be that this revision had only taken a matter of hours across two separate days, hence why I had referred to this as an Over the Weekend mini~project, it is pretty easy to work on this with what I now know with the Thirty Team ROM, as well as having my notes and templates on Standby to instantly send them over to another title without error.

Now, I do not intend for this build to deprecate what Naples39 has already delivered to us, by any probable means, for he still deserves all of the credit for taking the time to implement the rosters, Player Card icons and everything else that he has done to make this incarnation of NHL 'I6 possible for us; this build is mostly a graphical and musical enhancement, above anything else, so in the event that you want to play the game with a more detailed look and sound, then this be what you would take for a spin, but the original Revision 00 build is still the original regardless, I could not ever take credit for that out of respect for the original release in its entirety.

Either way though, if you do enjoy this incarnation of the ROM hack, then that be what counts here in full.

It's simply the same game with a different look and feel, all the while optimizing what made the original ever so well acclaimed and cherished across the past 020 days, anything to have this game recognized in much brighter of a spotlight, Naples39's title truly does deserve it in full. (:

EDIT (January 03 of 20I6): Those 066 of you that have gone out of your way to download this particular build at the time of the original release of this post, please re~download the ROM image, I had to make a fix that was causing New Jersey to crash in the menus and gameplay.

Apparently, one of the players from the Scoring 0I and Penalty Kill lines was missing, so I had to put other players in the respective slots as placeholders to prevent the crash from happening; if they are not NHL Accurate, then please do go out of your way to adjust this accordingly, anything to make the game as optimal as it probably could be.

Other than that, the ROM image is nearly perfect to play with, feel free to have fun with it however probable.

It's NHL 'I6 at its current finest, lovely design, music, and all; with that said, folks, enjoy! (:

Edited by Royameadow

• 1 month later...

Looks cool, nice work. I have to say, the speed burst reductions are a fun killer. It basically turns the game back more towards the original weight bug nonsense where big guys are pretty much useless. Your defensemen are going to get toasted and every pass up the ice turns into a breakaway. I wouldn't mind the reduced speed burst if you could still check and slow defensemen didn't play such stupid angles. I'm ok with a reduction to 19 or maybe 18 (the original is 20 multiplier I believe in that hex) along with a ratings scale of 15 where there is less drastic difference in speed ratings, but anything below that and the fun level starts to drop.

Looks cool, nice work. I have to say, the speed burst reductions are a fun killer. It basically turns the game back more towards the original weight bug nonsense where big guys are pretty much useless. Your defensemen are going to get toasted and every pass up the ice turns into a breakaway. I wouldn't mind the reduced speed burst if you could still check and slow defensemen didn't play such stupid angles. I'm ok with a reduction to 19 or maybe 18 (the original is 20 multiplier I believe in that hex) along with a ratings scale of 15 where there is less drastic difference in speed ratings, but anything below that and the fun level starts to drop.

Hmmm, I'll consider that. I wouldn't want big guys to be useless. Thanks for the tip.

Hmmm, I'll consider that. I wouldn't want big guys to be useless. Thanks for the tip.

I don't know, maybe some guys like the way the game plays that way and wanted some of that "small guy" dominance back. I personally think that having clear paths to the net constantly is just as unrealistic..and requires less creativity in scoring..then having Shea Weber catch Tyler Seguin from behind. The only reason he got beat in the first place is that he took a terrible angle to the puck because the computer is dumb.

Those same guys probably also love Pavel Bure and the weight bug, where as I think it's the absolute worst thing about the original NHL94 that the saviors on this site thankfully destroyed. Removing it only partially levels the playing field, maneuverability is still very important.