NHL'94 Forums

Switching from Home to Visitor quickly

aqualizard

Hello and Good Day!

I am in the Classic B1 league, and tend to play opponents 4 games in a row, two home and two away.

What is yhe fastest way to switch from Home to Away?

Currently, I drop the game in Kailera, close K down completley, then close the ROM. This means I have to re-open everything I shut down. Is it really necessary to close the ROM? Common sense tells me I should just be able to drop the game, close the 2nd Kailera window, and choose Connect instead of Host from the primay Kailera window, but this never seems to work. I end up having to close Kailera and the ROM entirely, as I described.

So what is the fastest way to switch? Do I have to close the ROM?

1. <CTRL><C> in gens (will drop the game in netplay)

2. Close netplay screen

3. Host or join

..also, if you right-click the opponent in hamachi you can copy the IP address and paste it when joining a game.

When I first started I would have to copy and replace the Gens.cfg file constantly as GENS would freeze when I left a netplay session. Using the method above, I rarely have to restart GENS (though I'll only usually have a 4 game session).

1 close ROM

2 close kaillera

3 open kaillera

Pretty sure that's the best that can be done? Takes like 5 seconds

Just to be clear, you are able to close the ROM without closing kailera? Because when I try that, I get a message like "Cannot do this action while Netplay is active" or something similar. I always have to close Kailera first (unless I am missing something).

1. <CTRL><C> in gens (will drop the game in netplay)

2. Close netplay screen

3. Host or join

So to be clear, you do not close the ROM at all? You just close the Netplay screen (the 2nd Kailera screen)?

Because this is what I *feel* like I should be able to do, but it never works and I end up having to close the ROM (or the whole damn thing hangs and I have to start from scratch opening gens.exe.)

Just to be clear, you are able to close the ROM without closing kailera? Because when I try that, I get a message like "Cannot do this action while Netplay is active" or something similar. I always have to close Kailera first (unless I am missing something).

Yes, that's how it works for me. I'm using gens rerecording.

If I close the kaillera window first, the emulator often crashes.

If you feel like trying to get lucky, and your team and your opponent's team are coded to be in the same conference, you could try and set up a best of 7 playoff series and hope that you're offered the exact matchup of your teams. Two home games and then two away games as long as you continue the series.

I didn't say it would be easy.

Yes, that's how it works for me. I'm using gens rerecording.

If I close the kaillera window first, the emulator often crashes.

"Gens rerecording"? Is this different than "gens.exe" and "gens-netplaysave.exe"?

So to be clear, you do not close the ROM at all? You just close the Netplay screen (the 2nd Kailera screen)?

Because this is what I *feel* like I should be able to do, but it never works and I end up having to close the ROM (or the whole damn thing hangs and I have to start from scratch opening gens.exe.)

That's right, Gens and the rom remain active. Doing it this way I rarely run into the error messages, nor does GENS simply freeze on me.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I am going to try Jer_33's approach (intuitively I don't feel like should have to close the ROM) and if it doesn't work, download smozoma's link and try his approach.

If neither works for me I will just keep doing what I do (with random crashes and whatnot) and be thankful it is even possible to play at all.

Edited by aqualizard

I am going to try Jer_33's approach (intuitively I don't feel like should have to close the ROM) and if it doesn't work, download smozoma's link and try his approach.

Jer's method works great and is really quick to get next game going