NHL'94 Forums

Welcome to the NHL Velocity League

skip

Welcome to the NVL!

Basics:

Full Stats/Standings League

44 game regular season with 18 teams

5 minute periods

No line changes; penalties on/offside off. 10 minute OT.

Full playoffs - Top 10 get in (7-game series)

Weight bug fixed (Blitz Version of WBF)

Hot/Cold to be accurate in edit lines (all categories hot or cold)

12-round player draft (6 fwds, 4 dmen, 2 goalies) randomized order, snake draft

Trading allowed. Allowing 5 total moves (FA + Trades) per GM, in pre-season only

*Late clarification: True WBF (Checking Rating matters = Blitz)

*DNP = -2 Pts at end of season for playoff position per DNP. Each DNP adds +3 "pts" to draft position for next season. Anyone with 7+ DNP's will be put into the bottom of the draw for next season's draft. DNP's will be enforced on a case-by-case basis. Common Case: If one player has played 85-95% of games, but did not play a "MIA" player or two, it will not count against the active player, but the inactive(s) only.

General Manager and Team Finalization Date:

Thursday, November 5th

Draft Order to be set on Nov. 6th

Draft Unofficial Start:

Sunday, November 8th - Noon Eastern Time (This is when people can begin picking)

Draft Official Start Date:

Friday, November 13th - 4pm Eastern Time (Begin Deadlines)

Draft Ends on Tuesday, Nov. 17th

Trade Deadline:

Sunday, November 29th at 4pm Eastern

Lineups Due:

Friday, December 4th

League Start Date:

Sunday, December 13th

League Regular Season End Date (Target):

Sunday, February 14th

Let me know if you have any questions! Please join the waitlist if you're interested.

-Skip

P.S. - I will be away from December 6th-16th, so I may need a hand to get things going for the first few days. I timed everything out because I know it takes some time to get the site up after the rosters are finalized. Hope to stick to these dates. I'd actually love to move the draft start to this weekend, but it may be a bit late for that.

NHL16v3.zip

NVLpreseasonV1.bin

Edited by skip

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a note: I had to remove Plabax already. I want to have the best players in the league, but not at the expense of the league deteriorating due to one poor attitude about everything. I invite you to check out the AIM convo, it is all there, and it really is baffling to me. I want nothing to do with that guy, so I hope you are all ok with this.

I've been on the site for about a year. There are a lot of great buds on here: Darko, Labs, Lupz, JV, chaos, slapshot...I can go on and on. Good dudes, having fun, having good games, helping out with ROMs. But others find it better to make this place something that it doesn't need to be. We have enough conflict in our personal lives to have it here. And, I am not one to always dislike conflict. Sometimes it is needed and positive and enacts change. But, other times, it is just a useless effort. In this case, just like countless others, whatever Plabax wanted to argue went down his one linear path. It goes from "I'm helping" to pure criticisms and personal attacks, then makes light of the entire thing. He is the kind of person that I want nothing to do with, in any way, shape or form. I wish him well.

I am the commish of this league, but I am not ruling this with some kind of iron fist. I have to end any connection I have to that dude. And if it means he will kick me out of GDL in retaliation, and without reason, then so be it. I've done nothing wrong to be kicked out of any league. But I am ok with it because I am ok with what I am doing here.

Have fun!

Skip

Please.. lol. I helped out with your ROM, did I not? I still have the chat logs of you asking me to send you links, and thanking me so much for introducing you to things you never knew. Come on man. Didn't I test with you on multiple occasions when nobody else was around to play with you?

There comes a time when you have to realize there is nothing wrong with criticism. You even took my criticism the last time. So what I laughed because you rated Milan Michalek a 3 in agility and a 3 in speed? Fact is, Milan Michalek is a great skater, and I am free to laugh in your face if you think he is not. To make things more clear, I only laughed because you claimed that you spent "years" rating these players and you also made a comment similar to "f**k NHL 16's ratings", so to see that Michalek was the worst skater on the Ottawa Senators made me chuckle. Because you are not getting paid to do this it does not mean I can't criticize or take little shots at errors in the ratings. Chill out man.

Edited by Premium

@plabax cool, thanks. But you can just do your own thing. I don't want drama in this league unless it's a one-goal game. And just to educate you, the last time, you asked if I ran smoz hacks, and I said no and that I'd never hear of them. And I thank you now as I thanked you then, because smoz hacks are sick. And the exis with you were fun. But, for real, when will you actually "get it"? I really worry about you, bud. :)

@TK - not sure if you're supporting plabax just because, but ok.

Edited by skip

He showed me the logs and explained the situation. It just seems like you're being a big baby about nothing.

Yeah Plabax can be a dick sometimes, but kicking him out of your league because you're mad that he disagrees with your Milan Michalek rating is kinda crazy. I think you need some thicker skin.

He showed me the logs and explained the situation. It just seems like you're being a big baby about nothing.

Yeah Plabax can be a dick sometimes, but kicking him out of your league because you're mad that he disagrees with your Milan Michalek rating is kinda crazy. I think you need some thicker skin.

Yeah, that is exactly what I mean, it isn't just this incident. If this were the first issue with him, it wouldn't really be an issue. You know nothing about me, so don't worry about it.

If you didn't notice, this has very little to do with Milan Michalek. This has everything to do with making a big deal out of a scrub, and calling the commish out in public.

Guys who create roms and runs leagues do not need thicker skin - they need coaches who appreciate their work and don't s**t on it in public.

There comes a time when you have to realize there is nothing wrong with criticism. You even took my criticism the last time. So what I laughed because you rated Milan Michalek a 3 in agility and a 3 in speed? Fact is, Milan Michalek is a great skater, and I am free to laugh in your face if you think he is not. To make things more clear, I only laughed because you claimed that you spent "years" rating these players and you also made a comment similar to "f**k NHL 16's ratings", so to see that Michalek was the worst skater on the Ottawa Senators made me chuckle. Because you are not getting paid to do this it does not mean I can't criticize or take little shots at errors in the ratings. Chill out man.

Yes, the basis of all sound arguments, laughing in someones face, heavy criticism, and shot taking. Well done

Losing your mind because Michalek's skating may be misrepresented? Chill out man.

If you read what skip was saying in the group chat, it sounded like he was bragging about his ratings. "I've been working on this for years! f**k NHL 16 haha".. So when I saw that he made a bad error in the ratings, I found it was funny. What's wrong with that?

Me - "Milan Michalek 3/3 skating. lol!! Should be 5/5"

skip - "Now get through all the 800 players and not just the ones you have a boner for"

Me - "Milan Michalek is known to be a speedster. How can he be 3/3?

skip - "Because not everyone can have a 5"

Me - "So is the decision on who can have a 5 or not randomly generated?"

skip - "Just drop out if you are going to act like that"

Does that really scream heavy criticism? Come on, that's not heavy criticism. You are going to make a ROM, get the ratings wrong, and get mad when someone "calls you out" for it? Give me a break. It's not a little nitpick just to be a b***h. I'm not saying he should have 4 pass instead of 3 pass, or 3 defensive awareness instead of 4. I'm saying he should be 5/5 and not 3/3. The difference is huge. For someone who was going to be a starting player on my team, I found it was important to have their ratings right, that's all. I thought you would look at my comment and fix it instead of getting defensive because the last time I pointed a flaw out in your ROM you went to fix it. :glare:

If you didn't notice, this has very little to do with Milan Michalek. This has everything to do with making a big deal out of a scrub, and calling the commish out in public.

Guys who create roms and runs leagues do not need thicker skin - they need coaches who appreciate their work and don't s**t on it in public.

Whether he is a scrub or not is irrelevant because we are playing NHL '94 and he is a scrub in REAL LIFE. This isn't Yahoo Fantasy Hockey.. this is NHL '94 where you only need stick handling and agility to be a good player. So what he sucks in real life? Translate him into NHL '94 and he'll be a star. The best players in the real world aren't going to be the best players in the ROM. It's just how it is. Look at Price, he's too fat to be a dominant goalie in NHL '94. Rask and Lundqvist are clearly better than Price in the ROM, but not in real life.

I was going to draft Michalek, he was going to be my top scorer and he would have outscored your whole team combined. Michalek essentially is just a much better version of Esa Tikkanen, who has high draft stock in weight bug fixed leagues. There are only 24 players in the ROM, with great skating and great stickhandling paired with a good shot. Ovechkin and Michalek are the ONLY ones who are heavy. If you had a bunch of guys who knew what they were doing, Michalek would go in before mid-round 2 or round 3.

Whether he is a scrub or not is irrelevant because we are playing NHL '94 and he is a scrub in REAL LIFE. This isn't Yahoo Fantasy Hockey.. this is NHL '94 where you only need stick handling and agility to be a good player. So what he sucks in real life? Translate him into NHL '94 and he'll be a star. The best players in the real world aren't going to be the best players in the ROM. It's just how it is. Look at Price, he's too fat to be a dominant goalie in NHL '94. Rask and Lundqvist are clearly better than Price in the ROM, but not in real life.

I was going to draft Michalek, he was going to be my top scorer and he would have outscored your whole team combined. Michalek essentially is just a much better version of Esa Tikkanen, who has high draft stock in weight bug fixed leagues. There are only 24 players in the ROM, with great skating and great stickhandling paired with a good shot. Ovechkin and Michalek are the ONLY ones who are heavy. If you had a bunch of guys who knew what they were doing, Michalek would go in before mid-round 2 or round 3.

Can't wait to play your rom.

I have almost completed my classic regular season and GDL is over for me so I'll be having plenty of free time ahead. I know I am not too keen about weight bug fixed leagues, but I enjoyed fantasy tournament with it, which had a faster pace and there are many fast players in this rom. I would be willing to give this a go and get in.

If the team values are as they stand of now, I would like to have Minnesota. If they can be adjusted to your liking or will be reset to a certain value for all teams, I'll take Florida. :)

I also would have some feedback on a few player attributes, of players I've followed more for some time, but no need to go there, creating the rom and league is respected enough, but if you want some feedback, I'll provide it.

Edited by Depch

Can't wait to play your rom.

You definitely played my NHL '13 ROM and I'll have to get the chat logs of you praising my work.

If you look at it, changing player ratings in NOSE is not even "hard work or effort", it's just time consuming. It's not hard to rate a couple of stars and then throw in some random numbers for 95% of the players you don't watch.

It's like someone invites you over for a steak dinner and you stand up at the table, gather a crowd and go on a 2 hour rant about how he undercooked the potatoes.

Well just that one potato, really.

Then wonder why he never invites you back.

And how he was looking forward to having that one particular potato, perfectly cooked to his exact specifications, that was going to go under the radar for everyone else

one of the top 25 players in the ROM (who would be on my team) had a mistake that made him one of the worst!! Why would I complain? Silly me.

Now someone in the top 25/800 players is compared to one undercooked potato in a steak dinner.. lol! good jokes man.

For what it's worth, Michalek would be a 5/5 skater in his SJ Sharks days, but after a couple of knee operations, he's a shadow of his former self. I would put him at 4/4 skating and I'm a huge Sens fan.

4/4 skating.. like Bobby Ryan and Mark Borowiecki? lol

For what it's worth, Michalek would be a 5/5 skater in his SJ Sharks days, but after a couple of knee operations, he's a shadow of his former self. I would put him at 4/4 skating and I'm a huge Sens fan.

Yeah, I tend to agree here with you Bob but I might even go so far as to say that Michalek was a 4/5 or 4/4 in his SJ days. He had to have knee surgery after his 2nd career game so we may never know his true top speed on NHL ice. I watched SJ nightly and Michalek never showed me a whole lot of side to side wiggle or even pure straight line speed that compared to the likes of Patrick Marleau.

one of the top 25 players in the ROM (who would be on my team) had a mistake that made him one of the worst!! Why would I complain? Silly me.

Now someone in the top 25/800 players is compared to one undercooked potato in a steak dinner.. lol! good jokes man.

Funny thing about rankings, when one guy drops out of the top 25, a new one jumps in.