NHL'94 Forums

Welcome to the NHL Velocity League

skip

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all relative. I would say Borowiecki is a 3/3 or even 2's! and Ryan is probably a 4/3 or vice versa.

That's the problem - everyone is 4/4 and then Michalek is a 3/3. It's a clear error. If the slowest guys ever have 4 speed, why doesn't Michalek? Michalek is definitely faster than the average player (4 speed), so 5 speed makes sense IMO. Guys like AJ and BobK saying Michalek is a 4/4 skater are funny. Michalek is known to be a speedster who has size.

I'm pretty sure Michalek won the Fastest Skater Challenge during the 2014 Sens Skills Competition and his time was the second or third best in franchise history or something like that. He would have lost narrowly to Colin Greening, who was in the finals (I think) of the Fastest Skater challenge at the 2012 All-Star Skills Competition.

He's just Esa Tikkanen with a real shot and great stick-handling. We all know that Esa Tikkanen is drafted high ONLY because of his WEIGHT that is paired with his speed. The charm to Tikkanen is that he literally is the only heavy forward in the game that is a great skater. In this ROM, Michalek and Ovechkin would be the only ones who have this trait. Who doesn't like fast people who can't be body checked down? :)

It's like someone invites you over for a steak dinner and you stand up at the table, gather a crowd and go on a 2 hour rant about how he undercooked the potatoes.

Well just that one potato, really.

Then wonder why he never invites you back.

I'd like to be invited for the steak dinner next time

Hey budz, I am honestly not up to date on current teams or players, so please just give me whatever the next "logical" team would be. I'm not picky, bad teams make me better :)

Hey JV, your team won't matter because there is going to be a draft. So the team you choose is just a city, it's up to you who is on your team.

Hey, I don't see AtomicRaven on that list? Can you plz add him? He told me he doesn't care what team.

Teams (not the draft order)

1. Skip (Boston)

2. Jer (Toronto)

3. Icestorm (Buffalo)

4. Labs (Pittsburgh)

5. Darko (Detroit)

6. Dcicon (Chicago)

7. Sicarius (St. Louis)

8. Maverick (Montreal)

9. Burdy (Philadelphia)

10. Lupz (NY Rangers)

11. AquaLizard (Tampa Bay)

12. Depch (Minnesota)

13. WallyWojo (Winnipeg)

14. Riboot (Florida)

15. Brutus (Washington)

16. JackVandal (NY Islanders)

17. Wittgenstein (Edmonton)

18. Seano7302 (Columbus)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Are we going to start the draft early or waiting for timeslots?

Draft Unofficial Start:

Sunday, November 8th - Noon Eastern Time (This is when people can begin picking)

Draft Official Start Date:

Friday, November 13th - 4pm Eastern Time (Begin Deadlines)

Draft Ends on Wednesday, Nov. 18th

Trade Deadline:

Sunday, November 29th at 4pm Eastern

Lineups Due:

Friday, December 4th

League Start Date:

Sunday, December 13th

League Regular Season End Date (Target):

Sunday, February 14th

Hey, I don't see AtomicRaven on that list? Can you plz add him? He told me he doesn't care what team.

Teams (not the draft order)

1. Skip (Boston)

2. Jer (Toronto)

3. Icestorm (Buffalo)

4. Labs (Pittsburgh)

5. Darko (Detroit)

6. Dcicon (Chicago)

7. Sicarius (St. Louis)

8. Maverick (Montreal)

9. Burdy (Philadelphia)

10. Lupz (NY Rangers)

11. AquaLizard (Tampa Bay)

12. Depch (Minnesota)

13. WallyWojo (Winnipeg)

14. Riboot (Florida)

15. Brutus (Washington)

16. JackVandal (NY Islanders)

17. Wittgenstein (Edmonton)

18. Seano7302 (Columbus)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Still waiting for GoPens94 to confirm he is in. If we don't get a 20th, we'll have to lose one team or find another GM.

I'd like to point out 3 things, with #1 being the only important one, the other two more notes/opinions.

#1 There are two type of weight bug fixes. The first one just fixed the error in the original GENS game, and made it so heavy guys can check light guys. The second one SMOZ added in CHECKING skill into the equation to enable players with a high check rating to actually check better. The first option is generally labelled as WBF rom, and the second is generally described as Blitz rom.

It would be important PRIOR to the draft to KNOW which one we are using.

#2 There are a lot of players in this ROM w/ very high stick control. Newer coaches need to be aware that the B check might not work as easy as normal, and you will find guys with stick handling 5 & higher to be tougher to knock down at times. Think of Classic, when some times fat Mario on Pitt is just not going down even though he normally does. This is usually because of his high stick control, and you can't knock him down from certain angles, etc. I just wanted to highlight this so come draft day, coaches are prepared that no matter what your team LOOKS like, the other 15-20 teams you will be playing are going to have way different rosters than what you are accustomed to defending, and try to keep that in mind.

#3 I'm going to agree w/ Plabax's points but with an asterisk. If you have a ROM full of guys w/ great skating, and Chara's big arse is a 3/3 McSorley style, I would think that someone who is known for skating better would expect to get a better rating than that. I also have dealt with Plabax's arguing style, and it normally does lead one to telling him to go f-himself. And, all the guys w/ more class to their demeanor have clearly stated a guy like Plabax should not be publicly calling out Skip. I'm going to agree that his rant on the league AIM chat was wrong, and lead to the early dismissal, but that's not really a "PUBLIC" calling out. Skip posted here kicking him out. However, I think it was more the EXPECTATION of what Plabax was going to be like to manage that got him kicked out more than just the AIM rant about one player.

I do think anyone creating a league on the site w/ the ROM should expect feedback from all players, some positive and some negative. For me, it 1000% percent will not be anything close to resembling Classic, because the ROM is all out of whack because real life doesn't translate easily into NHL94, imo (as Plabax pointed on goalies, etc). BUT, just like when we did that tournament where we created our own teams w/ a set number of rating points, IT WILL STILL play like NHL'94!!!

And that of course will make it awesome! Look forward to our games buds, and thanks for the invite Skip.

Via AIM league chat, Skip wants to have CHECKING including in the equation like in Blitz.

? now becomes, DOES the ROM he made already have this?

And if not, is it easy to add/fix?

ALSO, BIGGEST POINT, draft w/ CHECKING being included in your values if you want to C check people.

So here is what I did for the ROM:

Wboys original 30-team ROM with WBF added in manually. So, that should not have done what I wanted it to do (include chk rating as a piece of hitting)...but,

I did run this through Smoz rom hack. So, the q is - did that WBF do the blitz fix? If it does, then we should be all good. I will take a deeper look at this in the morning.

I don't think we have 20 any more. I haven't heard back from GoPens94, so I am not counting him for now. I'd have to add a new coach (ideal) or drop the last confirmed coach (not ideal). Spread the word, there is a spot open.

Quebec isn't in this league, so I will give you Colorado :-) I hear they have something better than poutine there.

Rocky Mountain Oysters. You guys would love them

I'd like to point out 3 things, with #1 being the only important one, the other two more notes/opinions.

#1 There are two type of weight bug fixes. The first one just fixed the error in the original GENS game, and made it so heavy guys can check light guys. The second one SMOZ added in CHECKING skill into the equation to enable players with a high check rating to actually check better. The first option is generally labelled as WBF rom, and the second is generally described as Blitz rom.

It would be important PRIOR to the draft to KNOW which one we are using.

#2 There are a lot of players in this ROM w/ very high stick control. Newer coaches need to be aware that the B check might not work as easy as normal, and you will find guys with stick handling 5 & higher to be tougher to knock down at times. Think of Classic, when some times fat Mario on Pitt is just not going down even though he normally does. This is usually because of his high stick control, and you can't knock him down from certain angles, etc. I just wanted to highlight this so come draft day, coaches are prepared that no matter what your team LOOKS like, the other 15-20 teams you will be playing are going to have way different rosters than what you are accustomed to defending, and try to keep that in mind.

#3 I'm going to agree w/ Plabax's points but with an asterisk. If you have a ROM full of guys w/ great skating, and Chara's big arse is a 3/3 McSorley style, I would think that someone who is known for skating better would expect to get a better rating than that. I also have dealt with Plabax's arguing style, and it normally does lead one to telling him to go f-himself. And, all the guys w/ more class to their demeanor have clearly stated a guy like Plabax should not be publicly calling out Skip. I'm going to agree that his rant on the league AIM chat was wrong, and lead to the early dismissal, but that's not really a "PUBLIC" calling out. Skip posted here kicking him out. However, I think it was more the EXPECTATION of what Plabax was going to be like to manage that got him kicked out more than just the AIM rant about one player.

I do think anyone creating a league on the site w/ the ROM should expect feedback from all players, some positive and some negative. For me, it 1000% percent will not be anything close to resembling Classic, because the ROM is all out of whack because real life doesn't translate easily into NHL94, imo (as Plabax pointed on goalies, etc). BUT, just like when we did that tournament where we created our own teams w/ a set number of rating points, IT WILL STILL play like NHL'94!!!

And that of course will make it awesome! Look forward to our games buds, and thanks for the invite Skip.

Yes, yes, and more yes.

1. I think we've confirmed we have the WBF in that makes chk rating matter. Smoz hack should have fixed this.

2. Very true. I need to temper that a bit next season, or go to 1-15 for ratings.

3. That really is the thing - it isn't that I necessarily disagreed with anything said (though I pretty much did), but it is the way it is said and the "future outlook" of how things would be. That being said, I want to create a page for "Ratings Feedback" where that can be a forum for such things. If anyone saw Depch's post in the AIM group, that is how you voice an argument. You give a statement and give proper backing to that statement. I whole-heartedly agree with everything Depch said in the AIM group, and love the way he said it.

Really, I do need help with these rosters and the ratings. I am always tweaking things because I get new info or see something that makes me rethink my original position on a player. But it is difficult to follow everything and get everything "perfect", if there is such a thing. There are plenty of attributes that aren't perfect simulations of the real life players. But like Brutus said, that is ok. This is still NHL94, just a bit different :)

I'd love to have him, but he has been really unresponsive so far. Since we are moving down to 18, and he was the last to confirm, I have to remove him and add him to the waitlist. Sucks, but we need to keep it at 18 or 20 and GoPens94 was super-flake. Said he really wanted to play and then did not answer two emails, but viewed them ;)

Sorry, Atomic Raven. Answer my pm's bud! Happy to discuss with you or get you back in if we can find a 20th last minute.

All - I have two drafts set to go - one for 18 teams and one for 20. Both are in the gdoc.

L = even

R = odd

Just to be perfectly clear, under the column titled "GIH H/F", if the number is zero or even, they are left handed, and odd numbers are right handed?

I would have expected numbers to be either 1 or 2, but Corey Perry has a 7? Any significance to the higher numbers? (Or maybe I have the wrong category altogether?)